onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

4 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

I dont understand why?

Getting sent off 3 times in your first season burned all his bridges with DC i think

I only blame him for the Northampton one.  The friendly one was a joke by the ref and the McKirdy one was what every one of us in the stands wanted to do!

Advert

Thanks to Stoney but let’s get him back on the bench and get a nailed on starter with league experience. The back line needs leadership and a commanding presence in goal would take the 3 CBs to the next level in my opinion. Hall is a leader but can’t do it alone. A keeper directing the troops is needed to cope with the step up. Stone is worth his contract renewal and will continue to get better.

I think the writing was on the wall for cov after that red card. Like someone mentioned above DC probably doesn't trust him , not to forget his red card in pre season also.
Although he will be a cult hero at Vale for me personally. 
Ninja Kicking mckirdy and his emotional video at Wembley will live long in the memory. 
All the best Mad Cov 

Least we can be excited about a new signing coming in now...
How could we forget his red card in pre season given how it's brought up every time Cov is mentioned. Never, in all my decades as a Vale fan, have I ever seen such a reaction and constant slagging of a player over a red card in pre season. We've set a precedent now guys. I expect any player sent off in a meaningless pre season game to be subjected to the same treatment. Even if it's Conlon, Worrall and the like

3 minutes ago, philmpv said:
26 minutes ago, boslemportvale91 said:
I think the writing was on the wall for cov after that red card. Like someone mentioned above DC probably doesn't trust him , not to forget his red card in pre season also.
Ninja Kicking mckirdy and his emotional video at Wembley will live long in the memory. 
All the best Mad Cov 

How could we forget his red card in pre season given how it's brought up every time Cov is mentioned. Never, in all my decades as a Vale fan, have I ever seen such a reaction and constant slagging of a player over a red card in pre season. We've set a precedent now guys. I expect any player sent off in a meaningless pre season game to be subjected to the same treatment. Even if it's Conlon, Worrall and the like

To be fair I remember some fans slating Conlon when he was named captain as he was too hot headed because he got a red in the past. 

Legge also. Can't remember which game it was but he got a red and certain fans were calling for him to be dropped for good as he wasn't reliable enough according to them 

5 minutes ago, philmpv said:
28 minutes ago, boslemportvale91 said:
All the best Mad Cov 

I haven't slated covolan,all i did was state the obvious he burned his bridges by those sendings offs

For what its worth i liked Cov and you probably need characters like him but i have no doubt that the keeper coming in will be better than him or have the potential to be

1 minute ago, werstayinup said:

I haven't slated covolan,all i did was state the obvious he burned his bridges by those sendings offs

For what its worth i liked Cov and you probably need characters like him but i have no doubt that the keeper coming in will be better than him or have the potential to be

Agreed mate. Personally I preferred Stone over Cov. For me Covolan made silly mistakes to cost us goals but I'm sure stone has too hence why we need a strong experienced league 1 keeper. 

Just now, boslemportvale91 said:

Agreed mate. Personally I preferred Stone over Cov. For me Covolan made silly mistakes to cost us goals but I'm sure stone has too hence why we need a strong experienced league 1 keeper. 

A tall athletic keeper would be nice but one who commands his area

5 minutes ago, boslemportvale91 said:

Holy made more mistakes than Cov and Stone put together.  Complete waste of a wage in my opinion.

Getting rid of Cov is crazy. He's a better keeper than Stone is currently. Surely it would have made more sense to loan out Aiden to gain more experience in a lower league! I don't buy this about DC not trusting him. He new what he was getting before signing him. Also all this about three sendings off last season, one was a pretty dodgy decision in a pre season friendly, ironically against Chesterfield which doesn't appear to have put them off signing him. As I've mentioned previously Gibbo remarked in an interview that Cov's style of play meant that Vale could play a more pressing game, which Aiden's game doesn't allow. I guess now that Gibbo's gone his opinions don't carry much wait! Stone made a couple of horrendous errors at Wembley especially from the free kick which lead to the goal  line clearance which could have lead to a much different outcome! I hope we don't go into this season with Stone as number one. If we do sign a new keeper, I hope he's a proper first choice and not another disaster like Thomas Holy!

14 minutes ago, boslemportvale91 said:

To be fair I remember some fans slating Conlon when he was named captain as he was too hot headed because he got a red in the past. 

Legge also. Can't remember which game it was but he got a red and certain fans were calling for him to be dropped for good as he wasn't reliable enough according to them 

Conlon got a red last season v Walsall.

Think the Legge one was Newport away during covid which ultimately cost us a point ?

Just now, darren1810 said:

Conlon got a red last season v Walsall.

Think the Legge one was Newport away during covid which ultimately cost us a point ?

That's the one. 

Every player is likely to get a red card or suspensions. League 1 &2 in a nutshell 

Unless it's Jason Talbot. Was it 4 red cards he got during his season with us ? Absolute nutter he was 

Have to assume a new goalkeeper is already signed. It goes without saying that it is a crucial position to get right.

I am relaxed about Stone starting as number 1 as I think he has shown a lot of potential, though I prefer Covolan for his better distribution and command of area. Having let Lucas go, I hope that means there is a new goalkeeper with those traits in the pipeline - I think it has a ripple effect on the way Vale press and the speed of transition from defence to attack, and I think a more assertive goalkeeper than Stone would help reduce last season's weakness against crosses from deep.

I suppose the fact Lucas is out on loan means he could be recalled if we need a Plan C... But have to hope it doesn't come to that.

Archived