onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

11 minutes ago, rayzer said:

Using the England keeper and the other poster mentioning Holy does not mean I am wrong in my opinion. These two keepers are the exceptions. It would be interesting to check the goalkeepers heights of the teams in the top three divisions.

I hope Stevens proves me wrong.

I went to the liberty of finding out th height of every premier league goalkeeper for you, albeit this is 20/21

Goalkeeper Height
Adrian San Miguel (Liverpool) 190cm (6-3)
Alex Runarsson (Arsenal) 185cm (6-1)
Alisson Becker (Liverpool) 193 cm (6-4)
Alphonse Areola (Fulham) 192cm (6-3½)
Kepa Arrizabalaga (Chelsea) 189cm (6-2½)
David Button (West Brom) 192 cm (6-3½)
Willy Caballero (Chelsea) 185cm (6-1)
Kiko Casilla (Leeds) 190cm (6-3)
Karl Darlow (Newcastle) 190cm (6-3)
Ederson (Man City) 188cm (6-2)
Lukasz Fabianski (West Ham) 190cm (6-3)
Fraser Forster (Southampton) 201cm (6-7)
David De Gea (Man United) 192 cm (6-3½)
Vicente Guaita (Crystal Palace) 191cm (6-3)
Dean Henderson (Man United) 188cm (6-2)
Sam Johnstone (West Brom) 191cm (6-3)
Caoimhin Kelleher (Liverpool) 188cm (6-2)
Bernd Leno (Arsenal) 190cm (6-2½)
Hugo Lloris (Tottenham) 188cm (6-2)
Emiliano Martinez (Aston Villa) 193 cm (6-4)
Alex McCarthy (Southampton) 193 cm (6-4)
Edouard Mendy (Chelsea) 197 cm (6-5)
Illan Meslier (Leeds) 193 cm (6-4)
Robin Olsen (Everton) 198cm (6-5½)
Rui Patricio (Wolves) 189cm (6-2½)
Bailey Peacock-Farrell (Burnley) 193 cm (6-4)
Jordan Pickford (Everton) 185cm (6-½)
Nick Pope (Burnley) 198cm (6-5½)
Aaron Ramsdale (Sheffield) 188cm (6-2)
Darren Randolph (West Ham) 188cm (6-2)
Marek Rodak (Fulham) 188cm (6-2)
Mathew Ryan (Arsenal) 184cm (6-0)
Robert Sanchez (Brighton) 197cm (6-5)
Kasper Schmeichel (Leicester) 189cm (6-2)
Zack Steffen (Man City) 191cm (6-3)

11 of the 36 goalkeepers are 6'2 or less, so it's not a statistical anomaly, Goalkeepers don't have to be massive

Advert

5 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

Highly intellectual response.

But "get real" in what way?

Vaclav Hladky isn't in Ipswich's first team plans and will be moved on.

Alex Smithies is currently unemployed with the season already started. Has stated he wants a move closer to his Huddersfield home (like when Scott Brown left Wycombe to join us)

Chris Maxwell isn't in Blackpool's first team plans, has said he wants regular football, and their manager has said he can leave.

What "isn't real" about those expectations?  

We may well have asked about all 3. Ipswich will be paying close to Championship money and the other 2 will be used to Championship money. All 3 will expect 6 - 10k per week (300 - 520,000 a year), maybe more if the Wrexham story is true. Our budget will have increased but I'm guessing to just north of 2,000,000. 

I don't think Stevens was in our top 5 targets; but we can only get what we can afford. Someone who has earned as much as Smithies has can afford to sit it out and wait for a club with a keeper crisis to pay him what he believes he is worth. It's getting quite rare for players in their 30s to drop down to our level, sadly.

19 minutes ago, rayzer said:

Using the England keeper and the other poster mentioning Holy does not mean I am wrong in my opinion. These two keepers are the exceptions. It would be interesting to check the goalkeepers heights of the teams in the top three divisions.

I hope Stevens proves me wrong.

I really feel height is irrelevant. The way we started to play last season and bring big in Nash it’s clear we value a GK who can play as sweeper,starting attacks. 

It would indicate this is a strength of Stevens otherwise the PL clubs wouldn’t be interested.

In my view this is one of the weakest parts of Stones game although he is improving all the time.

