onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Sutton Utd (H) EFL Cup match thread Sep 26th

42 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

What's with attendances at certain games? I know Sutton brought 70. But it was a big opportunity to get through which we did and yet we had 300 less than Mansfield had last night. 

Fans need to turn up more. It was reduced prices too. We'll only prosper if folk turn up. 

How many did Peterborough take there? They're a lot closer to Mansfield. There was 4,100 Vale there which isn't bad really considering the opposition.

Advert

47 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

Warren, I agree with what you’ve said. Fir me we can move the ball intelligently and quickly to an advanced position then then we seem to hit a brick wall. I’m not sure if it’s the pace that we can move the ball, down the wings or that we don’t have anyone in the forward position or from CM who can burst through and make the runs for the final pass. I think we need a forward who could score 12+ goal’s but I’m not sure that this is what the club want and would rather the goals were spread around. There was quite a bit of discontentment around me last night regarding the style of play that you’ve highlighted, I think it is borne out of frustration, highlighted by your observation.

There was an issue with presence in the box. But we should, last night, have moved players to create triangles and passing moves down the sides of their box. Instead we just got static and passed sideways and backwards. 

Doing what I'm suggesting draws corners and freekicks. Aside from this we were putting the ball in the air from Ripley. I have lost count of how many times he kicked it out of play first half trying to find Massey and Sang. 

In the end our first goal came luckily from a breakaway. I say luckily because Josh Thomas clearly fouled their player when winning the ball. But then a good run and shot. 

24 minutes ago, Family Stand Terrier said:

How many did Peterborough take there? They're a lot closer to Mansfield. There was 4,100 Vale there which isn't bad really considering the opposition.

662 . 

I know what you're saying Ben but just seems sometimes the Vale public aren't buying into it which is a shame. 

15 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

662 . 

I know what you're saying Ben but just seems sometimes the Vale public aren't buying into it which is a shame. 

Its the Carabao Cup though in fairness, in context between the two sides 15 of the 22 players were changes which show how its seen.

There was an issue with presence in the box. But we should, last night, have moved players to create triangles and passing moves down the sides of their box. Instead we just got static and passed sideways and backwards. 
Doing what I'm suggesting draws corners and freekicks. Aside from this we were putting the ball in the air from Ripley. I have lost count of how many times he kicked it out of play first half trying to find Massey and Sang. 
In the end our first goal came luckily from a breakaway. I say luckily because Josh Thomas clearly fouled their player when winning the ball. But then a good run and shot. 
I trust Crosbys view of the performance last night and thinking about the side we put out we weren't as bad as your making out.

Sent from my SM-A217F using onevalefan mobile app

3 hours ago, Warren said:

Against the bottom team in L2 we mustered 12 shots and 5 on target with 2 goals. They had 9 shots, 2 on target and 1 goal. 

We were desperately poor. Bailed ourselves out late in the game. 

The reason we are poor is attitude. We not working to get the ball in the box and take shots. When we are down the sides of their box we believed getting it back to the centre halves or keeper is good play when it isn't. It's just really poor play. 

With how many changes? We won, end of.

2 hours ago, gags 64 said:

Not a moan but can someone explain why we were shoehorned into 3 blocks of the paddock last night. I'm sure it wouldn't need any more stewards to open all of it as there were loads of them there anyway seemingly doing nothing. Just seemed a bit weird. It looks awful as well with the blocks being fenced off already behind each goal and one half of Lorne Street not being used. Capacity restrictions I get but makes us look tinpot

Number of stewards is set by available capacity. Hence the situation last year with a large amount of them in the Bycars, even for lesser opponents in mid week. Same applies on the Hamil now. Closing the blocks near the Railway allows for less stewarding. Recruiting them is a problem and agency staff are being used. Bit of a nightmare when different ones with little/ no experience, even from the previous match. 

1 hour ago, darren1810 said:

662 . 

I hope Carol's under no illusion that if we make it to the Promised Land our crowds will go up massively. We were often around the 6000 mark last time in the Championship and I remember the televised game v Grimsby drew less than 4000!

I'd love to be proved wrong but I don't see us pulling 10k at home or anywhere near it.    

1 hour ago, darren1810 said:

662 . 

I know mate I've been disappointed with attendances sometimes this season when I expected more but had it pointed at how expensive times are at the moment. I was all set to go last night myself but decided go the Burton game instead. Chance go top etc. Now my daughter wants come with me too, to go both would have cost us £53. Games are coming thick and fast at the moment so people are having to choose their games unfortunately. Bolton on Saturday too. Had we gone all 3 it would come to £86. Not cheap these days.

6 minutes ago, Phil500 said:

Number of stewards is set by available capacity. Hence the situation last year with a large amount of them in the Bycars, even for lesser opponents in mid week. Same applies on the Hamil now. Closing the blocks near the Railway allows for less stewarding. Recruiting them is a problem and agency staff are being used. Bit of a nightmare when different ones with little/ no experience, even from the previous match. 

Interesting - so who sets the rules around stewarding levels ? Is it done on a local level by the council. the EFL, individual clubs - because we seem to have far more stewards than other grounds I visit?

Also I understand you can't say much publicly but the usefulness of many stewards is so poor it's embarrassing. It's time for clubs to call for a common sense approach because it must be costing the Vale a fortune to pay these people to stand around doing nothing.  

3 hours ago, Brian Johnson said:

Great win and amazing to be in the next round of the cup.

Are we two games away from the semi finals?

Was not able to watch it and watched the very brief highlights.

Sang & Walters did really well to hustle for the ball on the edge of our own area before Walters released Thomas  and Thomas did even better with the run & finish.

Really bad defending by Balmer but a great finish in the end from their player.

Great strike by Ojo but for me the keeper should be saving that. I would be disappointed if Ripley let that type of shot in but if you don't shoot, you don't score.

In relation to the goal keeping last night I was sitting up in the RW suite seats almost in line with the shot and I initially thought that the keeper should've done much better, looking at it from different angles and the BlinkCam thing it looks like it's swerving all over the place so maybe a bit harsh.

Archived