onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

January Transfers and Rumours

werstayinup

Yes we need forwards, or someone with a bit of confidence upfront. It’s a shame that Wilson is injured as you just felt he was hitting his stride.

However, the more important issue is the lack of actual wing backs. Which, in a system that relies on wing backs, is pretty poor. We have one in Mitch Clarke. 

Connor Grant is an attacking midfielder converted in a wing back.

Tom Sang is a centre mid.

James Plant is a right winger.

Gavin Massey is a winger.

Lewis Cass is a RCB

I’m sure I’m missing someone, but the point is none of them are actually wingbacks. Which is a pretty important position to <ovf censored> up. The fact that the only left footer has barely played in the last two seasons due to injury, and has already picked up a few injuries, is equally mind boggling. Add in that there’s not a lot of pace between them and it’s a recipe for disaster.

That needs sorting out, first and foremost.

• Like 1

Advert

7 hours ago, PV1993 said:

Yes we need forwards, or someone with a bit of confidence upfront. It’s a shame that Wilson is injured as you just felt he was hitting his stride.

However, the more important issue is the lack of actual wing backs. Which, in a system that relies on wing backs, is pretty poor. We have one in Mitch Clarke. 

Connor Grant is an attacking midfielder converted in a wing back.

Tom Sang is a centre mid.

James Plant is a right winger.

Gavin Massey is a winger.

Lewis Cass is a RCB

I’m sure I’m missing someone, but the point is none of them are actually wingbacks. Which is a pretty important position to <ovf censored> up. The fact that the only left footer has barely played in the last two seasons due to injury, and has already picked up a few injuries, is equally mind boggling. Add in that there’s not a lot of pace between them and it’s a recipe for disaster.

That needs sorting out, first and foremost.

Agree wilson gives us a lot more but overall his record in league 1 is still poor & the guys forever in the treatment room. i'd say cass & grant are suited more at full backs. Couldn't imagine Grant playing attacking midfield nowadays he's far too slow & pedestrian. Been a massive flop for me so far & another sick note. The point about the wing backs is bang on tho 👍🏻 

Edited by Vtid

13 hours ago, llcoolj said:

In my eyes, no. Not wanting to spoil Mike's article for free we can't even tie down Rhys Walters to a contract after 12 weeks of negotiations 

Well unless a law has been introduced compelling players to sign a contract l don't think it's fair to blame Vale for this. 

Rhys Walters looks a decent prospect but it would be absolutely mad to break our structure for a kid with so much still to learn.

The inference is his 'advisors' want money that exceeds the structure in place for a player of his stature.
Am I correct that his agent is Leon Constantine?

That's a bit worrying in my opinion if so. I listened to his Ale & Vale podcast and he didn't come across as a very nice man and, to be honest, he sounded as thick as a submarine door. I can't imagine dealing with him would be great.

Good luck Port Vale.

2 minutes ago, Rory said:

That's a bit worrying in my opinion if so. I listened to his Ale & Vale podcast and he didn't come across as a very nice man and, to be honest, he sounded as thick as a submarine door. I can't imagine dealing with him would be great.

Good luck Port Vale.

Leon is his agent.

He works for Lee Matthews sports agency company & they have a load of players.

Maybe, Leon is remembering how he was treated by the fans even when scoring 20+ goals in a season for us.

What we would give for a Leon Constantine now

• Like 4

Well unless a law has been introduced compelling players to sign a contract l don't think it's fair to blame Vale for this. 
Rhys Walters looks a decent prospect but it would be absolutely mad to break our structure for a kid with so much still to learn.
There are also our training and development facilities. Our league position over the next couple of years. Money is obviously a factor but not the only thing.

Sent from my SM-A715F using onevalefan mobile app

27 minutes ago, Rory said:

Good luck Port Vale.

He didn't sound particularly thick or unpleasant compared to the average person. But even if he was a terrific fella then being booed and heckled by our fans when he was top-scoring for us wouldn't endear the club to him.

I'd hazard a guess that Constantine is steering Walters away from the club, though that is just a guess. Maybe Rhys is desperate for a move, maybe he'd be better off staying or maybe his career would benefit from leaving. 13 games without a win probably isn't going to persuade him to sign a contract...

5 hours ago, smithie said:

I agree. Cracking prospect but thats all he is. 

Our selling point is we can offer a genuine crack at 1st team football now. If he went to Champ team he will just sit in the age group teams. Remember Joe Davis?

Looked a good prospect who looked like he could have a very decent good but left to take more money to sit in Leicester Under 23's team.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MBE said:

I agree. Cracking prospect but thats all he is. 

Our selling point is we can offer a genuine crack at 1st team football now. If he went to Champ team he will just sit in the age group teams. Remember Joe Davis?

Looked a good prospect who looked like he could have a very decent good but left to take more money to sit in Leicester Under 23's team.

Cracking prospect yes but £££ will be top of 99% of young players and 100% of agents thoughts.

Definitely seems like Walters is off since they’ve been negotiating for so long. Very annoying to lose a young player that we’ve developed for peanuts, but if he’s asking for silly money after 10 league games then he can go elsewhere. I imagine he’s got a lot of other options tapping him up, including some clubs who would probably be willing to pay silly money.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Powerline said:

Definitely seems like Walters is off since they’ve been negotiating for so long. Very annoying to lose a young player that we’ve developed for peanuts, but if he’s asking for silly money after 10 league games then he can go elsewhere. I imagine he’s got a lot of other options tapping him up, including some clubs who would probably be willing to pay silly money.

In his first league start yesterday he was really quite anonymous.  He, his agent and some fans need to understand he's probably not as good currently as they think he is. He's a fantastic prospect, but probably not yet a starter in league 1. There is a big jump in intensity from any of the 3 cups he's played in.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, JRC said:

In his first league start yesterday he was really quite anonymous.  He, his agent and some fans need to understand he's probably not as good currently as they think he is. He's a fantastic prospect, but probably not yet a starter in league 1. There is a big jump in intensity from any of the 3 cups he's played in.

Correct.  The same can be said for all of the young players, Arblaster excepted, and he’s struggled at times.  To become regular starters on merit the likes of Devine, Thomas and our own youngsters have to show far more consistency throughout a game and then repeat that week in week out.  This will only come by playing and the likes of Walter’s may get more minutes with us than he would another club at this level.  Like you say he’s a great prospects at the moment rather than anywhere near the finished article.

Always like your posts JRC.
Rhys et all are being managed well I think. The only young un that hasn't really is Planty. Having said that he's stepped up well even if being played out of position