onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

4 hours ago, DazFred said:

Harratt played out on the left for Bradford when they got hammered by Chesterfield at the weekend. I think he's made a mistake going there. They have Cook,Oliver and Angol as forwards. Huddersfield have signed Hudlin,then loaned him out. Harratt is out of contract next season. I'd have liked him to test himself in L1 as there's no doubt he's got a bit of quality.

This is just an opinion and I don't want everyone to agree with me...

OK he would never have started unless our front 2 were injured but as last season proved that is a distinct possibility. As mentioned Bradford seem to be strong upfront, ironically  Harratt could have well been starting for us on Saturday.

Advert

2 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Agreed.  You’d want Kian to be facing his opponent rather than back to goal.  When Harratt and Edmonson were playing you could see that we turned the ball over a bit too much up top, either through lack of strength or, more often in my view, poor decision making.  This was to be expected as both players are still raw, Kian especially, and both need games for their development, which neither would get enough of in a League 1 team.  Edmonson has got the better move in theory, you can see him featuring a lot more, but ultimately it’s down to both players to perform to a level where the respective managers can’t leave them out.  In Kian’s case, maybe Bradford have agreed to play him in a certain number of games, something we apparently won’t do.  Maybe Bradford were simply willing to pay more towards his wages.  Who knows.

I thought he had his best game at Wembley, after 6 months with us you’d expect him to slot straight into the system, but worth adding he’d only got into the starting 11 due to Proc’s injury at the end of the day.

He’s a finisher so should have a good career, and maybe we’ll see him back here in the black ‘n’ white at some point, but we need a couple more experienced strikers in reality.  We’re still looking….

I think as a manager you have to view things dispassionately, whereas fans, well, we tend to view the situation with nothing but passion. I'm not so sure Kian would have had as many plaudits had he not scored in the play off final. I would suggest that most Vale fans would not start him ahead of Proctor or Wilson (injuries aside). Perhaps Darrell may regret not keeping him in view of the dearth of fresh faces up to this point but I can see why he hasn't kept him. I've really been trying to stay calm and believe we will be bringing in better and I am still of that belief however I think we do need a minimum of two additions before 3pm on Saturday. Hopefully one will be a quality striker. 

23 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

worth adding he’d only got into the starting 11 due to Proc’s injury at the end of the day

I think for youngsters like Harratt and Edmondson that's part of the deal though. They were brought in as cover. If there are injuries and they perform well, they have a chance of keeping the shirt. If the first choice duo are fit and on form, they are likely to be on the bench. That was basically the deal for both of them last season and they were both willing to come. It's part of their development - to be involved in a first-team squad training and so on... even if not featuring in the starting eleven.

I also think that helps to not unsettle the team too much. If you've got three or four permanent signings and you can only play two of them, then the other two may get unsettled pretty quick. If you're bringing in loanees, clearly as support / back-up  then you don't have that issue. 

It's all history now, but had Harratt come on loan again this summer I would imagine it would be exactly the same terms - you are cover for our first choice but do well when you get a chance and you'll keep the shirt. In the meantime, learn, be enthusiastic and get a chance to play at a division higher than last season. 

I personally think we could do with a similar character now - a young, enthusiastic kid who's rated as one for the future by their parent club and is prepared to come here, knuckle down, learn and (hopefully) also take his chance when offered any game time. 

I appreciate getting one of the above is easier said than done, which is why I am a bit surprised we didn't go to Huddersfield to get one we already know about - surely for Huddersfield, getting their player on loan to a L1 club would have been better than another loan season in L2. 

Oh well, I hope we do get some quality forwards in - whether on loan or permanent. 

38 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

We’re not bothered about Barrett, he’s crap.  What about Harratt?

Pair him with Holland in the midfield though and they’ll be healthy for the whole season.

27 minutes ago, Alsager Whites said:

each day that passes is less time for a new player to get integrated before two winnable games. hope we get stuff done early this week.

There are 46 winnable games.

If i were to start a new job on Monday i would be expected to be earning a crust straight away, the boss wouldn't say to me that i have a week to be 'integrated'.

I would expect some leeway from the boss/colleagues for a short time but still, i would expect to be contributing straight away.

These are professional footballers, they know their role within a game, or should quite quickly.

Archived