Match Thread: Port Vale v Barrow

Fosse69

Let’s start another run against an in-form  Barrow, just in the top half of the table but only 2 pts less than us. MOTM hoodoo out of the way, lessons from Sutton to be absorbed, and a few changes in tactics and players to consider. 3 points are expected with the options available on our bench

It’s a big game now after yesterday as we need to learn the lessons of the aftermath of Tranmere last season and ideally need to get it out the system mentally very quickly.

Tricky test but at Vale Park we should be looking to win. We seem to have spells of real dominance and quality followed by spells of inviting pressure but need to try and really punish teams when we are on top.

Win here and yesterday is forgotten.

• Like 1

Normally i would say keep the same team. But Garrity and Wilson looked out of sorts yesterday, maybe Taylor could come in to midfield. Not sure what defensive changes we could make in the centre of defence given the injuries we have, (short of going 4 at the back of course, but I don’t think he’ll do that). Covolan may have to be concerned about his position too, I think the first goal despite the deflection is something he could have got to and obviously for their winner when a keeper comes into a crowded box then he has to make sure he’s either catches it or punches it clear. 

Edited by PV1973
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PV1973 said:

Normally i would say keep the same team. But Garrity and Wilson looked out of sorts yesterday, maybe Taylor could come in to midfield. Not sure what defensive changes we could make in the centre of defence given the injuries we have, (short of going 4 at the back of course, but I don’t think he’ll do that). Covolan may have to be concerned about his position too, I think the first goal despite the deflection is something he could have got to and obviously for their winner when a keeper comes into a crowded box then he has to make sure he’s either catches it or punches it clear. 

I think covolan has been good this season but I agree he should have done better with the fist goal despite the deflection 

4 hours ago, PV1973 said:

DC does indeed need to consider changes after yesterday and I think, given our injuries at present, a change in formation might well be called for, with four at the back. I've always had a preference for 433 and a front three of Amoo, Proctor and Politic, at least at some stage in the game, would certainly give Barrow something to think about. My guess is though that he'll keep the same side and trust that the lessons against Sutton will be well learned. We'll see.

UTV.

• Like 1

Personally I think we have to make changes, can’t collapse like that and not expect any reaction. 

I have absolutely no idea what the team would be, not been massively convinced by Johnson or Martin at CB, so maybe:

Stone

Gibbons-Smith-Jones-Amos

Conlon-Walker-Taylor/Garrity (depending on fitness)

Worrall-Proctor-Politic

I don’t think it will be anything like this as far too many changes btw.

28 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

Personally I think we have to make changes, can’t collapse like that and not expect any reaction. 

I have absolutely no idea what the team would be, not been massively convinced by Johnson or Martin at CB, so maybe:

Stone

Gibbons-Smith-Jones-Amos

Conlon-Walker-Taylor/Garrity (depending on fitness)

Worrall-Proctor-Politic

I don’t think it will be anything like this as far too many changes btw.

Fair enough BPV but I wouldn't leave Class out after his recent form and would go Gibbons/Cass/Smith/Jones. And if it's going to be a physical battle, I'd definitely hope Garrity is fit rather than Taylor who, while he is getting back to his previous excellent form, still isn't quite there. Of course, as you say, this ain't gonna happen!

I’m wondering if Garrity should have played yesterday, carrying a knock I reckon, needs to get over it properly. He’s the sort who’ll want to play even when he’s injured and maybe Clark has to protect him better than he protects himself.

I don't think Clarke will change the formation and he's probably right with sitting 4th in the table but would like to see a 4-3-3 formation for this game, I just want to see Worrall doing what he does best in this division and that is wide right or left in a 3 up top and not having to worry about the defensive responsibilties.  I also really would like us to give Politic a run out and not 15 mins at the end of the game and for me he it needs a switch of formation to accommodate him.  My team would be 

Covolan

Gibbons Cass Smith Jones

Pett Garrity Conlon

Worrall Proctor Politic 

Let us have another fast start but try and maintain it in the second, felt we started great in the majority of the games but seem to sit back in the second period and invite pressure on ourselves.  An important game as while sitting pretty where we are only 3 points above 14th and it would look an average start.  Not sure what to expect from Barrow but maybe with Mark Cooper he will be similar to as he was with Forest Green and like to play out from the back and if so I expect us to win the game by 2 goals.

Scunthorpe are the only side vale have played in the league this season that were in the bottom half of the table when we played them. This means we are playing sides when there in good form and barrow are another one in decent form. 

We were garbage at home to barrow last season so won't have to do much to perform better than last season's match at vale park. We must be due a penalty as we haven't had one as of yet this season. In fact I can't remember the last time we have been given a penalty. Hopefully we can keep it tight at the back and nick a 1 nil win.

Edited by Andy Proctor
Spelling mistake
  • Like 1

I’m worried about the injury situation myself. A lot of players playing with little injuries. If we’re not careful we’ll be down to the bare bones.

Not just because of yesterday, but also ^

Cov

Cass Martin Smith Jones

Pett Conlon Walker (if not fit Taylor)

Worrall Proctor Politic

Rest Gibbo, Garrity and Wilson, get Rodney involved.

8 hours ago, Coyney Valiant said:

he should have done better with the fist goal despite the deflection 

If he’d used his fist it wouldn’t have been a goal.

• Haha 1

I remember it was like a celebratory homecoming for Taylor when he signed permanently.

Chants of “Carol, sign him up, Carol Carol sign him up” every time he played while on loan.

Don’t write him off, it’s a midfield 5 competing.

6 goals conceded in two games time to try some different players so here's my team .

COVALAN 

Cass Amos Jones 

Worrall Walker Pett Garrity Gibbons 

Wilson Proctor 

IF Martin and Legge not ready try Amos back there all the goals conceded from crosses are where the middle defender is supposed be majority of the time he ain't there how did Worrall end up back there for the third yesterday ,who's supposed be leading at the  back .

Make changes let's not settle for mediocrity. 

Hard decisions need to be made .

UTV 

Edited by Breadwinner

So basically you just dropped the 2 stoke fans in the team? 😀

Conlon at left wing back in place of one of our best performers in Gibbo? A left back playing as the central (supposedly dominating) centre half?

Edited by PV1973

Can't help thinking we are all a little bit knee jerk. 

He's not going to make wholesale changes that's not his style ( apart from in the summer 😂 ) .

We've had a bad week defensively conceding 6 . 

We also must be up there for clean sheets so far. 

We are going to have hiccups it's how we respond and we certainly did that after Rochdale. 

Keep the faith. I'll take 6 points from the next 9 and that will see us still ticking over around the top 5 .

I'm quite happy with our position of course I was devastated trooping out of the ground on Saturday but all the stars aligned for Sutton that day , luck, officials, poor defending. 

If we only get one point from the next nine then I'd be concerned a bit. But 4th is more than acceptable. 

I'd actually play the same team if he sticks with the same formation.

Legge and Martin aren't fit . The only conundrum is does Walker come in but that negates attacking threat at home . 

Same team for me and put Sutton to bed by slapping Barrow who are actually only 2 points below us .

• Like 3