onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

13 minutes ago, Birches Head Fred said:

There are 46 winnable games.

If i were to start a new job on Monday i would be expected to be earning a crust straight away, the boss wouldn't say to me that i have a week to be 'integrated'.

I would expect some leeway from the boss/colleagues for a short time but still, i would expect to be contributing straight away.

These are professional footballers, they know their role within a game, or should quite quickly.

well most jobs have training/onboarding/probation, but..

football is different. paid to perform specifically on saturdays and it is a team game. how many times does a player do well for club a but bad for club b. there's a reason you shouldnt judge signings straight away. they may go from playing in a back 4 to a back 5 - very different. or go from being a lone striker to a pair. you need preparation. last season the players said how good the team spirit was, how united everyone was. we're now expecting new players to have a couple of sessions and then perform whilst barely knowing their teammates names. crosby admitted on saturday that theyd have preferred to have players in before now so they can get integrated. new signings don't get that luxury now. sink or swim. it is foolish to assume there is no benefit to integrating players.

there are 46 winnable games but the realist accepts that some are more winnable than others.

Advert

3 minutes ago, tisdeano said:

God knows how Dean Glover coped on his debut

there's always exceptions to the rule and that is not evidence that you don't need to integrate players. 

by and large footballers need time to settle in the area, understand the tactical instructions/demands, form bonds with teammates if they are to do well. we are going to be asking several players to come straight in and perform at lg1 level. a risk.

if youre making the argument that 'players don't need to integrate' then you're that far deep in trying to spin everything into a positive that youre not critically thinking anymore.

there's always exceptions to the rule and that is not evidence that you don't need to integrate players. 
by and large footballers need time to settle in the area, understand the tactical instructions/demands, form bonds with teammates if they are to do well. we are going to be asking several players to come straight in and perform at lg1 level. a risk.
if youre making the argument that 'players don't need to integrate' then you're that far deep in trying to spin everything into a positive that youre not critically thinking anymore.

Why get personal , I was merely offering the other side of the debate ? Is that not allowed now on OVF

Have you been in football long ? You seem to know a great deal of how players settle in

3 minutes ago, tisdeano said:

Why get personal , I was merely offering the other side of the debate ? Is that not allowed now on OVF

Have you been in football long ? You seem to know a great deal of how players settle in

not sure i did get personal, just suggested that your points (which i enjoy reading) are now beyond engaging critically with the issue of discussion and instead spin everything through a positive lens. i think that's a fair engagement with your argument? you are free to deny it i just think its reached a point where nothing can ever be seen as bad for you (which i admire but also think isn't accurate)

footballers need time to integrate into a new team. thats a well established fact. some settle in immediately but teams have pre-seasons/friendlies/bonding sessions for a reason. we are rolling the dice by depriving most of our new signings of these opportunities and putting a lot of pressure to perform on saturday when will need directions to the dressing rooms.

My observation about Dean Glover was factually accurate

Some players take no time acclimating themselves to the area as quite often players live in hotels 3/4 nights a week, it’s a feature of the modern game

It’s blatantly obvious that the preference is to let players bond , get them in earlier , in struggling to see what pointing this out achieves as we can do b*^^^r all about it

My nature is positive , it’s had to have been , I do get that others panic and worry over things they can have no influence over , my tip is simple “ try not to it’s not healthy “

We’re talking about adding 6 or 7 new players.  They will take a bit of time to settle, no doubt about that.  The thing is that even if 7 landed on Friday, in time to be named in the match day squad, it’s highly unlikely all would feature.  More likely one, possibly two would start, any others probably coming off the bench, if at all.  My view is that if we sign a keeper Stone would still be in the nets on Saturday.  The most likely first team debut would be if we signed a forward.

I like the Dean Glover analogy but we can also use examples such as Zak Jules and that Forest keeper , was it Evtimov ?

My preference is for players to integrate with the squad such as Ojo who seems to have fitted in seamlessly. 

Surely not chucking a keeper in at the deep end this late in the day. So I'm assuming Stone starts on Saturday 

Lets look at the 46 games last season with the players we had in our squad ,they all did a good job and in the way they performed in second leg v Swindon and final at Wembley for me the momentum was building as undoubtedly according to the messiahs on this forum Conlons our best player (I beg to differ I think them all collectively are very good players no standout ones to me )so if indeed we go into first month with the lads(majority ) plus ojo who did such a tremendous job for there careers and the Vale faithful then I'm pretty confident without any new signings we be mid table ,the signings are surely if any come at any time soon or later to move us into challenging top 7 .
There's no point in signing players who will help confirm our league 1 status to push us on would be the reason to buy the 6/7 we need .
It is disappointing no new players have being revealed however its a damn lot more disappointing buying players who do not improve the team and in some cases weaken the team .
Be careful with what you wish for .
UTV

I thought Harratt had more bad games than good, I think the last 2 games of the season are clouding judgement a bit when you look at his loan as a whole. I think we can do better and hopefully we get someone in soon. 

Archived