onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Wycombe (A) match thread - 23rd Dec

robf

Advert

1 hour ago, Hot Rat said:

I think the problem isn't the possession based football, its the pace of the game. We played pacey possession based football with a high press against Wigan and the result was very entertaining. Unfortunately when we take our foot off the gas the same system looks ponderous. 

Agree to some extent but doesn't possession based football lead to a slowing down of the game?

The game becomes a bit cat and mousy then a restart by passing it backwards to retain possession.

I've stopped watching EPL stuff for these reasons but Vale and England are an exception.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JRC said:

In many ways says a lot about our fan base. The 3 most successful managers in my lifetime in terms of league positions at the end of the season, or when they left were, (I'm fairly sure) Rudge, Horton and Sproson. 2 of the 3 most fans wanted sacked,  possibly all 3. There were a lot of grumbling about Rudge at the end.

Very true. I went to Rotherham when Vale lost four something and some fans were on the pitch at the end chanting Rudge Out!. One of them was a local councillor named Lamingham or something like and he was stamping his scarf into the turf.

2 minutes ago, Phil500 said:

Very true. I went to Rotherham when Vale lost four something and some fans were on the pitch at the end chanting Rudge Out!. One of them was a local councillor named Lamingham or something like and he was stamping his scarf into the turf.

Knowing Vale fans, Rudge had probably been gone ten years. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Hot Rat said:

I think the problem isn't the possession based football, its the pace of the game. We played pacey possession based football with a high press against Wigan and the result was very entertaining. Unfortunately when we take our foot off the gas the same system looks ponderous. 

Spot on.  Also, you’ve got to match the opposition as a bare minimum. I felt the tempo was far low too against Wycombe until the subs came on, but maybe we were jaded from being given the run around on the Tuesday.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

Agree to some extent but doesn't possession based football lead to a slowing down of the game?

The game becomes a bit cat and mousy then a restart by passing it backwards to retain possession.

I've stopped watching EPL stuff for these reasons but Vale and England are an exception.

Agreed, it can as the team in control of possession dictates the pace of the game - but if they are a good enough they can speed it up at the drop of a hat. The fact that we can only up the pace successfully one in 5 games is probably more indicative of the quality of the players in league 1. Premier league players can produce the goods more consistently hence cost more. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Hot Rat said:

Agreed, it can as the team in control of possession dictates the pace of the game - but if they are a good enough they can speed it up at the drop of a hat. The fact that we can only up the pace successfully one in 5 games is probably more indicative of the quality of the players in league 1. Premier league players can produce the goods more consistently hence cost more. 

I think it's a fair analysis. I felt that was the problem with pairing Lowe and Garrity in central midfield as neither can up the tempo of a game. I'd have dropped one of Devine or Chislett deeper. 

• Like 1

Prem teams can have the same problems. Depth of quality in the squad, injuries, international call-ups, frequency of games, loss of form. The biggest factor is who the opposition is, as well as the fitness of the squad.

Sent from my SM-A715F using onevalefan mobile app

• Like 2

Ahh yes, councillor lamingham, a.k.a. CHOPSY. Think he got arrested at shrewsbury away.

Sent from my SM-G781B using onevalefan mobile app

• robf unfeatured this topic