FIFA to take action

Posted (edited)

I’ve just read that FIFA are looking to take action around time wasted on throw ins. Research shows in L2 the ball was only in play for 49 mins 45 seconds. 
I for one applaud this as it’s the fans that are missing out. I’m not sure about awarding kick ins. This should be addressed along with other stoppages eg. corners, goal kicks and free kicks. I’d rather the watch was stopped every time the ball goes out of play or the game is stopped and starts again when back in play. I know initially this could mean games go on for some time, but teams will get use to this. What are other ppls thoughts.? 

Edited by Playa Amodores

Advert:

Applaud this but also how many foul throws get punished these days ? The amount of players who don't put the ball behind their head is unbelievable. 

Big bug bear of mine, also the gaining 10 yards right under the linos nose and they do nothing. 

We always seem to be a late finish at home, gone are the days i'm in the car for 5-00 results on the radio. So any additional time would see a 5 -30 finish ! 

• Like 1

Advert:

Posted (edited)

Let’s face it away teams use throw ins to kill time from minute one in the main. I’m sure they’ll find another way to try and stop a home teams momentum or subdue the crowd in some way. 

Edited by PV1973

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

I read somewhere recently that they’d had a trial game, games even, where the duration was reduced, possibly 30 mins each way, and the clock was stopped every time the ball went dead.

Think they’re looking to trial it this season in the Dutch second division as well. 

Edited by valiant_593
  • Thanks 1

How about 2 feet on the grass for throw ins too?

Goalies taking goal kicks from the side that the ball has gone out?

Non injured players leaving the pitch nearest to the touchline when subbed?

Book the players being subbed who aren't injured and saunter off the pitch?

Bristol would definitely be knackered...

• Like 1

Advert:

Advert:

In my own view there’s nothing wrong with the game itself, its just that the rules aren't being correctly applied.

The Sun reported:

“Research carried out by the CIES Football Observatory discovered that in 90-minute games, the ball was in play for just under 60 minutes.

This was from games in 36 leagues across Europe from the start of the 2018-19 season.

The Premier League average for in-play football was 60mins 59secs, placing them ninth of the 36 leagues studied.

The Eredivisie of Holland was top at 63mins 21secs with the German Bundesliga bottom on 58mins 46secs.”