onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Wycombe (A) match thread - 23rd Dec

robf

9 hours ago, Danish Valiant said:

Sang - Lowe - Debra - Grant

Of course, that was my mistake!

"This is real life not virtual football manager." I'm sorry, but I find that a bit arrogant, if not condescending. As if nobody knows anything about football? And I don't play Football Manager, just as a bonus information 😉 

And I agree, Ojo and Arblaster is a big big miss! But we'll have to get used to it for the foreseeable future...

I’m not suggesting “nobody knows anything about football”, what I am saying is that we know nothing to very little about the fitness of the players, we know nothing about other reasons behind their availability or lack of, Conlon as an example.  We also have no insight into the scouting reports that no doubt go into assisting the team selection.  So with the greatest respect, without the above information you’ve literally just thrown some names into a random formation.  Hopefully this doesn’t sound arrogant or condescending but if it does you’ll notice I’ve used the word “we” above as I’m no more knowledgable than you or anyone else on these matters.

I’ll just add that your back 4 doesn’t look the best……but what do I know?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Advert

1 hour ago, RPH-KV said:

What do people expect? How about playing a midfielder instead of a centre half in the middle (Lowe).  Take your pick from Walters Conlon Sang or Garrity - all would have done a better job than Lowe.

How about starting Grant on the left instead of a right footed player.   If he can’t do 90 minutes you start him.  How about realising what a stinker Massey was having and making a change.

When we first signed Lowe people complained he was primarily a midfield player and not a replacement for Forrester.  I personally think he's better in defence BUT he has played lots of Premiership and Championship football in midfield.  I think the difference was he player primarily in a midfield 3 at Blackburn and he lacks the energy and the passing range to play in a 2. Personally I'd have played Chislett or Devine deeper, with Garrity as one of the 10s, if I was going to bring Lowe in. We ended up with 2 deep players who weren't able to pass the ball with 2 creative 10s who never got the ball. 

They are clearly trying to manage Grant for the Christmas period. Sang and Massey were poor in the first half. There is a legitimate argument they could have moved Sang to the right but keeping one on at half time was akin to picking to have a broken left or right leg. Neither was an appealing option to keep on the pitch. Massey got worse in the second half. With hindsight Dan Jones would have been a better option at LWB if they felt Grant needed to be nursed through the Christmas period.  We've desperately needed an alternative to Grant since August. In the short-term I think we do need to give up on Sang as an emergency LWB, he's desperately poor in that position. 

Wycombe may well be in financial trouble in the medium term. When you look at their team sheet that squad hasn't come cheap. Not sure it's sustainable on sub 6000 gates. It looks like they've gambled on promotion,  which I don't think they are anywhere close to achieving. 

12 minutes ago, The French Connection said:

Think it might be time to take a beak from OVF.  The negativity on here is stifling. I just don't need it! 

And its good at present - as everyone is in the Christmas spirit mood 😍😍😍

Have a well earned Christmas break mate - then you can come back in the new year and it will all seem a lot less negative 😍😍😍😍😍 🙄🙄🙄🙄

Then again, thinking about it - perhaps best stay off forever 🤣🤣🤣🤣- in fact im joining you 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Hoppers
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

And its good at present - as everyone is in the Christmas spirit mood
Have a well earned Christmas break mate - then you can come back in the new year and it will all seem a lot less negative
Then again, thinking about it - perhaps best stay off forever - in fact im joining you

You can't leave both of you, the HCC AGM is set for mid February - who's going to chair the meeting and bring the Oatcakes ?
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Guitar Ray said:

I’m not suggesting “nobody knows anything about football”, what I am saying is that we know nothing to very little about the fitness of the players, we know nothing about other reasons behind their availability or lack of, Conlon as an example.  We also have no insight into the scouting reports that no doubt go into assisting the team selection.  So with the greatest respect, without the above information you’ve literally just thrown some names into a random formation.  Hopefully this doesn’t sound arrogant or condescending but if it does you’ll notice I’ve used the word “we” above as I’m no more knowledgable than you or anyone else on these matters.

I’ll just add that your back 4 doesn’t look the best……but what do I know?

I agree!

Bur let’s stick to what we do know; what AC said after the game.

”Their style suited the conditions better”. Then why insist on keeping to play a style that didn’t, and obviously helped play the game into their hands?

”There was a clash in formation, that gave them the advantage”. Again: for all the preparation, how can this come as a surprise? And given they were so much on the front foot, was he waiting for them to change it, to suit our formation? He should have changed it as soon as it became apparent, we were in no way, shape or form in the game at all! 

Those two statements from him, baffled me to be honest.

Edited by Danish Valiant
  • Like 5

33 minutes ago, Birches Head Fred said:
47 minutes ago, Hoppers said:
And its good at present - as everyone is in the Christmas spirit mood emoji7.pngemoji7.pngemoji7.png
Have a well earned Christmas break mate - then you can come back in the new year and it will all seem a lot less negative emoji7.pngemoji7.pngemoji7.pngemoji7.pngemoji7.png emoji849.pngemoji849.pngemoji849.pngemoji849.png
Then again, thinking about it - perhaps best stay off forever emoji1787.pngemoji1787.pngemoji1787.pngemoji1787.png- in fact im joining you emoji1787.pngemoji1787.pngemoji1787.png

You can't leave both of you, the HCC AGM is set for mid February - who's going to chair the meeting and bring the Oatcakes ?

Oh OK i`ll stay for the sake of the HCC - do you want bacon or sausage with cheese 😍😍😍😍

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Emile said:

I just think if fans aren't unhappy they should stop attending until a time where they are happier. Save the money from the ticket / ifollow and then put it into the club when you are feeling more up for it. 

If you only allowed happy people to attend games, Vale Park would be empty!! 

The only people who have been made continually happy by Vale over the past decade have been Norman Smurfwaite and his bank manager. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

11 minutes ago, Danish Valiant said:

I agree!

Bur let’s stick to what we do know; what DC said after the game.

”Their style suited the conditions better”. Then why insist on keeping to play a style, that didn’t, and obviously helpee play the game into their hands?

”There was a clash in formation, that gave them the advantage”. Again: for all the preparation, how can this come as a surprise? And given they were so much on the front foot, was he waiting for them to change it, to suit our formation? He should have changed it as soon as it became apparent, we were in no way, shape or form in the game at all! 

DC left quite a while ago. Keep up! 

10 minutes ago, Danish Valiant said:

I agree!

Bur let’s stick to what we do know; what DC said after the game.

”Their style suited the conditions better”. Then why insist on keeping to play a style, that didn’t, and obviously helpee play the game into their hands?

I think I was talking to Mickey Adams about why he didn't change formation often but it could have been a different Vale manager. Whoever it was said that lower league footballers struggled to adapt to changes in formation whereas the difference at the top levels players had greater football intelligence.  I'm not sure it's as simple as looking at the weather Saturday morning and going out and playing hoof ball in the afternoon. 

• Like 1