onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Bolton (H) match thread - Sep 30th

Fosse69

Advert

We lost the game because Crosby started without any pace up top, meaning they could play really high, control the game, and press us very quickly when they lost the ball. It was never, ever going to be a game for Wilson. Unrelenting pressure had to give, but they got a bit of luck as Cass slipped. Despite getting battered, Garrity's chance was the best of the game and he should have buried it.

Second half he made the right subs and they were rattled by a crumb of pace. Massey, Thomas, and a revitalised Plant stretched their back line, meaning they couldn't press as high and we could have a bit more control. Our final ball continues to lack and we just lack the forward with the 'knack' to be in the right positions. Charles was the difference.

On the balance of it a draw would have been fair. We have narrowly lost to one of the better sides in the league which suggests we should be in the top half this season. 

Probably repeating what has already been said but for the first 45 minutes we were so negative and I am completely baffled by what we were trying to do, so negative, if Crosby said we were not carrying out the tactics, why was it not changed, there were stoppages in play, why did it need half-time to change the way we played.  We played a similar kind of game at home to Reading and not sure why we are setting up this way, we have decent players, yes Bolton have a big budget but we are both league 1 clubs, no need to feel like a plucky league 2 team up against a premier league side.  When we gave it a go we more than matched them and the second half showed yet again the lack of options up front, we are so light up front, can't believe people thought good to go into the season with Wilson, Thomas and Loft.

Regarding the atmopshere, no matter what stands we are in, we will continue to have the same issue, the ground is too big to generate great noise getting the gates we do, a ground like Rotherham would be great but that is not going to happen.  The stands are too far apart to generate the levels needed, in the Hamil End and while it did not sound too bad second half, people in the Paddock could not hear anything and likewise, never heard anything coming from the Paddock myself.

1 hour ago, smithie said:

I'm guessing it's too late now to have a dedicated singing (and implicitly, standing) block in the Hamil. We need one because at the moment everyone is spread out and everything's a bit disjointed.

The beauty of the corner of the Paddock was it was pretty much the same people every home game and it was accepted that it was the place to go for singing and standing. in the Hamil it's 50/50 whether you're amongst singers & standers or statues.

There already is one

IMG_0003.jpeg

6 hours ago, darren1810 said:

I'll await pelters but I've got broad shoulders. 

That defeat is on Crosby. We were absolutely petrified of them 1st half. We are now a passing possession based team and had 31% in that half. It was like we were scared of big old Bolton with little old Port Vale syndrome. 

2nd half proved that they weren't actually what it appeared and had we gone at them from the start we'd of got a result. 

Bitterly disappointed with the scared 10 men behind the ball approach that we began with . 

He just picked completely the wrong team.

Don't think it was a mentality issue, just having zero pace resulting in their back three standing 20 yards into our half as there was absolute no threat in behind. Every time we got the ball back, they pressed very quickly and we went long to the lack of outlet - and this repeated till Cass tumbled and they scored. Starting Wilson is a complete mystery to me.

As soon as pace came on, we looked the better side and could have scored. 

Crosby will makes mistakes - despite his experience in the game, he's still a relatively newbie at making the big calls. Hope he learns from this one.

Ok, so after a few beers this is where I'm at. I like Crosby, he competent and he's trying to get the best out of good set of players. We have a good set of players because the club did well in the Summer transfer window. That's setting aside being cautious to commiting to an expensive striker. 

So compared to last season we demonstrably have a better position. But Crosby could have won that game today. Something went wrong first half. If he is to be a winning manager with promotions and championships he needs to minimise our first halves and maximise our second halves plus goals. 

Hey, I'm proud of this. Guess why. 

6 hours ago, NorthwoodValiant said:

Andy pal.

The club are not allowed to encourage you to stand up in an all seater stadium, that is why they had to rename the 'Standing section' to 'the singing section' there isn't some conspiracy where the owners want everyone to watch the game in silence. Patrick Shanahan wants us to have a drum ffs

NV

My point is that far too many people these days believe they are 'entitled' so despite the fact its bloody obvious that if you go  behind the goal and choose to sit down you will not be able to see. They believe they are 'entitled' to insist everyone else should be made to sit down (I.e. ruin their day) 

How about fans who want to sit down actually accepting that they will need to sit somewhere other than behind the goal at the Hamil end.

