onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

38 minutes ago, newchapel valiant said:

Someone on oatcake says Will forester has turned a contract down with them and is signing for us.

Oh and they have started a third thread about us which is already two pages and growing lol

Not sure on that one as they rate him very highly there,although he is way down the pecking order with them signing more defenders

Cant see it though tbh

Advert

nowt passive this is a joke, season in 4 days and got 1 keeper 1 fit striker and can't fill a bench
Alsager, I don't think anyone has suggested that the current squad numbers are acceptable and it is without doubt that the management team would of ideally preferred new players in earlier.

I've posed this question before, but I'm interested to know what you think the club should do?

1. Sign players of a lower quality to get numbers in?

2. Break the wage structure and pay what players are demanding and then suffer the consequences?

3. Hold out for quality players and hope their wage demands fall within our budget?

4. Sign d*ckheads who could upset the camp?

Sent from my POT-LX1 using onevalefan mobile app

10 minutes ago, Budgie_2260 said:

Alsager, I don't think anyone has suggested that the current squad numbers are acceptable and it is without doubt that the management team would of ideally preferred new players in earlier.

I've posed this question before, but I'm interested to know what you think the club should do?

2. Break the wage structure and pay what players are demanding and then suffer the consequences?

3. Hold out for quality players and hope their wage demands fall within our budget?

ideally three but when three doesn't happen (which is how this summer has gone!), you have to consider 1 2 or 4 unfortunately. not ideal but when plan a doesn't work, or waiting patiently for excellent players to become affordable, you either have to pay the going rate or take a risk with a player.

we're letting perfect be the enemy of good and are walking into a league 1 season with around 12 match fit players (and that's debatable with only 2 friendlies) with no time to get players up to speed. 16 players will be needed per game.

its admirable that we're so committed to playing the waiting game but time is almost up and agents will know that desparation will be creeping in negating the leverage we have built up, worsened by willos injury.

just my view. as with everything this summer i admire the vision and balls of it but you have to actually do the thing youre talking about and thus far the words have spoken much louder than the action!

Good questions....be interesting to hear what the answers are ..I go for No 3

Just now, Vale Ball said:
7 minutes ago, Budgie_2260 said:

its clear we've tried 3 but its not happening! 

3 minutes ago, Vale Ball said:
10 minutes ago, Budgie_2260 said:

And mine... patience is the key, it's marathon not a sprint.

12 minutes ago, Budgie_2260 said:

I’d go for 3 and not lose my bottle and abandon the plan when it gets a bit nervy.

But I’m a long termist… if they believe they can ride through this rough patch with a better outcome than the other options then I back them. They have earned it!

KTF

UTV

1 hour ago, Fosse69 said:

Last season we were bringing players who may have to play in L1, this season are we buying players who may have to play in the Championship? I think not.

My point is, most players sign two year deals, hence the ones we sign this season will impact next season. 

ideally three but when three doesn't happen (which is how this summer has gone!), you have to consider 1 2 or 4 unfortunately. not ideal but when plan a doesn't work, or waiting patiently for excellent players to become affordable, you either have to pay the going rate or take a risk with a player.
we're letting perfect be the enemy of good and are walking into a league 1 season with around 12 match fit players (and that's debatable with only 2 friendlies) with no time to get players up to speed.
its admirable that we're so committed to playing the waiting game but time is almost up and agents will know that desparation will be creeping in negating the leverage we have built up, worsened by willos injury.
just my view. as with everything this summer i admire the vision and balls of it but you have to actually do the thing youre talking about and thus far the words have spoken much louder than the action!

I appreciate the 4 options are simplified and there are obviously going to be variables.

The club are clearly banking on Option 3.

I respectfully disagree that waiting longer negates our leverage with agents, it's my opinion that the balance of power swings in favour of the buying clubs the longer time goes on, as players will want to find clubs for fear of been left on the shelf once everyone has filled their squads.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but as much as the stress is killing me, I admire the recruitment team for holding out for better.

They must have balls of steel!

I personally believe that our squad will be stronger at the end of this transfer window than it was at the beginning.

Strange though how you still have quality players like Lowery and Brown,Massey and others who are taking it to the wire themselves as players,so the players are still out there as well as decent loan opportunities and players tied to clubs so we know for a fact that several players will still come in,the question is how many this week

1 hour ago, bar1 said:

I get people are frustrated that we haven't signed about 8 players by now - but we didn't/don't need to.  We are not in a rebuilding stage, it's about adding better quality.  If we don't add at least a keeper and a striker before the weekend, Id be a little concerned but there's time.  

For me we needed about 6 - 8 players, we have 1 keeper who is a solid back up in league 2 but as first choice in league 1 not for me, hope I am wrong.  We have no competition for Worrall at all now Gibbo has gone, Cass can play there but he needs to be on the right of a 3 man defence.  Our back up centre backs are Jones and Robinson who played a total of 30 minutes since Christmas between them and clearly the manager didn't feel they were good enough at League 2, we are now in League 1.  Robinson might come good but feel a spell on loan would do him good.

In midfield we have Pett, Conlon and Walker all returning from operations/long spells out injured, we have literally no wide players, I know Clarke doesn't play with wingers from the start but you need them when chasing the game, can't rely on 352 always working.  We then have one fit striker who is injury prone and needs to be wrapped in cotton wool, no idea when Wilson be fit but if he is out for weeks or months then we would need another 3 strikers.

In total for me, a keeper, right wing back, centre back (for me maybe 2), don't see Jones as good enough and Robinson not ready, 2 strikers and a forward who can play on the wing or through the middle similar to Politic.

The worry is that if we don't get anyone in and we get a few injuries at the weekend, any selling club will know how desperate we are and the price will go up even more.

33 minutes ago, Budgie_2260 said:

Whilst it was obviously difficult to plan for this seaon when we didn't know which league we'd be in, what contingency plans were in place? There was talk of Flitcroft ripping up his 'League Two plans' but was there anything in place for League One? Surely it's possible to provisionally plan for two eventualities but it doesn't look like this took place, ceratinly not to a satisfactory level. So maybe there should be a fifth option which could also include not jetisoning existing players without replacements in place.

10 minutes ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

Whilst it was obviously difficult to plan for this seaon when we didn't know which league we'd be in, what contingency plans were in place? There was talk of Flitcroft ripping up his 'League Two plans' but was there anything in place for League One? Surely it's possible to provisionally plan for two eventualities but it doesn't look like this took place, ceratinly not to a satisfactory level. So maybe there should be a fifth option which could also include not jetisoning existing players without replacements in place.

To be fair we've only ditched Amoo.

The others left of their own free will for varying reasons. 

Better to be rid than have unhappy people in the camp ?

Archived