onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Tom Conlon

Old fort

Just wondering thoughts on when (if) TC returns to full fitness, would he struggle to nake the bench in the current squad?  I can only see that, if injuries and suspensions start to kick in.  Also depends if AC can get the required quality out of him like he's done with the others and bring out some forward thinking play out of him like when we were calling him the Porthill Pirlo?  Seems a long time since then. 

Advert

It’s hard to see the pathway into the matchday squad for him in all honesty. Realistically you are not dropping either of Funso or Arblaster and the two number 10 spots to be honest he’s behind Chizzy, Devine, Garrity and Massey. Even say Jason Lowe he offers that positional versatility Conlon doesn’t really have so without there being a huge amount of injuries and suspensions I think his future may lie elsewhere. Be interesting if DC takes say the Oldham job, he’s a big fan of Conlon and vice versa so maybe something like that could tempt him?

4 minutes ago, Old fort said:

Just wondering thoughts on when (if) TC returns to full fitness, would he struggle to nake the bench in the current squad?  I can only see that, if injuries and suspensions start to kick in.  Also depends if AC can get the required quality out of him like he's done with the others and bring out some forward thinking play out of him like when we were calling him the Porthill Pirlo?  Seems a long time since then. 

Unlikely to make the bench given the current form of our midfielders but that could easily change.  Not a bad player to have in the squad in my view.  For me he’d be best played in more of an advanced role, maybe good cover for Chizzy or perhaps on the opposite side where he can cut in on his left foot.

As former captain for the sake of his career he probably needs to leave. Don’t see how he will even make our bench unless we have an injury crisis in midfield.

Undoubtedly a classy player prior to his injury but just had not looked the same player. 

TC struggled last season. We question his fitness and question his ability to be a top half L1 midfielder. But. If he was as fit as the rest of the team and playing with better players this season, he may step up performances to the level required.

I can't see him leaving in January. He needs to show his fitness and needs time on the pitch. I can't see where he can do enough before January to be attractive. Also, as a local, I guess he doesn't readily want to leave the area / region. Sometimes good outcomes arise from adverse circumstances and as a loyal servant of the club I hope so. 

I was just thinking about him yesterday, and whether that move to Notts County might be on again in January.

Local lad, grandad played for Vale, captain, he must have felt a lot of pressure. Unfortunately the evidence last season suggested he isn't quite up to the pace of L1 football, needing too many touches and more pensive than attack minded. Which is really genuinely sad, because no one can doubt his passion and application. Watch the behind the scenes footage from Swindon/Wembley etc, he's as passionate as the fans. I'm sure we can all name a long list of dossers that have worn the shirt over the years who aren't bothered beyond getting paid, so when you have a committed, honest trier like Tom it's genuinely really sad when it doesn't work out, you want someone like that to succeed. Getting injured again this pre-season was a <ovf censored> nightmare for him. 

He was raved about in L2 and would be a very good January signing for someone. 

When I commented about Sang sticking to the touchline in the second half on Saturday, I thought of TC. Northampton were playing high up with their back line quite square. They were in line with the area I was sitting which is approx 25 yds up the pitch. The area was to crowded to push the ball along the ground into the hole, behind the defence and needed chipping over for Sang to run onto. I’ll be surprised if TC plays for us again as I believe from OVF that he was on his way before getting injured. 

Love Conlon. One of our own and his passion for the club and fans is a rare sight 

Scored some unreal goals including the Beckham like one from the half way line a few years back 

But sadly injuries have hampered his career and I can't see him getting a start over Airblaster or Ojo

Wouldn't be surprised if he was to move on. Would love to be proven wrong

Regardless, a cult hero and was a delight to watch at times.

Archived