onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Matchday thread: Port Vale v Gillingham

robf

Advert

[quote=Biddulph_PV;671487

Finally, a special mention to the referee whose 1st half performance went beyond incompetent. Totally oblivious to their rudby-style tackling first half and I counted 3 'last warnings' for their no 6 which inevitably lead to his substitution at half time when he should have been already off.

I was amazes to see the referee give him 3 final warnings, then book him for the next offence. Only to give him another final warning immediately after the booking for another offence. What would it have taken to actually get sent off by this official?

Just got back. I thought Gillingham just nicked the first half and the last 30 minutes we battered them. Excellent management changing the formation and moving Jones down the middle. Last year our team would have settled for a point but we pushed on. I presume Amoros was sacrificed to allow Brown in the bench. It's great to see the team has the determination to fight when going 1 nil down. Thomas superb today, Jones a natural goal scorer, back four immense, Cecilia looking good and Grant simply sublime. The Ribeiro Revolution continues. UTV.

normally agree with you a lot beech, but on this occasion i cant, i like tavares he put's in a terrific shift, and his experience is vital in games like today in how we fought back.

Fair enough pal! I didn't think he was at his best or anywhere near, but certainly can't fault his effort, and after a recent injury he's probably not quite 100%. I'm by no means saying that I don't like Tavares because I like him a lot, and wish I could rock a beard like he does. But I am a fan of Amoros and think he's pushing hard for a starting place.

Fair enough pal! I didn't think he was at his best or anywhere near, but certainly can't fault his effort, and after a recent injury he's probably not quite 100%. I'm by no means saying that I don't like Tavares because I like him a lot, and wish I could rock a beard like he does. But I am a fan of Amoros and think he's pushing hard for a starting place.

yeah ah he does pull of a good beard like quite wished i could to.

to think we had no forrester, no amoros?, it shows weve got a good squad, i liked the look of that gezim when he came on tbh.

yeah ah he does pull of a good beard like quite wished i could to.

to think we had no forrester, no amoros?, it shows weve got a good squad, i liked the look of that gezim when he came on tbh.

Yeah, he's fast and direct. He'll cause plenty of problems in this league once settled and up to scratch fitness wise.

And completely agree about the squad. Amoros, De Freitas and Forrester can all challenge for a first first team spot from what we've seen out of those missing today, while we have yet to really see what Santos and Kiko can offer.

I disagree we were "dog ****". Gillingham gave us no time on the ball and consistently fouled us without the ref doing enough about it. However from about 35 minutes their intensity seemed to drop and then we took the game to them. You have to win the right to play your game, and that was what we did first 35 and why it was so scrappy.

Above was a reply to this

We were slow out of the blocks in my opinion. Gillingham obviously came with a plan and to their credit it worked, but we weren't moving the ball anything like quickly enough, weren't making anything like the most of it when we got in decent areas and generally looked like we were going through the motions a bit against a physical side for the first half an hour or so, if not the whole half. When we improved on all of that in the 2nd half against a tiring team we obviously got our just rewards.

Great turnaround. Paterson tried but the ball kept bouncing back with him up top. Cecilas intro and the change in formation totally changed the game. Another example of Bruno outwitting another opponent with simple changes. The futures bright, the futures vale.

To be fair to Patterson he worked hard all the first half operating on his own, which has never been his game. Coupled with some really poor attempts at getting the ball in the box (including set pieces) it was clear that we needed to push the anonymous Jones a bit narrower to benefit them both. This happened early in the second half and when Tavares left the field resulting in Foley delivering set pieces the improvement was there to be seen.

Our second half display was superb for the full 45 minutes. We played with width, desire and a tempo that we hadn't had in the first half.

Personally, I didn't think some of the lads were at their best today - notably Purkiss (who is yet to recapture last season's form), Tavares, Foley, Paterson & Thomas (who was getting fouled a lot but whose crossing was poor). Nonetheless, no-one hid and they all put in a massive shift.

Smith and Streete were both excellent. How does Smith win so many high balls? Grant was excellent (overall), and Jones played well in the second half when he was more central and he used his running power off the ball to unsettle them.

Cecilia did well for the brief time he was on the pitch.

And we've still got the likes of De Freitas, Forrester and Amoros in reserve.

A very good win today against a physical and 'dirty' team at times, who broke up the play deliberately and wasted time at every opportunity. They were oh so lucky to finish with 11 men on the pitch. I'm delighted they got their just desserts.

A very entertaining second 45 minutes - with special mention for Knell Knops for staying behind and talking to the fans on the railways side. I'm sure he made some youngsters' very happy. Great stuff from him.

First 45 we struggled a bit and there were few chances. I saw Gillingham allowed to get away with systematic fouling to break up play and stop indidual players and particularly Jerome Thomas. They were trying to injure him and have caused light injuries. After they got bookings and Vale stepped up the pace and flowing football it was a well deserved win. Also very entertaining.

Archived