onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Matchday thread: Port Vale v Gillingham

robf

There is a thuggish and racist element within our support base as, sadly, there is at the majority of football clubs. Smurf was right to flag it up but could have chosen his words more carefully. I support the club first and foremost. Players and chairmen will come and go but it is paramount that the Club is still there to enjoyed by future generations. That support partially means financial support. Paying into the coffers of other clubs to the detriment of your club is ludicrous. Based upon some of the Chairmen Vale have had over the 56 years I've been on this earth I would probably have missed 60% of our home games on the premise adopted in respect of Smurf. He's made mistakes and he will continue to make mistakes as we all do. At the moment I believe he's got the best intentions for maintaining the Vale legacy.

Back then Bon'Ami we only had the local radio and the Sentinel spreading the word; today we have a 24/7 social media. Back then it was news limited mainly to game time; now - well now just about anything goes, any time and, at times, shared without pausing for thought. Hence the reason this little vegemite chooses to avoid Twitter. Facebook and the like.

Advert

Back then Bon'Ami we only had the local radio and the Sentinel spreading the word; today we have a 24/7 social media. Back then it was news limited mainly to game time; now - well now just about anything goes, any time and, at times, shared without pausing for thought. Hence the reason this little vegemite chooses to avoid Twitter. Facebook and the like.
For decades, most did not know who the chairmen were, even more had never heard or seen them, now we have an extrovert chairman who talks and tweets a lot. A vast difference, but the main thing is the football is getting better, not to be missed just because of the difference.

Wish I'd put some money on it!

Had a nightmare on Saturday. Usually I would be on the road at 9am but had an appointment. So set off at half 10. Still loads of time you would have thought.

Sat on the M25 for half an hour not moving. M40 fooked. M1 fooked. Sat Nav said go via Oxford ... all options meant an arrival after kick off.

PITA.

I won't spend a Saturday in queuing traffic for anyone. Went home. Bought the dog a birthday present and went for a 10k run.

Still at least the result went right. So first game will now be the 1st October home match. Can everyone just stay off the M25, M40, M42 and M6 for me. Thanks.

At least you tried.

A few comments about the game.

First half we played the ball far too slow and without any real direction. Tavares and Foley were awful and struggled to get into the game. Purkiss was sloppy in possession and the wingers were just getting kicked about so also couldn't influence anything.

The changes made were spot on. Getting Tavares off helped speed up the play (although we had improved up until his departure anyway) and Shalaj really kept the Gills on the back foot. We started to dominate and it seemed a matter of time before we equalised and then there was only going to be one winner. We seem to have a habit of starting slowly and that needs to be rectified as better teams will punish us harder.

Alnwick - 7 - A relative spectator but did well when called upon.

Purkiss - 6 - Dreary first half but improved. Probably doesn't help having the very attack minded Jones in front of him.

Knops - 7 - Doing very much what Purkiss did last year. Steady in all areas every game.

Streete - 9 - Man mountain and needs a new contract. Smith may be getting the plaudits a lot but this lad is equally as good.

Smith - 8 - Unlucky not to score again and his aerial ability is astonishing at times.

Grant - 8 - Started well but faded a little in the first half as he seemed to get frustrated. Second half though he was outstanding and completely ran the game and unlucky not to score.

Tavares - 5 - Although he improved second half something isn't quite right with him. Not interested off the ball and the flair has gone from him.

Foley - 6 - Seemed way off the pace first half and was nowhere. Improved dramatically when put deeper second half. Quite simply not an attacking midfielder.

Jones - 8 - Very quiet offensively first half due to a lack of service but once he went into a front two he came alive. His runs kept the defence on their toes and his goal was taken superbly!

Thomas - 7 - Lucky to have any legs left and it showed as he struggled to make the impact he did last week. Kept going at it though just needs a bit better end delivery.

Paterson - 6 - Unfairly treated by some fans as he played the lone role when we were awful behind him. Tried hard but had no support.

Cecilia - 7 - Game changer. Improves by the week. Held the ball well and unlucky not to score.

Shalaj - 7 - Equally important sub. Great on the ball and another that could have scored.

Brown - 7 - Saw out the final minutes like the grizzled pro he is!

Tavares looked nowhere near 100% to me, perhaps he hasn't recovered fully from his recent injury. Personally I'd like to see Amoros be given a place in the side for the time being. A right little battler but also not without quality on the ball.

