onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Bolton Wanderers v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

I think it’s a midfield issue as much as the GK. Time and again our midfield leave too much space for players to have time to get a clean shot off. 

I agree to an extent. It's par for the course when Conlons on the pitch, and Pett helps with that a bit (but obviously doesn't prevent it at times, and can't on his own) BUT I lay the vast majority of the blame at the GKs. The percentage of goals conceded from long range shots should be a lot lower than it is, and the main reason for that, IMHO, is lack of anticipation and positioning by both of them.

12 hours ago, LancyTony said:

I occasionally have a couple of days off here, so I don't have to read tw@s like you, glorying in Vale not doing well! I think your intentions are fairly obvious with your "touched a nerve?" comment - positive posting at its best! 

Suppose my intentions are yours, only from the other side , " sick of reading the drivel spouted by a few when we are definately on a terrible run but just dont see this " " We can do no wrong " is another view that seems to get thrown about.

' Attack the post not the poster '  I failed there, Many of us do. We all have different opinions. I will stick with mine, everyone free to state their own. No one wants the Vale to do better than me. Disappointment hurts after a defeat but i dont comment just after a defeat. 

My opinions will continue to be just that. I comment when the team plays well, i comment on individual good performances, i comment on the management team. Nothing wrong with comments when things are not going right. Like i say after 30 games i can base a good opinion and back it up.

It's been clear that the thing separating us from the good sides is what happens in the penalty boxes. We don't stop many shots coming our way (being the worst in the league) and don't score many chances we create. 
We aren't going to buy our way into solving these problems, but loanees can solve it. Trafford and Rushworth being clear examples.
Save % (a dodgy stat but illustrates what we all see)
Fp4LX70X0AEzEL5?format=png&name=large
Conversion rate:
Fp4MlJFX0AIAIO6?format=png&name=large

If Morecambe or Accrington go down Connor Ripley and Lukas Jensen have to be on our list. Look to be overperfoming in bad teams. Surely we could match Morecambe and Accrington for wages.

21 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

If Morecambe or Accrington go down Connor Ripley and Lukas Jensen have to be on our list. Look to be overperfoming in bad teams. Surely we could match Morecambe and Accrington for wages.

May well be true but I would have it a bet that the keepers in the lower premiership teams have a higher save percentage, this does not make them better keepers though. Saying that we definitely need a better keeper in for next season with either Stone or Covolan as a reserve keeper with my preference going to whoever adds more to the dressing room rather than the pitch. 

23 hours ago, JRC said:

When teams attack out wide we drop one of our central midfield players behind the wingback.  That allows the 3 centrebacks to stay in the box. That leaves one midfield player to challenge for the second ball. Whether changing how we defend and sending a centrehalf out to support the wingback would lead to more goals conceded from the initial cross is the question. 

There second goal yesterday came from Pett gambling on winning the ball off their centreforward. I thought there centreforward showed good skill and awareness to play the ball back to their midfield player. The midfield player also showed good awareness of what Pett was trying to do, checked his run and gave himself an extra couple of metres to get his shot away.

Yes, Saturday's second goal was from the edge of the box, but their player was still given a 'freebie' with noone closing him down.  Whatever the rights and wrongs of what we're doing, the end result is too many goals being conceded whichever way you look at it!

1 hour ago, Walka003 said:

Connor Ripley is only on a 12 month deal at Morecambe. Perhaps David Dunn should have a word with his Dad.

On 26/02/2023 at 12:03, JRC said:

This also shows what is wrong in the prem. Amad Diallo is 20 years old, played 3 games for United and is on £28k a week. Likely the reason we struggled to attract some of the loan players from the top teams - we’re not getting close to covering even a partial amount of those wages, let alone the full amount that some parents clubs ask 

On 27/02/2023 at 16:06, maccapvfc said:

This also shows what is wrong in the prem. Amad Diallo is 20 years old, played 3 games for United and is on £28k a week. Likely the reason we struggled to attract some of the loan players from the top teams - we’re not getting close to covering even a partial amount of those wages, let alone the full amount that some parents clubs ask 

Spot on, the game is ruined.  We’re actually fishing in a pretty small pond for players even when it comes to bringing in young lads on loan from Prem and Champoinship clubs.

On 27/02/2023 at 16:06, maccapvfc said:

That's astonishing but I guess not too surprising when you think about it. Yet the premiership are balking at sharing more of their ill-gotten gains with the lower leagues proposed in the new White Paper. No wonder we have such unsustainable wage inflation in L1 and 2 when this is going on. 

Sooner or later this crazy pack of cards is going to fold, so all the more reason to not get caught up in it. 

Archived