onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Barnsley (H) match thread - Boxing Day

robf

Advert

The minimum you would expect is your team to show pride and put in effort.  If they do that you can accept not winning.  Hardly anyone did that in the first half and to me that isnt acceptable.  Our home form should be far better . I   know we have lost important players to injury James Wilson, Mitch Clarke Ollie and Funso, quality and experience are essential . There was a player in our team today who didnt tackle or pass or even make a contribution, who may think he is better than he is. I'm not naming any names. The transformation after half time was there for all to see.  But why do we think we cannot beat teams in the top 7 or 8, we won 2-0 second half, so why not show that attitude from the start, its bizarre. Do we have  an inferiority complex? We shouldn't do .. Burton beat Blackpool today.  I expect us to show a lot more than we did today in the first half, on Friday.  Fans will accept defeat if they see their team trying, look at the transformation in the crowd during the second half.  Give the fans some effort and they will back you! Well done James Sharrock on your goal and class from James Wilson linking with Chizzy and Ben Lomax on the other side.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, andy jones said:

Thing is BJ whilst so many of us agree with that thought I think we all need to appreciate that it's all part of a project to make the club financially stable. Bringing Academy lads through playing that style makes them attractive propositions to transfer.

Losing every week is part of the project, aye?

Why can't Pete Wild or Duff be part of that project? Why is it wedded to the inexperienced cheap option who's never managed before?

That sounds harsh and I don't like to write it, but ultimately it's true. 

The following is what I wrote when they sacked DC. Was I right?

On 19/04/2023 at 19:09, Doha said:

I think Crosby is a really good bloke. He comes over exceptionally well in his interviews.

I'm just not sure it'll sell STs and raise funds like an experienced manager/name would. This needs to be a massive summer/pre-season in all sorts of ways and it'd be asking a lot of him for his first full time managerial role. 

On 05/05/2023 at 15:02, Doha said:

I really like him.

I really don't want him to be manager next season though.

Don't fck it up Carol.

On 12/05/2023 at 16:41, Doha said:

Bang on.

Fantastic bloke, but 3 points out of 21. Offering Benning a deal. I'm concerned already too.

Edited by Doha
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Hoppers said:

Perhaps deep, deep deep down, subconsciously, you know this bunch underneath it all are decent footballers 👍👍

Some of them are. 

Many I'm looking forward to seeing listed at the bottom of the retained list post on the OS on June 1st.

• Haha 1

I sat there today wondering why I had bothered for 75 minutes. You can predict the way we play. Slow, slow ponderous build up. Might work if we had pace up front. Dreadful and only salvaged by a couple of youngsters late on busting a gut to impress. Can honestly say I've never been so bored watching us play

Sent from my XQ-CC54 using onevalefan mobile app

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Doha said:

Losing every week is part of the project, aye?

Why can't Pete Wild or Duff be part of that project? Why is it wedded to the inexperienced cheap option who's never managed before?

That sounds harsh and I don't like to write it, but ultimately it's true. 

The following is what I wrote when they sacked DC. Was I right?

The Benning deal was never offered to him l last summer. Benning had an option of 12 months IF he played a certain number of games. He did, took the option then Shrewsbury came in for him. The deal, with the option, was offered in summer 2022. It's arguable the mistake was letting him go to Shrewsbury without an alternative in place. That said if there was still a free transfer LWB alternative available Shrewsbury wouldn't have been in for Benning, they'd have signed the alternative. 

6 minutes ago, JRC said:

The Benning deal was never offered to him l last summer. Benning had an option of 12 months IF he played a certain number of games. He did, took the option then Shrewsbury came in for him. The deal, with the option, was offered in summer 2022. It's arguable the mistake was letting him go to Shrewsbury without an alternative in place. That said if there was still a free transfer LWB alternative available Shrewsbury wouldn't have been in for Benning, they'd have signed the alternative. 

That quote was written in May when Vale had released this statement

Saying the following - 

"The following players are out of contract this summer but remain in conversation with the club with regards to renewed terms:

Mal Benning"

So they'd told us he was out of contract but we were offering him a deal, hence what I wrote.

It was absolutely a mistake in not having a replacement lined up before letting him go because it meant shoehorning Plant out of position and leaving the poor kid hung out to dry when the opposition would bombard him with diagonals and runners. Benning wasn't good enough consistently for L1 but at least he was a round peg in a round hole.

