onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Tom Conlon

Old fort

Advert

10 minutes ago, Rockape99 said:

I think why we not covered LWB is TC is being converted into that role  , he can tackle , has skill and a good left peg , you watch training it looks if that’s where AC sees him 

Personally mate he hasn't the pace to play there. Whilst Grant isn't blessed with pace he's experienced there. Just look at how dynamic Clark and Plant are in full flow. I just can't see Conlon as a wing back myself. 

18 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Personally mate he hasn't the pace to play there. Whilst Grant isn't blessed with pace he's experienced there. Just look at how dynamic Clark and Plant are in full flow. I just can't see Conlon as a wing back myself. 

I can’t either but he wouldn’t be the 1st to reinvent himself , tbh he has the nouse but it’s the pace I guess but if AC seen this who knows ?

13 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Plant is playing left wing back on a needs must basis to get him games. But he's got big development needs. If we are to challenge for promotion we can't afford experimentation. He has to step up to that level straight away or wait his turn. 

Conlon hasn't played left wing back before this season either. But being left footed, experienced and a good tackler I think he could have much potential there. This may lengthen his time at the club. 

Set aside injury concerns, Conlon is now coming into his prime age wise. When we had lots of young players on together we were lucky to get way with this v Crewe. They are not ready steady go for L1 and need to serve time getting more opportunities as they develop. 

31 minutes ago, Warren said:

Plant is playing left wing back on a needs must basis to get him games. But he's got big development needs. If we are to challenge for promotion we can't afford experimentation. He has to step up to that level straight away or wait his turn. 

Conlon hasn't played left wing back before this season either. But being left footed, experienced and a good tackler I think he could have much potential there. This may lengthen his time at the club. 

Set aside injury concerns, Conlon is now coming into his prime age wise. When we had lots of young players on together we were lucky to get way with this v Crewe. They are not ready steady go for L1 and need to serve time getting more opportunities as they develop. 

So in your first sentence you say we can't afford experimentation and then in your second paragraph you are talking about experimentation

4 hours ago, NorthwoodValiant said:

So in your first sentence you say we can't afford experimentation and then in your second paragraph you are talking about experimentation

Yes, you have a point. But Plant is playing in a very artificial position as a right footer. Conlon is left footed and a much more experienced player. I realise Tripier can play left back and right back for England and showed it can be done well as a right footer. Also in the modern style of things Plant can move forward into midfield with the CD going to the left who is left footed. 

In the first half v Burton, they placed their forward up to stop us passing along the back line to the right. So they thought our right side is stronger and the right footed left wing back an issue. Maybe also they wanted to leave Smith on the ball in the centre of the pitch. It stymied us for quite a while. Then they changed forward defensive positions for other reasons to just be more compact overall. 

To be fair to Plant he doesn't keep coming back inside and tries to play properly as the left sided player. I guess in that context he is no worse than Benning. And he has potential to improve which Benning didn't have. 

I'm suspecting this may be superfluous arguing by me if Conlon is allowed to leave in January. 

On 21/09/2023 at 14:08, Warren said:

Yes, you have a point. But Plant is playing in a very artificial position as a right footer. Conlon is left footed and a much more experienced player. I realise Tripier can play left back and right back for England and showed it can be done well as a right footer. Also in the modern style of things Plant can move forward into midfield with the CD going to the left who is left footed. 

In the first half v Burton, they placed their forward up to stop us passing along the back line to the right. So they thought our right side is stronger and the right footed left wing back an issue. Maybe also they wanted to leave Smith on the ball in the centre of the pitch. It stymied us for quite a while. Then they changed forward defensive positions for other reasons to just be more compact overall. 

To be fair to Plant he doesn't keep coming back inside and tries to play properly as the left sided player. I guess in that context he is no worse than Benning. And he has potential to improve which Benning didn't have. 

I'm suspecting this may be superfluous arguing by me if Conlon is allowed to leave in January. 

I know we’re doing well but I think we’re just making do with Plant on the left. Come January I think we need more options at both wing back positions because IMO Sang shouldn’t be on the right either. 

FWIW I think Conlon will be off in January, the writings on the wall with his shirt number being taken off him. We’ve brought in plenty of options in midfield and have coped well without him. So as much as it’s a shame I think he needs to go and play. 

Conlon may or may not be with the club at the end of January. In the short-term he'll have opportunities over the next few weeks due to the run of games. If he does well that will either increase any fee or the liklihood of him staying.

Initially I thought the idea of Conlon at LWB was unlikely.  Grant does it well and I'm not sure he's faster than Conlon. Conlon is probably quicker over 10 yards than Grant, he just hits a terminal velocity and doesn't go any quicker thereafter.  I certainly think it's an experiment worth trying in the EFL Trophy game against Newcastle, when he should be fit. He's certainly behind Ojo, Arblaster and probably Sang for central midfield.  Behind Devine, Chislett and Garrity as a 10. Not sure he's worse than Lowe as a midfield option, or Massey as a 10; so for me there will be opportunities to show his worth.

I think you are right. It's the emergence of Plant that hastened that because he's bring well groomed for a mainstay midfield next season. 

Buts. Can I come up with any? The best or worst one, depending on viewpoint, is that Plant is plucked by a bigger / wealthier club. That could happen as soon as January. Older players want big money at big clubs and plucking a player now ready for L1 and developing is a good way to go. 

Conlon then comes back into the reckoning. The questions are can he get properly super fit and can he improve in a better squad and team. Maybe. He is local, he is committed and he is a top end L2 player now. So it could work out, but I expect that Ojo is now seen as his on the pitch successor in the central midfield holding role for years to come. 

Have to wait and see in January. I forgot about Walters above as well. He needs a slot to emerge from. 

I would imagine certain players would have been waiting for DC to get a job. Football is very much an occupation where if you do well for someone then they’ll look to bring you in, Pett and Conlon certainly fall into that bracket. 

I’m not a fan of the idea of trying to convert Conlon to a left wing back role, the defensive side of the game is often overlooked by fan who just notice what players do with the ball going forward. It’s not an easy discipline to suddenly pick up and it’s a total change in mentality too. 

47 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

I would imagine certain players would have been waiting for DC to get a job. Football is very much an occupation where if you do well for someone then they’ll look to bring you in, Pett and Conlon certainly fall into that bracket. 

I’m not a fan of the idea of trying to convert Conlon to a left wing back role, the defensive side of the game is often overlooked by fan who just notice what players do with the ball going forward. It’s not an easy discipline to suddenly pick up and it’s a total change in mentality too. 

Pett could do a job. Feel Pett and Conlon fall over each other trying to do the same thing. 

Robinson hasn't got a club!?

Issues with fitness bringing in players post pre season who haven't been playing. 

Archived