Agree completely. Amoros moved the ball quickly against Scunthorpe. Ideal for a game based on pass and move.

My take on the game is similar to everyones , but what happened to the first assault on Thomas the ref ignored it then he had a word was the fourth official involved? There tactics were brutal in the extream suppose thats why they subbed the lad at half time. The second half we were well worth the three points. I noticed when we scored the second Dack disappeared down the tunnel! Considering he has not played a lot he lookedvery good indeed. Great knopps came over and had a chat at the end top bloke we really have the makings of a very good team.

Paterson - 6 - Unfairly treated by some fans as he played the lone role when we were awful behind him. Tried hard but had no support.

I'm with you on that. I think he was off the pace and didn't look a goal threat but some fans don't half "go for it" when they spot a player having a poor game. For me, Paterson did better when we switched to a front two and then made the odd nice touch. But the amount of abuse I heard directed his way you'd have thought he had missed ten open goals...

He's clearly not match fit and arguably should not have started - but is that his fault? He did what he could when not match fit, admittedly that wasn't very much and he had a poor game. However, I do wonder why once the starting eleven is picked we just don't try and encourage everyone, even those having an off day?

It may actually do more good that screaming abuse at someone who isn't match fit, is in the first eleven (so there's not much we can do about it) and may benefit from positive rather than negative comments...

There was also some chap near me constantly moaning about Alnwick. I don't understand what these people want. He's in League One for a reason: he's young, he's still learning and I think he has great potential. I thought he didn't do much wrong at all on Saturday. He will make mistakes but I think he's a very good prospect. Why not let him make the odd misdirected kick without moaning at the top of your voice every time it doesn't quite work?

We're in fifth place now. Is there really that much of a need to moan? For the next game, I would rather someone else started ahead of Paterson but if he starts, why don't we encourage him rather than moan at everything he does?

:upthevale:

I'm with you on that. I think he was off the pace and didn't look a goal threat but some fans don't half "go for it" when they spot a player having a poor game. For me, Paterson did better when we switched to a front two and then made the odd nice touch. But the amount of abuse I heard directed his way you'd have thought he had missed ten open goals...

He's clearly not match fit and arguably should not have started - but is that his fault? He did what he could when not match fit, admittedly that wasn't very much and he had a poor game. However, I do wonder why once the starting eleven is picked we just don't try and encourage everyone, even those having an off day?

It may actually do more good that screaming abuse at someone who isn't match fit, is in the first eleven (so there's not much we can do about it) and may benefit from positive rather than negative comments...

There was also some chap near me constantly moaning about Alnwick. I don't understand what these people want. He's in League One for a reason: he's young, he's still learning and I think he has great potential. I thought he didn't do much wrong at all on Saturday. He will make mistakes but I think he's a very good prospect. Why not let him make the odd misdirected kick without moaning at the top of your voice every time it doesn't quite work?

We're in fifth place now. Is there really that much of a need to moan? For the next game, I would rather someone else started ahead of Paterson but if he starts, why don't we encourage him rather than moan at everything he does?

:upthevale:

Well said Rob! Look two opposing managers have said the fans helped the Vale ! Well great thats what fans are supposed to do! Lets get more vocal and get a few more in the park and we may be worth a two goal start. Theres a great oppertunity here for as to do well lets get 100% behind the lads and push on .

The very fact that all visiting managers are coming up with lame, bizzare, excuses for us beating them at each & every home game speaks volumes & just goes to show the progress that we're making......

It will certainly be interesting to see if it continues. The next home game is Neil Harris' Millwall. Surely he can't say the home fans create an intimidating atmosphere, can he? I will be delighted if he has to come up with a lame excuse for a Millwall loss though!

Just thought I'd check the Fair Play League to see the respective position of Vale and the Gills:

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/english-league-one/25/statistics/fairplay

Early in the season I know but, after Satdee's display, is it any surprise to see Gills with the third worst record?

The refs must be being intimidated everywhere they go!

Just thought I'd check the Fair Play League to see the respective position of Vale and the Gills:

Early in the season I know but, after Satdee's display, is it any surprise to see Gills with the third worst record?

I said to my dad after the game i didn't think anyone would be as bad as Southend were but they easily matched them for being dirty and cynical.

We have played 5 of the top 7 worst

Archived