onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Sutton Utd (H) EFL Cup match thread Sep 26th

Would really love us to pull Everton at Goodison.  

Have to admit. all of my wife's kids (bot of us been married before) are all Blue Noses and were born/dragged up in Liverpool; and her ex (who I hate) is massive Everton fan.  So, if we got them away and we won i'd be rolling round like a pig in pigsh!te! (also Liverpool are my 'second' team) 🤣

On a more "grown-up" level; its their last year at Goodison before moving to their new ground and i'd love to go.  Have to admit the atmosphere is good at the Toffees.

Advert

We are through to the 4th round for only the 2nd time in our history and some are still finding fault! Agree it wasn't champagne football but we've played 3 ties with mainly 2nd string and a sprinkling of youth and come through them all. It has given valuable rest time to the 1st team players and given game time to some of the back up squad. 

Crosby is proving to be a very astute manager and the rotation has proved to me that the squad depth has shown we have had a very decent transfer window. Lets all celebrate what we have achieved so far and enjoy what is to come because i think we are going to improve further as the season progresses.

10 hours ago, Doha said:

I think my favourite moment tonight was Massey striding forward really aggressively in second half injury time towards the right corner. His body language rapidly visibly changed. First time all game I can remember him doing that. He then calmly and methodically passed it straight ahead of him straight out of touch.

Doha, I obviously interpreted it different to you, I thought that Massey had tried to kick the ball at their defenders foot, hoping for a corner. He’d got two defenders around him and no Vale player in support.

29 minutes ago, Family Stand Terrier said:

I agree. If it's a big team I don't mind home or away. If it's a lesser club, lower Prem, Championship hopefully get them at home and really go at them. Anyone else, home game preferably viewing it as a chance to progress. Is 5th round the quarter finals?

yeah it is mate 👍🏻 last sixteen next 

3 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

What's with attendances at certain games? I know Sutton brought 70. But it was a big opportunity to get through which we did and yet we had 300 less than Mansfield had last night. 

Fans need to turn up more. It was reduced prices too. We'll only prosper if folk turn up. 

Never have had good attendances in this one, plus in fairness a lot of games close together. I recall when we last got to the 4th round (beating 3 Championship sides at home) in those three games we didn't pull in many. Loving the run we are having in it for a change but its not the FA Cup for example so there just isn't the same pull.

53 minutes ago, Warren said:

Against the bottom team in L2 we mustered 12 shots and 5 on target with 2 goals. They had 9 shots, 2 on target and 1 goal. 

We were desperately poor. Bailed ourselves out late in the game. 

The reason we are poor is attitude. We not working to get the ball in the box and take shots. When we are down the sides of their box we believed getting it back to the centre halves or keeper is good play when it isn't. It's just really poor play. 

Warren, I agree with what you’ve said. Fir me we can move the ball intelligently and quickly to an advanced position then then we seem to hit a brick wall. I’m not sure if it’s the pace that we can move the ball, down the wings or that we don’t have anyone in the forward position or from CM who can burst through and make the runs for the final pass. I think we need a forward who could score 12+ goal’s but I’m not sure that this is what the club want and would rather the goals were spread around. There was quite a bit of discontentment around me last night regarding the style of play that you’ve highlighted, I think it is borne out of frustration, highlighted by your observation.

21 minutes ago, mbycars said:

We are through to the 4th round for only the 2nd time in our history and some are still finding fault! Agree it wasn't champagne football but we've played 3 ties with mainly 2nd string and a sprinkling of youth and come through them all. It has given valuable rest time to the 1st team players and given game time to some of the back up squad. 

Crosby is proving to be a very astute manager and the rotation has proved to me that the squad depth has shown we have had a very decent transfer window. Lets all celebrate what we have achieved so far and enjoy what is to come because i think we are going to improve further as the season progresses.

THIS!!  Will said m8.

Vale Fans - enjoy that we're through... bring on the big boys (oooh, er, matron!)

14 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

Doha, I obviously interpreted it different to you, I thought that Massey had tried to kick the ball at their defenders foot, hoping for a corner. He’d got two defenders around him and no Vale player in support.

Massey was definitely playing for a corner, no question.

9 hours ago, Powerline said:

Jones wasn’t amazing tonight and almost committed a suicidal back pass. But he was light years ahead of Balmer. Didn’t concede a criminal goal for a start. And he can head the ball.

Balmer was osolated by their forward and he then spent his time grappling with him rather than trying to clear the ball so he was at fault there.  How we got into that position straight from a goal kick I'm not sure and there wasn't any cover.  He did win the header to clear the ball for the 1st goal though.

Archived