onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

Advert

1 hour ago, valefan16 said:

I took it that he was learning so he asked why aren't we in for X player and they went through the process they go through so Paddy can see how they decide on players.

I liked the sound of Paddy, he come across really well and he's always been a mystery so it's good to hear about and from him.

There is a good chance Paddy will be the one taking the helm when Carol and Kevin decide to call it a day so it was quite re-assuring and very positive to hear that he seems to have the same excellent value's and that the club would be in safe hands long long term if that turned out the case.

That was my take on it too.  Carol has spoken about how she now watches matches / players actions in a totally different way after sitting with DC / DF who have explained what they look at from a professional perspective rather than from a fans perspective.

I take this as part if Paddy’s training for when he eventually takes over - understanding/asking the why? Questions so that he fully understands the process, rather than being part of the decision making (aside from involvement in overall budget setting perhaps)

9 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Recruitment over the next couple of weeks confirmed by CG but he alluded to the fact our shorter closed season has had an effect.

Nor are we doing a major overall, I would expect more changes next Summer, so couple of L1 and  a couple of loans. Goalkeeper a possibility?

I don’t get why so many seem so obsessed with loans. Let’s sign our own players and if we are short / need a squad player we bring a loan in. We shouldn’t be relying on loans. 9/10 times they’re either not very good or don’t end up being with the same club the season after. Cass the obvious anomaly to this. 

I don’t mind us taking time announcing / signing players, probably means we’re scouting properly - but I do think we need more players than most. 
1st team keeper. RWB, another CB, LWB, 1 winger and 2 strikers. 
Still think we need at least 6/7 players personally. 

16 hours ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

What's the squad limit this year? It's all well and good saying that players might be good squad players but we don't really have that luxury when numbers are limited. Also, with the additional subs, we're going to need to be more flexible and have subs who can change games, especially with Amoo gone. We don't really have any width in midfield apart from Worrall, if we have to go with wingers.

I think we need another option at RWB to compete and cover for Worral, but given we hardly play wingers I’m not sure what we’ll do business wise in that area. Hurst and Amoo have gone who you would call wingers which as you say only leaves Worrall if we need to change formation. 

13 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

I don’t get why so many seem so obsessed with loans. Let’s sign our own players and if we are short / need a squad player we bring a loan in. We shouldn’t be relying on loans. 9/10 times they’re either not very good or don’t end up being with the same club the season after. Cass the obvious anomaly to this. 

No point in developing other clubs players unless there is an option to keep. Some will not be good enough, some will be too good but will score decisive goals. Worth a chance.

2 hours ago, valefan16 said:

I took it that he was learning so he asked why aren't we in for X player and they went through the process they go through so Paddy can see how they decide on players.

I liked the sound of Paddy, he come across really well and he's always been a mystery so it's good to hear about and from him.

There is a good chance Paddy will be the one taking the helm when Carol and Kevin decide to call it a day so it was quite re-assuring and very positive to hear that he seems to have the same excellent value's and that the club would be in safe hands long long term if that turned out the case.

I agree with this completely. Carol is such a force of nature and bang on in how she acts. I was worried that it would be a tough gig for anyone that follows.

Credit to Patrick though as in his own right he seems really engaging, self aware and seems to talk in a similar style of compassionate leadership that carol does so well.

I've enjoyed some of the behind the scenes stuff on the pod recently.

Anyway I am aware this is off topic. Any transfer news anyone?

17 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

I don’t get that argument. We signed two first team strikers last season that wouldn’t be happy just sitting on the bench every week and will be on a decent wage. They haven’t caused issues. Surely they’ve signed a first team striker, to play in their first team. Don’t see any issue other than they’ve got a good player. If he signed for us surely he would start with Wilson? Proctor as 3rd choice? I get the argument if you already have an influx of quality strikers but we don’t, we have two. 

I won't go down the road of confirmation bias. Wilson got a broken foot v Bradford rather than an enduring injury and should stay fit. Proctor played over 30 games last season but was playing with an injury at the end. He has played 371 career games in total at age 30. He is now in his peak years. Both Wilson and Proctor need to be helped to increase their goals rate which I think is about being out and out attackers and backed by an improved midfield and pair of wingbacks. 

So I agree that we need probably 2 more strikers and maybe also Garrity is converted by way of bringing in midfield players freeing him up to play very up front. But I would look to sign or loan players of potential who push Wilson and Proctor. Actually Norwood, who is likely to go to Oxford or Bristol R, has mainly been a League 2 / non league player and Ipswich was his first step up to League 1. He has done OK there but not set League 1 on fire and been injured quite a lot. So I'm against investing in a player like him, but if he came after all the sports analysis and financial negotiations then I would fully support him. 

Archived