onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Salford City v Port Vale

Fosse69

8 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

You’ve missed out attack Warren, we’ve got nothing up top too often at present.  Ellis and Willow not in great form and nothing off the bench to change that situation.  OK, it only takes a goal to spark one of the aforementioned to go on a run, but even so we still miss a Proc type in my opinion, someone within a bit more height and muscle.  Furthermore, a bit more quality and pace in any position wouldn’t hurt either.

I agree with this but I think the front players can be rejuvenated. We are a tad short of pace in ball over the top situations going forward. But in races to second balls I think we are OK with pace, but inconsistent with the mindset. It's like the Plymouth game, which required so much effort, has not been recovered from mentally. I didn't watch tonight, but at Bristol we started well then faded entirely until a late on target shot requiring a good save. What frustrated me most was that Bristol were a very slow team at the back passing the ball around. They were imitating a higher level of football. If put under pressure they would have technically broken down and made mistakes. But we didn't do it. We didn't seem to have the huff and puff and the correct mentality. 

I don't want to be critical of any of the players we have got really. Many are performing at the highest level they can play at presently unless they can be coached to improve. Some could play higher / have played higher. So with the defence I think we need a Harry Mcguire type figure. I'm not sure what I'm asking for at wingback but because we are playing with them as an attacking method they must be effective. When they aren't we dry up going forwards. I think Worrall is pretty good defensively and Benning has improved. They're not getting displaced in the team. 

In the World Cup Argentina had a better goalkeeper. Without that fact Argentina would have lost in 90 mins (top save near the end) and maybe not won the pen shootout. So our goalkeepers are L1 standard but if there is a better level out there grab him quick. 

Advert

1 hour ago, bobbymanc said:

All I can say is that I hope the scabs who attended the match or paid to watch on ifollow enjoyed their Tuesday evening. Hopefully we didn't pick up any injuries, playing such a strong team in what should be treated as a reserve match.

Get <ovf censored> 

3 minutes ago, Bycarsbill said:

Has anyone a simple theory on why we are so inconsistent?  Have a 3-match good run including a terrific away win against the league pace-setters then two 1-0 reversals on the bounce--what's with our yo-yo form?

Quite simply it’s the players, and if you look at the league table we’re not alone.  Only a few teams at any level will be consistently good.  That’s how it works.  OK the manager can be a factor but generally it’s the players ability to perform consistently to a level.

41 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Quite simply it’s the players, and if you look at the league table we’re not alone.  Only a few teams at any level will be consistently good.  That’s how it works.  OK the manager can be a factor but generally it’s the players ability to perform consistently to a level.

I guess you're correct, but it ain't half frustrating when we can perform so well occasionally and then fail to perform at all on other occasions. It's the hopes getting raised and then dashed that's the 'killer'!

12 hours ago, bobbymanc said:

All I can say is that I hope the scabs who attended the match or paid to watch on ifollow enjoyed their Tuesday evening. Hopefully we didn't pick up any injuries, playing such a strong team in what should be treated as a reserve match.

Bit extreme. I know some fans do not approve of this competition, but it’s hardly Orgreave 1984

6 minutes ago, Bycarsbill said:

I guess you're correct, but it ain't half frustrating when we can perform so well occasionally and then fail to perform at all on other occasions. It's the hopes getting raised and then dashed that's the 'killer'!

I see inconsistency as a sign of progress. We've upped a level, so it's more challenging. It takes time to adjust.

Some will make it, some won't. I guess that's where decisions have to be made. Who to persevere with, and who to let go. It's a never ending cycle

4 minutes ago, SFBT said:

I see inconsistency as a sign of progress. We've upped a level, so it's more challenging. It takes time to adjust.

Some will make it, some won't. I guess that's where decisions have to be made. Who to persevere with, and who to let go. It's a never ending cycle

I think that's a very fair assessment, but it's still frustrating at whatever level we are operating to see what we think is solid progress then more backward steps.  But, you're right, even the very best teams don't win every game they play!

7 minutes ago, Bycarsbill said:

I think that's a very fair assessment, but it's still frustrating at whatever level we are operating to see what we think is solid progress then more backward steps.  But, you're right, even the very best teams don't win every game they play!

I share your frustrations 😊

1 hour ago, valiant_593 said:

I like Harrison (a lot) but we’ve been poor since he’s come back in. Wilson out of position and we’re hoofing it up to Harrison who’s missed a lot of chances recently. I’d like to see us go back to the side against Plymouth for the next one 

I agree 

Harrison looks that laid back it seems to have a knock on effect on the team suppose it’s ok when he was scoring  

Not much say really different game if Benning slots in and the Harrison when he was tripped is a pen and we had of converted .
Really disappointed in phase of second half where we gave them so many easy chances score.
Credit to Holden Politic Pett who came on and played with purpose .
Too many didn't maybe they being told they will be moved on if so obviously there desire will drop .
Hitting the bar and playing with fire last 15 of second half doesn't make up for 30 minutes where it could have being 6-0 to them so because of that that must go down as worst performance of the season .
On that showing Salford have better players than us and should be joining us in league 1 if we manage to stay there as nothing is concrete in football next season .
They played excellently and had men in there defence for sure .
Our defence was a shambles played like they didn't want be selected for this game .
Chase Harry Mark is tge least you expect the fact that Salford should have scored 6 tells you all you need to know .
Some must be moved ON
Conlon continues to unimpress me
UTV

Archived