onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Sutton Utd (H) EFL Cup match thread Sep 26th

56 minutes ago, Lornelounger said:

Permission to get excited about who we get in the next round Captain Mainwaring?

Permission granted...

I've never seen us play Chelsea in 54 years of watching the Vale, so that would be interesting. But a big club, please, please....

Yeah, Exeter away....it will be, won't it?

Doubt if there is anyone alive who has seen us play Chelsea. The last time was in 1929 a home win in Hanley. We have never played them in the Cup, only the Youth Cup.  Just 14 league games

Advert

We won. Gave players in the squad a game. Crosby can be said to have shown good judgement. Sutton were better than their league position and,  fortunately for us, they are lacking a striker. 

But passing the ball side to side and back to the keeper relentlessly is not good play. We had one shot on target in the first half. We think the right thing to do when we have a throw in or freekick round the edge of the opposition box is often to recycle to our defence to pass sideways. 

Eventually of course we made a defensive error Sutton were waiting for. 1-1. 

So I'm calling for a rebalancing of this approach. A throw in on the edge of the box should be worked so we get a corner and not seen as a need to start again by passing backwards. 

I guess at least we had a powerful bench to come and sort our difficulties out. Thanks to the ref for not blowing up for a freekick on our first breakaway goal! Some would have. 

Does anybody think that if we pull a big team it will be juicy. Prem clubs are not bothered about this until the semi final. So we would play Premier League reserve team if we pull a Prem club. 

For a few games now, since Northampton I felt we overpass. Sideways, backwards, to the goalkeeper.  Just like England. Tragically boring. 

We won. Gve players in the squad a game. Crosby can be said to have shown good judgement. Sutton were better than their league position and,  fortunately for us, they are lacking a striker. 
But passing the ball side to side and back to the keeper relentlessly is not good play. We had one shot on target in the first half. We think the right thing to do when we have a throw in or freekick round the edge of the opposition box is often to recycle to our defence to pass sideways. 
So I'm calling for a rebalancing of this approach. A throw in on the edge of the box should be worked so we get a corner and not seen as a need to start again by passing backwards. 
Sutton had at 4 players 6ft 4in what do you suggest sling in hopefully crosses hope we can nick a header ? Crosby is getting right, we don't play hoof ball anymore.

Sent from my SM-A217F using onevalefan mobile app

9 hours ago, Warren said:

We won. Gve players in the squad a game. Crosby can be said to have shown good judgement. Sutton were better than their league position and,  fortunately for us, they are lacking a striker. 

Listen to Crosbys after match interview in full. That is our style of play & that's what we will be sticking to. As a fan base we're just going to have to learn to accept it & be patient. He didn't want balls whipping into the box tonight as it was land of the giants.

We're a work in progress & we are still improving all the time.

I genuinely believe we're a marksman away from a very real shot at top 6. I'm really impressed with us. We did enough tonight with our 2nd string.

We're 1 x win away from a League Cup Quarter Final. We're 4th in the league & but for some wasteful finishing & woeful defending v Burton, we'd be top.

Crosby & all the players deserve HUGE credit. Let's get a big crowd in on Saturday v Bolton. Let's show them what we're about this season. We've got some really gifted footballers. If we pull a plum out in the draw tomorrow night then it will just add to the whole buzz around the place.

Enjoy it Vale fans, these are good moments for us. They don't come around too often so make the most of it!

6 minutes ago, MelbourneValiant said:

Does anybody think that if we pull a big team it will be juicy. Prem clubs are not bothered about this until the semi final. So we would play Premier League reserve team if we pull a Prem club. 

For a few games now, since Northampton I felt we overpass. Sideways, backwards, to the goalkeeper.  Just like England. Tragically boring. 

I think like we give young players and senior players needing a game a chance, so would say Man Utd if they drew us. But they put out a strong side v Crystal Palace tonight if the bench is included. 

5 minutes ago, Vale Ball said:

Sutton had at 4 players 6ft 4in what do you suggest sling in hopefully crosses hope we can nick a header ? Crosby is getting right, we don't play hoof ball anymore.

Sent from my SM-A217F using onevalefan mobile app

I was not calling for hoof ball at all. I was calling for better play round the edge of the opposition box on the deck. 

A largely frustrating night but we stuck to our principals and are through .

I thought Sutton were a really good team (forget league positions come end of season in league 2 they be top end or  defo between 6th and 10th finishing that is .

You can see why they dumped two league one teams out .

575 passes Vale .

2 goals both beauties in there execution .

Man of  the match Rhys Walters set up the first goal and generally I thought for someone so young was very good .

Here's a few marks .

Ripley 7 important save first half at the angle .

Cass 6 wasn't his usual galloping self but didn't do anything bad but you could equally say didn't pass it as as well as he can.

Balmer 6 at fault for there goal but overall stuck at it still relatively new to the team he will learn and grow other than the error/goal  did little wrong .

Jones 6 very Rusty will be though as first game back since been ill in hospital he did OK. 

Some of his passing he will need a few games get back up to speed.

Sang 6

Grant 6 

Lowe 6 

R Walters 8

Devine 7 never stopped looking for the ball all night ,I think he is a very good player .

Thomas 7 energy enthusiasm a lovely taken goal I'd like see as a experiment with Wilson and Chizzy behind him I think Vale could well destroy teams on what im.seeing if the combination of the 3 is tried at some point .

Massey 7 worked hard for the team all night 

Subs 

Wilson has banged one over .

Chizzys been busy and Robust a excellent footballer he is a class act 

Ojo banged in a great goal after super positive play down the left in the build up by Devine and Plant I think it was good anyway .

Plant folk can say  what they want gives  us  life energy and hard running it creates space ask Ojo ,sure he was involved in creating them extra yards for the pass to be hit and hit it he did like a rocket great goal .

Debrah seemed a very competent young man also 

Well done Vale round 4 .

Absolutely delighted .

Bring on Mansfield or Exeter or Ipswich at home if been realistic, but you bever know could be Aston Villa away or Everton or Man Utd or City or Liverpool Arsenal or Chelsea/Brighton 

Word on the support tonight .

A lot better second half first half like a morgue mind you the play was a tad poor.

Sutton were a typical side. They're bigger than us tonight, but not land of the giants. We wasted so many opportunities to work the ball into the box from advanced positions with throw ins and passing. The stat to focus on is we had one shot on target first half against the team bottom of L2. 

That is Crosby's tactics failed in every footballing respect as well as being boring. 

8 minutes ago, gags 64 said:

Some of the comments seem harsh about Balmer. He is a better player than Cass. Admittedly at fault for the goal but overall rather have him than Cass

Massively disagree. Balmer been pants the last 3 games. They’re also both the same age so it’s not like Balmer is some young lad in comparison.

I’ll admit I didn’t see the game Balmer played when he played well. But he was garbage against Burton, and really poor against Cambridge where he could’ve been sent off and I noted after the game he was aerially very weak.

Tonight again was really poor. Terrible in the air for a centre half. His defending for the goal is some of the worst I’ve ever seen. And he was lucky not to give away a penalty when he had hold of their forward in the box. Would’ve been soft but we’ve all seen them given. I’d like to see Cass start ahead of him next game, or even Jones with Smith moving to the right.

Archived