16 minutes ago, andy jones said:

NV

My point is that far too many people these days believe they are 'entitled' so despite the fact its bloody obvious that if you go  behind the goal and choose to sit down you will not be able to see. They believe they are 'entitled' to insist everyone else should be made to sit down (I.e. ruin their day) 

How about fans who want to sit down actually accepting that they will need to sit somewhere other than behind the goal at the Hamil end.

The only answer is separation. 

14 minutes ago, andy jones said:

NV

It really doesn't matter what your point is - you are the "entitled" one and a selfish <ovf censored> to think you can stand up in front of people who've paid for their SEAT in the SEATED area? It's not "seated area except for a few people who have to stand up to make a noise" - it's just "seated". Me? - I go to WATCH my team play football - which I can't do when some selfish twonks are standing in front of my seat. No matter how you try to twist this - you are in the wrong!

7 hours ago, JoeB2 said:

He just picked completely the wrong team.

Don't think it was a mentality issue, just having zero pace resulting in their back three standing 20 yards into our half as there was absolute no threat in behind. Every time we got the ball back, they pressed very quickly and we went long to the lack of outlet - and this repeated till Cass tumbled and they scored. Starting Wilson is a complete mystery to me.

As soon as pace came on, we looked the better side and could have scored. 

Crosby will makes mistakes - despite his experience in the game, he's still a relatively newbie at making the big calls. Hope he learns from this one.

5 hours ago, LancyTony said:

It really doesn't matter what your point is - you are the "entitled" one and a selfish <ovf censored> to think you can stand up in front of people who've paid for their SEAT in the SEATED area? It's not "seated area except for a few people who have to stand up to make a noise" - it's just "seated". Me? - I go to WATCH my team play football - which I can't do when some selfish twonks are standing in front of my seat. No matter how you try to twist this - you are in the wrong!

All the ones who stand on the hamil and that includes me should all sit down and not make a sound at the next home game and see what the atmospheres like then 

Well definitely a game of two halves yesterday and if it had finished 1-1 I don’t think anybody could have complained though to be fair with the chances we missed in the first half we should have probably been further ahead. We weren’t though and on your second half performance alone I think Vale can look forward to a good season. That you didn’t score could of course be put down to some good defending as I think all our defenders were on blob yesterday, including Will Forrester who didn’t put a foot wrong. Still early in the season yet and lots of games to play but certainly you looked a good team yesterday so if you can perhaps pick up a striker in January to add to your squad you could still make a shout for the play offs. Good luck for the rest of your season, other than in one game obviously!! 😉

10 hours ago, NEWPORT VALIANT said:

Unfortunately Vale's lack of appetite or to much respect for Bolton in the first half cost them gaining at least a point.

Bolton are a workmanlike team but having had a season ticket in the glory years of the Premier league. Bolton are now in League One for a reason and have not played top flight football now for over ten seasons. I have followed Vale as my second team for thirty plus years and so often when Vale come up against a team who in a past life might have played at the top table. Vale stand off their opponents and appear to be afraid to get stuck in today first half was a first class example, no cutting edge. Second half so much better but Bolton defended resolutely and for me Bolton might make the play offs. The main difference is Bolton have a striker in Dion Charles who at this level knows where the goal is. I was very disappointed in Dion Charles early second half when he attempted to con the referee in trying to win a free kick. Referee correctly played on, but failed to book Charles for blatant unsporting behaviour. For me if you are a decent player why stoop to the level of attempting to con the Referee. As a  Referee myself giving the player a RED CARD would quickly eliminate that type of player behaviour.

What Vale needed today second half was a striker with a cutting edge like possibly Tom Pope or for fans with longer memories Martin Foyle.

Tuesday night Bristol Rovers away an unpredictable opponent but a definitely winnable game. If fit get Mitch Clark and Ethan Chrislett back into contention.

UTV

Some excellent points made. 

Was quite reminiscent of Portsmouth and Sheffield Wednesday at home last season where we barely laid a glove on them either. 

A difficult week now with 2 really difficult games and if Fleetwood does fall victim to the international break we are looking at 3 successive away games all hard ones. Although there's no such thing as an easy away game. 

Archived