From a Bristol Rovers forum, re Harrison

"I was gutted when he left. His subsequent career has done much to assuage that feeling. Why has he left Fleetwood so quickly? He's not really prolific. Saw him away at Doncaster once and he scored a hat-trick. But, er, Donny had no Centre Backs available, so that wasn't quite the achievement it seemed. It might work out and DC certainly knows him. Most likely scenario is that someone else plays off him and is prolific."

"Shame it didn't work out for Ellis at other Clubs, I have no idea why. DC knows his qualities. I'd say he looks a very good signing. Best of luck to him, DC, and Vale."

"Ellis has said he now realised he is not a big scorer but is main role is team contribution.
See he got six goals in 18 games last season, good return.
Will give his all, plus good at defending set pieces."

"The guy had a lot of detractors here yet he proved to be vital in our one season in the conference and kept us in the final with his goal. I always thought he was a handy player, he drew players onto him, which made space for others. Personally, i thought he was great and DC also said he was a positive asset in the dressing room. If DC gets him fully motivated then he could be a great player for you and i would have him back in a heartbeat. Thought some of the abuse was really bad and totally out of order "

"Good young player with bursts of energy and enthusiasm. It needed to be curbed. DC got hold of him, put his arm round him (which he needs) and channelled his talents into a useful proposition. Last season with us, he added a 'defensive set piece heading away art' to his feathering nest.

I really like him.
Nice guy.
He's made some motivation speeches at Mem and happy to engage with fanbase.
Community clubs need these sorts of servants.

Maybe this division is at his zenith, but he'll get you a few goals and the crowd will love him. So will we....if he regains from scoring against us!"

Though the bold quote was interesting.

9 minutes ago, jeffers said:

For a start running a multi million pound business would suggest my intellect is fine. Getting real is about our pay structure, we would all like the best available but we have a secure financial limitations that so far are proving a sound basis. Believe in what the owners / management team are trying to build, don’t want to be another Bury. Being a forum you are entitled to your opinion without  the need for childish comments.

Lol says the person going around just commenting "get real" 😂😂

In what planet would Hladky or Maxwell be out of our pay structure? They've been at St Mirren/Salford and Blackpool/Fleetwood! Smithies maybe, but he'll have to sign for someone, and if most clubs already have a first choice keeper he might not get exactly what he wants.

6 minutes ago, tisdeano said:

from a sample I’ve seen the majority positive

Same here… also spoke to a lad I know through work who is an Oxford fan and he says is a very decent signing.

Monitored by a tonne of Prem clubs, decent distribution, positionally sound and has some worldie saves in him.

7 hours ago, Osh said:

Ok - I know these videos always show the best of the player rather than the glaring misses and the lack of control, etc...but this segment seems to be a bit longer than usual - and that's because the lad has scored a lot of good goals! Particularly like the one where he's by himself, L/H side of the penalty area...looks up and decides where his shot is going...and sends it there! Looks a terrific signing to me!  Well done The Process!

Oxford fan in peace.

Really hope Jack does well for you guys. He has the makings of a good modern keeper. He's comfortable with the ball at his feet, is quick off his line, has decent reflexes and a good record with penalty saves.

The things holding him back are that he's not very dominant coming for balls into the box (saw that mentioned as a requirement earlier), and he got beaten too easily by shots outside the box last year. That wasn't helped by the fact that we our defence/midfield was terrible at closing down and challenging for second balls.

Obviously, it's been mentioned a lot that we were fending off PL bids last summer, then he got glandular fever and lost his starting place to Eastwood, who has his own various weaknesses. We then signed a kid from the Irish leagues who had an... eventful debut in the Carabao Cup. So 3 keepers in the building and none of them cementing a claim for the No 1 jersey.

I think Stevens getting an opportunity to try and solidify a starting place and show his quality again is best for both parties. He's had one great season and one underwhelming season since breaking through. Hope you get the magic version, and best of luck for the season ahead!

P.S. Thanks for the Swindon tears last season, enjoyed that greatly.

Portsmouth fans on Harrison:

Absolutely, good luck to the lad but I could never get overly excited by him at Pompey.

Totally agree. He was always one who put a shift in, but probably lacked a bit of quality to be a top end League One striker that we were hoping for. Hope it works out for him except against us.

Archived