Edited by Doha

44 minutes ago, gags 64 said:

I sat there today wondering why I had bothered for 75 minutes. You can predict the way we play. Slow, slow ponderous build up. Might work if we had pace up front. Dreadful and only salvaged by a couple of youngsters late on busting a gut to impress. Can honestly say I've never been so bored watching us play

Sent from my XQ-CC54 using onevalefan mobile app

First half they had 4 chances and took 3. We had 2 and took neither.  Thought we played well throughout the second half. The difference was Devine playing deeper. We need one of the 2 central midfield players to have the craft to be able to break through the first line of the press. Garrity, Lowe and Walters don't. When Devine did it that pulled a couple of defenders/deeper midfield players towards him into space, which created room for Chislett,  Wilson and Uche to get into space.

Saturday and first half yesterday we allowed the opposition to stay in shape. That resulted in Chislett and Drvine dropping deeper to try and get into space but left them nowhere near Loft when we ended up going long. On Saturday we improved a little when Wilson came on, mainly because he also came deeper looking for space. That worked to a degree but also compressed the play.

Bottom line yesterday was we had 5 good chances inside or around the 6 yard box; Lacovitti free header from a corner, Chislett left footed shot from corner of 6 yard box, Chislett centre of the goal inside the 6 yard box, Wilson free header inside the 6 yard box, the 2cd goal. Barnsley would have scored at least 2 and probably 3 of those chances.  You won't go a whole game without conceding chances so we have to be more clinical with the ones we get. The Chislett shot tipped over the ball was even a better opportunity than their 3rd goal, as it was closer, he had time and the ball sat up perfectly.  A yard either side of the keeper and it was a goal.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Doha said:

That quote was written in May when Vale had released this statement

Saying the following - 

"The following players are out of contract this summer but remain in conversation with the club with regards to renewed terms:

Mal Benning"

So they'd told us he was out of contract but we were offering him a deal, hence what I wrote.

It was absolutely a mistake in not having a replacement lined up before letting him go because it meant shoehorning Plant out of position and leaving the poor kid hung out to dry when the opposition would bombard him with diagonals and runners. Benning wasn't good enough consistently for L1 but at least he was a round peg in a round hole.

To be fair to Plant I don't think he's been worse than Benning in that role. Plant wouldn't be playing if we were using him behind the main forward because Chislett,  Devine and Garrity are all better. I don't particularly think letting Benning go had a material effect on the team until Plant did his shoulder.  I agree that we are not as strong as we need to be at LWB. Benning was a streaky player, when he was good he was better than Plant, when he was bad he was way worse. Plant has been consistently OK playing there.

Tried praise the performance second half on Facebook and got hammered by derogatory comments like Deluded I don't think I am deluded played very well second half today and all game v Wigan its a damn sight better than watching us last season .

I think we were a far worser team last season in my opinion crossing the ball in 150 times  a game to no one .

At least James Wilson looks like a top player gamely in this set up 

I said before the game change the wing backs the change in the team when we had more go in them.areas was very telling .

I'm feeling pretty optimistic about the future after second half display remember Barnsley were play off finalists last season and some of the crap ive read about taking there best players off , we played all our game without 2 of our best players so that argument means nowt to me .

Vale will be fine this season 

Those who stayed in the ground were superb in there encouragement and I don't give a damn what folk say Vale deserved win that game 4-3 .

So UTV bring on the Blackpool same performance all 90 required .

In defeat sometimes theres victory 

I'd love us go on a run and play them twice more in play offs next time we beat Barnsley I predict 

UTV 

Edited by Devine intervention

On reflection I've not mellowed. At the time he took Massey and The Yak off I feared he'd thrown the young kids under a bus as it could of really backfired. ( the other 2 deserved subbing ). 

It could of gone 1-5 maybe but instead the 2 young kids impressed and wanted to give it their all resulting in an exciting last 10 minutes. 

But overall it hides the picture of the first hour. Dreadful. 

We have Loft hooked on 45 after his diabolical part in their 3rd with Ripley. Uche on as sub who wasn't even named on the bench. Think Dipepa took ill or injured during the warm up. Wilson a player who is always injured and who was dangled a lifeline then comes on and impresses. 

So our forward options 

Loft. Up there with the most disinterested donkeys I've ever seen. Martin Henderson and Paterson being challenged by him. 

Uche. Who despite the cult chanting and general warmth has yet to even score or look like scoring and had been jettisoned from the squad.

Wilson the prodigal son. Came back with tail between his legs as Fleetwood didn't fancy him. Yet clearly our best striker.

Thomas. Josh who ? Rarely given a game and in reality a poor loan. 

So there we have it folks. What a strike force to fear. Recruitment there has been scandalous and a dereliction of duty that those four carry our hopes. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think Crosbys downfall is he thinks too much about the opposition .

How can we stop them well its proven the more players up front the better the performance if you high pressing they cannot get out unfortunately with Loft up therei t was all too easy for them get out .

