onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Barnsley (H) match thread - Boxing Day

robf

What I'm finding odd about the current situation ( and I'm amongst the dissenters ) is that things were worse under Bruno and Brown yet I didn't feel this angry then as I do now.
Wasters like Sam Kelly, Michael Tonge, Ryan Taylor. Some utter dross particularly under Brown arguably the worst Vale manager ever . 
But I feel more angst and disaffection towards the club than back then yet we are in a higher division. 
Odd really considering but I'm so apathetic towards this bunch. 

Probably because you know that this squad is capable of so much more but for whatever reason are not performing consistently to the standard they are capable of.
  • Like 2

Advert

1 hour ago, andy jones said:

Thought our support was brilliant today.

Right from the start of the second half as soon as we could see the players were going to put a shift in, the crowd really got behind the team

Begs the question ... why weren't they putting a shift in in the first half.

The difference when JW came on! Wow, all of a sudden the likes of Chislett and Devine sprang into life.

Should Ryan Loft have been left on to play with JW instead of Uche?

The same Uche that had an integral part in both goals? And actually held the ball up successfully on multiple occasions? Don’t think Loft held it up even once successfully in the first half. I know it’s been said by others before but I’d genuinely take the likes of Reggie, Paterson, Guthrie and Robinson over him. He is garbage. Still don’t think it’s right cheering when he goes off mind.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rodge said:

Probably because you know that this squad is capable of so much more but for whatever reason are not performing consistently to the standard they are capable of.

The question is though is that all down to the manager, all down to the players, or a bit of both…….or maybe summat else?  Flickers, Carol, Kevin, Donno, Robbie, recruitment, the Hamil switch, Railway bogs, new pitch, queues, incomplete new Lorne Street, Hollands pies, fans, atmosphere, aliens……er…opposing teams not rolling over….

52 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

What I'm finding odd about the current situation ( and I'm amongst the dissenters ) is that things were worse under Bruno and Brown yet I didn't feel this angry then as I do now.

Wasters like Sam Kelly, Michael Tonge, Ryan Taylor. Some utter dross particularly under Brown arguably the worst Vale manager ever . 

But I feel more angst and disaffection towards the club than back then yet we are in a higher division. 

Odd really considering but I'm so apathetic towards this bunch. 

I’m the same and I think it’s because we know the squad is actually ok. League 1 is terrible this year - I mean we’ve been this bad and are still 7 points clear of relegation. With a proper manager in we could have a decent season. But instead we are subjected to the most boring football I’ve ever seen, on a par with Aspin’s. And it’s more frustrating because we are wasting talent. At least under brown and Bruno, the managers were <ovf censored>, but so were the players.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, soothsayer said:

The support was great from the ones who stayed but I’d say at least 10% of home fans left at HT however, from an atmosphere viewpoint, they weren’t missed. Perhaps they went home to prepare their latest posts for OVF?

In times of adversity fans need to support the team. I’m no happy clapper who’ll give applause to that first half performance but neither will I boo my team. 
The match stats are interesting that we had more possession, double the opposition’s shots and treble their corner count but Barnsley deserved their win as we were no near the levels required to win a match in the first half. Positives for me was the performances of the two youngsters who came on and Wilson’s performance.

I do support the team from 1969 and go away to Portsmouth and Stevenage etc. I sing every song and never boo players. I went when the 3rd goal went in. I was jealous of the wife babysitting my two lovely grandaughters and I was getting angrier by the second watching that shower. Will be there Friday and will walk again if the players can't be bothered.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Powerline said:

The same Uche that had an integral part in both goals? And actually held the ball up successfully on multiple occasions? Don’t think Loft held it up even once successfully in the first half. I know it’s been said by others before but I’d genuinely take the likes of Reggie, Paterson, Guthrie and Robinson over him. He is garbage. Still don’t think it’s right cheering when he goes off mind.

Id agree and Loft had an integral part in one of Barnsley's goals with a failure to hold it up in his own half. However he does try-you can't knock his effort, and getting on his back probably won't help his confidence. Is he good enough? No.. but is that his fault or the person who thought he was good enough for this level and for the number 9 shirt. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, ginge said:

Id agree and Loft had an integral part in one of Barnsley's goals with a failure to hold it up in his own half. However he does try-you can't knock his effort, and getting on his back probably won't help his confidence. Is he good enough? No.. but is that his fault or the person who thought he was good enough for this level and for the number 9 shirt. 

