onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

4 minutes ago, Danish Valiant said:

I just hope the plan now is, to give McDermott a more natural 17 year old intro to League 1 football. I know the saying goes "if you're good enough, you're old enough", and no doubt the lad has ability. But the worst two games have also shown, quite naturally, that he's been thrown in at the deep end out of necessity. To be fair and honest: he played because we had absolutely nothing else!

I'd like to see him now get a more withdrawn role, easing him in at a more natural pace. Given the odd 15 minutes here and 20 minutes there, like on Wednesday. Maybe even using him in his more natural midfield position... 

Players his age, when promoted to senior football, need succesfull experiences to progress. And while the Fleetwood game was such, even though he quite naturally seemed very light weight at times, he doesn't need to many more games like Exeter, to stall his development. 

He looked decent when he came on on Wednesday a lot better than against Fleetwood anyway 

Advert

Just now, Packmoor_vale said:

He looked decent when he came on on Wednesday a lot better than against Fleetwood anyway 

That's why I say, I think he should get the odd 15 minutes here and 20 minutes there. To come on when the opposition is getting tired, and use his youthful pace and flair to our, and his, advantage.

The idea that he's here to recover feels like a bit of a strange one, since he was first choice in the second half of last season after his 3 months off with illness. So even if he wasn't 100% when he came back, they still felt he was fit enough and performing well enough to stay in the team ahead of Eastwood, and have subsequently given him the #1 shirt. Only to then sign a keeper from Sligo and start Eastwood in the league. It doesn't add up somehow, but at least we have a L1 standard keeper, so good news for us.

There may have been a deal all but signed for him to move somewhere higher up the pyramid that fell through by which time they had budgeted for him to not be there.

10 minutes ago, wotsyobeef said:

There may have been a deal all but signed for him to move somewhere higher up the pyramid that fell through by which time they had budgeted for him to not be there.

I think it is a matter of wait and see, not a straightforward loan by any means, good angle that.

On 11/08/2022 at 12:03, Jgpvfc said:

Spot on… not sure what some posters on here expect.

There is a good chance most of our signings will be players a lot of our fans haven’t heard of or seen. That’s mainly due to the fact that we’ve signed decent well established league one players. Players that we couldn’t have signed had we not been promoted. 

You can never be sure until they've played a bunch of games for you. but on paper at least, the signings of Cass, Massey, Ojo, Forrester and Harrison in-particular all look extremely solid to me, and an improvement on what has left the club. Don't get me wrong, losing Gibbons hurt a bit as we considered him one of own and he's a good player. But he's also someone that is almost guaranteed to miss half a season, and so you can understand why the club didn't break the bank to keep him.

1 hour ago, Brian Johnson said:

By putting an upside down laughing emoji, I was hoping that people would see that I was being sarcastic.

You probably did not read past that comment which means you missed my comments that I think its a cracking signing 

Don't understand half the emoji meanings. My  bad 😁

33 minutes ago, wotsyobeef said:

Good shout, in which case tho you might have expected them to ship Eastwood out and keep Stevens as no 1, if he is good enough to play higher up the pyramid?

Suppose this way they get best of both worlds, as we carry the risk for this season in case he doesn't get back to 100%, and they retain the potential resale value if it does go well.

For us, we plug a short-term gap with at least a solid L1 standard keeper, who could turn out to be even better than that. Clearly our recruitment team were monitoring, saw Oxford had 3 good keepers, then presumably (if/when the Blackman deal fell through) went and asked them which one was available. Win-win.

A lot of interesting points to come out of the DC interview:

1) See's Harrison as more of a Proctor type of player. My impression was he was more like Wilson from everything I've read, so it will be interesting to see him tomorrow.

2) Looking for a different style of centre forward, we've missed out on a number of this style both on loan and perms. I wonder if he's looking for the next Harratt here?

3) Garrity to Peterborough, that's very left field! If the price was right I wouldn't be averse to him moving on, would guess £600k+ would get him?

4) If he's looking at another 3 signings (23 senior players now and he wants up to 26) it would be interesting to know where he thinks the gaps are. One/two centre forwards i'd guess.

Side note - is it me or does George Andrew just take Phil Bowers questions and reword them every week?

Seen that theres a rumour that peterborough are interested in garrity. Probs false but if it was true I wouldn't mind if we sold him on. Dont reckon he will get anywhere near his goal tally of last year he is actually one that i think will struggle in higher divisions as he isnt amazing on the ball and his range of passing isnt that good either. Not saying hes not a good player but he would be someone id be looking cash in on if someone put an offer in. Hes deffo not irreplaceable and dont think hes looked up to scratch so far although only been two games 

11 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

1) See's Harrison as more of a Proctor type of player. My impression was he was more like Wilson from everything I've read, so it will be interesting to see him tomorrow.

2) Looking for a different style of centre forward, we've missed out on a number of this style both on loan and perms. I wonder if he's looking for the next Harratt here?

3) Garrity to Peterborough, that's very left field! If the price was right I wouldn't be averse to him moving on, would guess £600k+ would get him?

4) If he's looking at another 3 signings (23 senior players now and he wants up to 26) it would be interesting to know where he thinks the gaps are. One/two centre forwards i'd guess.

Side note - is it me or does George Andrew just take Phil Bowers questions and reword them every week?

Good calls.

George Andrews 😃

He doesn't ask questions, he makes lengthy statements and DC has to respond in some way. It's hilarious.

1 hour ago, Walka003 said:

£600k???? Are you sure???

How did you come to that value?

I maybe a little bit controversial here but I think the weak spots could be the central of defence in which he will look to reinforce.

3 minutes ago, Brian Johnson said:

£600k???? Are you sure???

How did you come to that value?

I maybe a little bit controversial here but I think the weak spots could be the central of defence in which he will look to reinforce.

Dunno, just off the top of my head. Probably a bit pie in the sky you're right but he was one of the top scoring midfielders in the league below last year, along with out player of the season and a promotion winner. 

Archived