onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Sutton Utd (H) EFL Cup match thread Sep 26th

3 minutes ago, Warren said:

Sutton were a typical side. They're bigger than us tonight, but not land of the giants.

Watch it back. Thomas stood between their two centre halves was the biggest disparity in height in a professional game I've ever <ovf censored> seen! Wish I got a photo of it from the railway; He's 5'6 apparently, that Sowunmi is nearly 6'5.

On a more serious note, Crosby alluded to it in his post match interview, why were we hanging crosses into the box when we were never going to win the header.

Advert

4 minutes ago, Powerline said:

I’ll admit I didn’t see the game Balmer played when he played well. But he was garbage against Burton, and really poor against Cambridge where he could’ve been sent off and I noted after the game he was aerially very weak.

Tonight again was really poor. Terrible in the air for a centre half. His defending for the goal is some of the worst I’ve ever seen. And he was lucky not to give away a penalty when he had hold of their forward in the box. Would’ve been soft but we’ve all seen them given. I’d like to see Cass start ahead of him next game, or even Jones with Smith moving to the right.

The number one thing you can't do as a defender in that situation is let it bounce. He did. Just <ovf censored> it out of play if you're under that kind of pressure. Unfortunately he failed to.

<ovf censored> goal straight from a goal kick to concede, can't happen again. 

6 minutes ago, Powerline said:

I’ll admit I didn’t see the game Balmer played when he played well. But he was garbage against Burton, and really poor against Cambridge where he could’ve been sent off and I noted after the game he was aerially very weak.

Tonight again was really poor. Terrible in the air for a centre half. His defending for the goal is some of the worst I’ve ever seen. And he was lucky not to give away a penalty when he had hold of their forward in the box. Would’ve been soft but we’ve all seen them given. I’d like to see Cass start ahead of him next game, or even Jones with Smith moving to the right.

He was better than Jones tonight.  His 1st game back admittedly but not his best game.

5 minutes ago, NellyTheValiant said:

He was better than Jones tonight.  His 1st game back admittedly but not his best game.

Jones wasn’t amazing tonight and almost committed a suicidal back pass. But he was light years ahead of Balmer. Didn’t concede a criminal goal for a start. And he can head the ball.

I think my favourite moment tonight was Massey striding forward really aggressively in second half injury time towards the right corner. His body language rapidly visibly changed. First time all game I can remember him doing that. He then calmly and methodically passed it straight ahead of him straight out of touch.

Just now, Doha said:

I think my favourite moment tonight was Massey striding forward really aggressively in second half injury time towards the right corner. His body language rapidly visibly changed. First time all game I can remember him doing that. He then calmly and methodically passed it straight ahead of him straight out of touch.

Tbf I thought Massey done alright tonight. Yes no real quality with end product, but he held it up well a few times and can’t fault his effort, which is the main criticism people levelled at him last season.

9 minutes ago, Doha said:

Watch it back. Thomas stood between their two centre halves was the biggest disparity in height in a professional game I've ever <ovf censored> seen! Wish I got a photo of it from the railway; He's 5'6 apparently, that Sowunmi is nearly 6'5.

On a more serious note, Crosby alluded to it in his post match interview, why were we hanging crosses into the box when we were never going to win the header.

Yes, but we didn't hang crosses into the box aside from when our defenders were forward. My problem is recycling the ball to midfield when he are down the edge of boxes. 

We did play a relatively small side tonight. But that's no reason to not play the right ball into the target man. You play the ball that is hardest for the big man to deal with without giving away a pen or advanced freekick. But what we did is mostly play advanced positions back to midfield or even defence. 

Just now, Powerline said:

Tbf I thought Massey done alright tonight. Yes no real quality with end product, but he held it up well a few times and can’t fault his effort, which is the main criticism people levelled at him last season.

Yep there was effort but it only makes up for so much if you want to continuously improve the way AC and DF talk about. If DF can wheel and deal him in Jan, Theo Robinson style again, to make way for an out and out goal scorer, I'll declare he's a genius. 

2 minutes ago, Warren said:

But what we did is mostly play advanced positions back to midfield or even defence. 

I absolutely agree, it was a bit tedious tonight at times. The two elements I find frustrating are missing the runs that are being made because we're too slow and sometimes even laboured on the transition, and somewhat related, how we limit our own passing options, even during throw ins, through lack of movement.

ACs post match interview was a good listen though, he talked about exactly this. 

It's another win.

I didn't go but if people are criticizing sideways football then remember how it was "hoof it up to Ellis" last season.

We would never have scored the goals we score this season if we hadn't changed the way we play.

A shot outside the box and a run from the halfway line.

We now look like a team who can find a way to win. More importantly we are winning our home games on a regular basis.

Good to see Ojo doing what he is capable of and for young Josh showing his pace and finishing. 

On to Saturday and Borlton....

Sutton were a typical side. They're bigger than us tonight, but not land of the giants. We wasted so many opportunities to work the ball into the box from advanced positions with throw ins and passing. The stat to focus on is we had one shot on target first half against the team bottom of L2. 
That is Crosby's tactics failed in every footballing respect as well as being boring. 

who does everyone want next round?

Just seen the goals and what crackers both of them were.

There's was a tad soft, but he still took it well.

Would be nice to get one of the big names and a pay day to allow the club to sign another striker maybe.

If not a big name, a small club (sjoke - as we need the away end toilets sorted)  to allow us the chance to get to the next round maybe.  Then a big name.

Lol. I remember the exact moment. Made me laugh at the time and kind of sums up Massey. Big heart, Small brain.

Archived