I don’t think he’s lazy but he doesn’t seem to put 100% in, but then again you can’t blame him with the abuse he’s gotten. He’s one of the worst strikers I’ve ever seen but I wouldn’t boo him so agree with you on that.

53 minutes ago, 1 said:

We absolutely dominated the second half. Had a hatful of chances, some good saves, a goal disallowed and some decent goals. Make the changes after half an hour rather than half time and we win that game.

I have defended Crosby at times but I will find it indefensible if he starts with Massey and Loft next game. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Rodge said:

Sorry Rodge. Have to question that this squad is capable of so much more. Todays team :

Ripley - Good but please learn to concentrate more. Should he be beaten like the third goal today ?

Back three - Poor. Debra ok. Lowe too slow and not strong enough. Iacovitti So poor as a defender. Needs to be told its panto season " Hes behind you " To be fair he left the ball because his man was never going to get it. Grant left his man alone and never chased back. Second goal also poor marking from Iacovitti Very poor

Midfield four - Massey and Grant poor. Stand out wide and offer no movement when ball behind and needs to be played forward. No goals whatsoever in them.  Walters poor. Didnt know he was on today. What has happened to his early season performances, he at least showed effort and fight. He is slow and not the most skillful to me. Certainly not a ' real gem ' of a prospect. Does he want to go elsewhere ? Leaves just Garrity. Terrific performances this season. Play anywhere and gives his all. Unfortunately playing in this position, leaves this whole midfield four offering almost no goals.

Two attacking midfield - Devine, certainly his class shows. Passing very good, pace, looks to score goals. Chislett, now playing with more effort and fight in midfield and still offers goals from his forward runs.

Striker - Cannot call Loft a striker. Very poor, offers nothing.

Todays team is our squad and it was so weak looking even before kick off.

Smith to compete in the back three and should improve us but he doesnt seem to want it himself. Played out of position too much and may be sulking i dont know but he needs to show he wants a shirt. Even with Smith its not the best back three.

Massively miss Ojo and Arblaster in the center. Sang and Clarke would strengthen us out wide. Still not sure how good that makes us.

Devine Chislett then add Garrity and we look lots better.

Loft Uche Thomas. No thanks to any of them. Oh for Wilson being fit for three months. How we need this.

Desperate to strengthen this squad. Back to money !!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soothsayer said:

The support was great from the ones who stayed but I’d say at least 10% of home fans left at HT however, from an atmosphere viewpoint, they weren’t missed. Perhaps they went home to prepare their latest posts for OVF?

In times of adversity fans need to support the team. I’m no happy clapper who’ll give applause to that first half performance but neither will I boo my team. 
The match stats are interesting that we had more possession, double the opposition’s shots and treble their corner count but Barnsley deserved their win as we were no near the levels required to win a match in the first half. Positives for me was the performances of the two youngsters who came on and Wilson’s performance.

Give over. Booing happens at just about every stadium up and down the country now and again. There's a massive difference between booing a team collectively and booing individual players, the latter being something I don't agree with. Manchester United were booed off at half-time today. They came back and won the game, and were applauded off it come the final whistle. That's football.

Edited by Valiiant
  • Like 6

Sometimes a team of players (not individuals) need a rayt good BOOOOOing as they go off.

Politely applauding them at half-time today would suggest that that absolute shower was befitting of this football club, of the 100+ year history and the thousands of fans who have come and gone over the years. It would be an affront to PVFC to not let the players know that they were performing unacceptably and the fans have standards way above whatever they were providing.

I never, ever boo an individual, but if a group of players aren't representing PVFC as my Grandad would want them to, then the only way I can let them know is a good boo. Get your act together, sort it out, and I'll be right behind you again after half-time.

Sometimes you have to have tough chats with people - make them get a grip, grow up, sort it out etc. Then you move on, and next time you see them you're sound again.

That's a boo for me. Get a grip. We go again.

BOOOOOO

Edited by JoeB2
  • Like 7