onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Bolton (H) match thread - Sep 30th

Fosse69

3 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

The dilemma we have is that even with a fully fit squad, which we lacked yesterday, we can’t play with the intensity of that second half for a full 90.  From memory most games we’ve finished strongly, as we did yesterday, but the first half tactics yesterday were probably the trade off, which on this occasion cost us.  I also think our lack of a forward with good grading ability restricts us.  It’s all well and good playing nice football but sometimes, against a packed defence, you need to put the ball into the mixer.  Massey was effective yesterday because he offers that more than Wilson, plus he’s a bit stronger and more mobile.  Horses for courses.

So far ( I'm not counting Pizza pot trophy don't know when we scored ) in 13 games we've only been ahead once at half time that was at Cambridge. 

We seem to grow into the game but personally we need to get out of the blocks faster and impose ourselves early doors. 

Advert

Yesterday, Bolton cut us to pieces in the first half, we were fortunate not to be 2/3-0 down at half-time.

However, the second half was full of aggression, desire, pace and movement. We all know the problem and so does AC - we have no main striker, no 20 goal man, no real aerial threat in the opposing box. This has been apparent for a few years imo. Easier said than done to find one i know, it also costs but we must try. Thomas could work as a 'two' up top. Wilson again technically is great but we don't create enough pressure in the opposing box for him to succeed.

We have a top keeper, defensively we have improved significantly. We have talented young midfield players and play high tempo, pressing at times during games. We don't and haven't maximised our periods of pressure in goal returns, this has and will be our downfall.

But on the whole, this is much better football, higher quality and a refreshing change.

Oh for one of those Peterboro strikers!

Bolton were decent btw but even they rocked a bit when we went at them.

48 minutes ago, Light_wood Grump said:
3 hours ago, PV1973 said:
Why is that right hand section off sale? Put that on sale and make it the singing section as it’s close to the railway lads I say. 

The railway lads, there is more empty seats than people, the railway is now like a morgue since the move from bycars to hamil

You think so? I was in the middle of the railway stand yesterday and most of the home support came from this area.

1 hour ago, Brian Johnson said:

Watching various highlights this morning, it's still not changed my mind from what I said on here last night. For all the ball that we had in the second half yesterday, we really did not create anything and it was a comfortable afternoon for the Bolton keeper and defence

I remember three chances of note, Garrity's effort that the keeper saved right after the goal, and Massey and Balmer's headers one the keeper comfortably saved and the other went wide, other than that, nothing. Against poorer sides we may have got a point but as you rightly point out Bolton had a largely comfortable afternoon mainly because they were better than us when it came to defending their own box.

3 hours ago, rsb said:

Why is Cass  getting stick for the goal it was ojo losing the ball on the half way line that set the goal up for them but nothing said about it just cass slip 

It’s because Cass is making a habit of slipping…. perhaps he should change his studs.

I thought Cass had a good game overall and Ojo was clearly fouled leading up to the goal. It was right in front of where I sit and the lad pulled him around but Ojo was looking for it rather than trying to drive forward away from the defender which is perhaps why he didn’t get the free kick.

Small margins against one of the best teams in the league. 

29 minutes ago, MBE said:

It’s because Cass is making a habit of slipping…. perhaps he should change his studs.

I thought Cass had a good game overall and Ojo was clearly fouled leading up to the goal. It was right in front of where I sit and the lad pulled him around but Ojo was looking for it rather than trying to drive forward away from the defender which is perhaps why he didn’t get the free kick.

Small margins against one of the best teams in the league. 

I have been waiting for someone to mention the Ojo incident leading up to the goal and the only surprise that it's took nearly 24 hours for someone to mention it.

It is not a foul at all. It is really poor sloppy play by Ojo. He had no control of the ball at all when it came to him and he ended up getting out muscled in the end. Ojo was simply not strong enough

Ojo was very poor giving the ball away and Cass was unlucky. We were stuffed during the first half but Ripley didn’t get tested much, 2nd half, we were the better team and I think we deserved a point in the end. We now have 2 tough away games coming up, could really do with getting some more points in the bag to keep up with the leaders.

2 hours ago, Brian Johnson said:

I have been waiting for someone to mention the Ojo incident leading up to the goal and the only surprise that it's took nearly 24 hours for someone to mention it.

It is not a foul at all. It is really poor sloppy play by Ojo. He had no control of the ball at all when it came to him and he ended up getting out muscled in the end. Ojo was simply not strong enough

Happy to oblige.

I’ve not seen it back but in real time it looked like a foul similar to a few the ref gave throughout the game.

Archived