The difference when Wilson and Uche were up there was extremely positive for Vale ,I'd like know why Wilson did not start .

I think Massey is back to his usual self (struggling)I mean since playing well v Wigan v Middlesboro missed a open goal which he should have headed in v Wycombe it was his man who scored Wycombes goal and yesterday one decent ball in 90 lomax did more in whatever time he was on the pitch in fact he put that glorious through ball for Uche to put on a plate for Shorrock he also put one through where Wilson was brought down  the  linesman on railway was quick put his flag up for offside to  stop Vale but not Barnsleys offside first goal he was quite happy keep it down there,

in fact in his time on he would have gained a 8 in that final cross which sailed out if it had of stayed in 

So my marks 

Ripley 4 not having the best of times at present conceded 11 in last four home games the third goal yesterday he should be saving that 

Debrah 5 kept going possibly at fault for second goal as player got away from him ,second half kept bringing that ball forwards well.

Lowe 5 my lad reckons he was playing Barnsley on for first goal .

Like most second half kept going well 

Icavetti 6 I think he grew into the game his passing was getting better and better second half in fact I thought he did OK. 

Devine 8 never stopped passed it so well second half kept winning the ball aswell thought he was generally good 

Garrity 7 captains performance second half really drove the Vale forwards let's hope in future the Vale pretend there already 3 down before a balls kicked if the team reacts as they did so well yesterday second half .

Grant 6 I thought he did well especially second half 

Chislett 7 what a fabulous goal and his other one what for  me I'm byest as was a perfectly good goal once again the linesman on the railway side wearing a Stoke scarf put his flag up again should have buried that one that come across the box .

Loft 3 gave the ball away for the third goal .

Not much of a contribution to anything Vale did rightfully substituted. 

Walters 4 surprised at him maybe the not signing a contract yet has destabilised him usually top notch yesterday was sadly not ,right to be substituted mind you could say that for all of them 

Massey 4 much ado about nothing .

Subs Wilson 7.8 movement superb play brilliant header rubbish 

Uche 7.2 did well the lad did glad see him back now play him with Wilson v Blackpool and every other game 

Shortock 7.9 like a man possessed only 16 I believe great goal constant threat every time got ball .

Lomax 7.8 loads of promise really good  

There my marks on a afternoon  where play off finalists last season (should have won )beat Vale because of Vales inept first half not necessarily because of anything they did as the second half proved like most teams in league 1 you can score v them if application is spot on and if you play well the fans react to that as yesterday proved in both ways first half naffed folk off some went home (my nephew went pub fuming)second half I actually come home with a smile on me face cause I for thought the Vale were excellent that half 

Hey football its a funny old game 

UTV 

Edited by Devine intervention

10 hours ago, Powerline said:

The same Uche that had an integral part in both goals? And actually held the ball up successfully on multiple occasions? Don’t think Loft held it up even once successfully in the first half. I know it’s been said by others before but I’d genuinely take the likes of Reggie, Paterson, Guthrie and Robinson over him. He is garbage. Still don’t think it’s right cheering when he goes off mind.

Uche was not even on the bench until abut 2.55pm yesterday

5 hours ago, Devine intervention said:

Tried praise the performance second half on Facebook and got hammered by derogatory comments like Deluded I don't think I am deluded played very well second half today and all game v Wigan its a damn sight better than watching us last season .

I think we were a far worser team last season in my opinion crossing the ball in 150 times  a game to no one .

At least James Wilson looks like a top player gamely in this set up 

I said before the game change the wing backs the change in the team when we had more go in them.areas was very telling .

I'm feeling pretty optimistic about the future after second half display remember Barnsley were play off finalists last season and some of the crap ive read about taking there best players off , we played all our game without 2 of our best players so that argument means nowt to me .

Vale will be fine this season 

Those who stayed in the ground were superb in there encouragement and I don't give a damn what folk say Vale deserved win that game 4-3 .

So UTV bring on the Blackpool same performance all 90 required .

In defeat sometimes theres victory 

I'd love us go on a run and play them twice more in play offs next time we beat Barnsley I predict 

UTV 

Phil, the game was lost in the first half by a total inept performance.

They never even got out of first gear to go 3-0 up with John McAtee being the best player on the pitch by a country mile & totally running the show. Then Cole had the defence, in particular Debrah, all over the place whilst he was on the pitch.

The tide turned when between the 46th & 68th minute, Barnsley took off their 4 best players to save them for Fridays game because the points were already in the bag at Vale.

I saw a quote on twitter which describes yesterday perfectly, we are playing like the Dog & Duck

• Like 1