Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

Advert:

Interesting on Gordon.

The Walsall fans are banging on about how he is their reject... but the truth is he was offered a new deal 6 months ago and he rejected it and made it clear he wanted a new challenge.

Also interesting given it would have been DC that made the offer.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/walsall-fc/2021/05/13/exclusive-josh-gordon-rejected-new-walsall-deal-in-november/

Advert:

32 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Interesting on Gordon.

The Walsall fans are banging on about how he is their reject... but the truth is he was offered a new deal 6 months ago and he rejected it and made it clear he wanted a new challenge.

Also interesting given it would have been DC that made the offer.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/walsall-fc/2021/05/13/exclusive-josh-gordon-rejected-new-walsall-deal-in-november/

Maybe he didn't want to play for DC ?

1 minute ago, werstayinup said:

Maybe he didn't want to play for DC ?

I think the issue was post his knee injury. There was a lot of talk about what a good player he was and how derisory Burton's offer was in September.  There is a post on there forum from October saying how he was developing into a legend; ironically straight after his knee injury but before it was announced. He did spend a fair bit of the current season playing wide right, which would have contributed to a lowish goal return. That said I think its pretty clear his form dropped off a cliff when he got back into the side around Christmas. Football is a fickle game, last season when he was Player of the Year and until October this season he was considered their main attacking player. Adebayo then hit a run of form, Gordon got injured. Adebayo got sold and Gordon had a poor run in an underperforming side. Football fans the world over are fickle. Gordon in one season went from future club legend worth at least half a million to being a Northern Premier League player. My guess is he's a typical league 2 player, when he's on his game he looks like he could go higher; when he isn't he can look Sunday League. That's the magic of league 1 and 2 football.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advert:

Not sure how much truth is in it, but seems to be a fairly heavy rumour now with Gordon.

I think he would be a good signing. He's a good age & has plenty of promise. If DC can get him fit & hungry he could easily get back to the player being courted by team in higher divisions 12/18 months ago. My only concern would be the injury he sustained, it was a bad one.

I trust DC & Flickers to do the due diligence though. Would be a positive signing for me & better than what we've just got rid of.

Advert:

1 hour ago, JRC said:

To be fair to Clarke his budget will be largely unchanged so he isn't going shopping at Harrods. He's trying to bring in better players on the same money. 

The question should be is he the wheeling dealing genius he claims to be. He signed a whole new squad at Bristol Rovers BUT they would have had a massive budget compared to many teams when they dropped out of the league. He failed to do it at Walsall where his budget would have been ok for this league. 

Similarly he did get an improvement from our current squad. How much of that was down to being able to get our best 11 out for 7 or 8 games and how much was due to his managerial genius is a bit less clear. For 3 years we've looked a good side when Oyeleke, Conlon and Joyce particularly have been fit at the same time. He's made it clear he wants players like Gibbo, Smith and Conlon BUT again do a straw poll of which players from our team all managers in this league would take and those 3 and Rodney would be the ones most managers would choose. We'll have a clearer idea come Christmas. There have been plenty of positive signs but the guy is also a bit of a self publicist. Let's see where we are come late October and early November when it's his squad and there are no mitigating factors. Until then I think he deserves the benefit of any doubts we have. I think we also need some realism; the best dozen players in this league from clubs not promoted will all get picked up by league 1 clubs. The best 4 squads will all be in league 1 next year. 

Trawl back through OVF and there were lots of people saying not getting Maynard was a disaster.  Hindsight says the disaster was trying to get Maynard who scored 6 in 40 in all competitions meaning we had to sign Robinson (6 in 37). If we'd gone for our second choice, who was probably Jamille Matt, we'd have signed someone who scored 16 goals. Put 10 more goals in the current squad and we would have been in or around the play-offs. Matt came off the back of a poor season at Newport and only ever got double figure twice in 11 seasons of league football and got nowhere near in the other 9. So how inspired would we have been if Matt had rocked up in late July?

Good post, and I totally agree, 

DC did say that we had a good budget last season,  I therefore would believe it would be similar this season,  it suggests to me that we actually pay pay money, if we are for day 5/6 players less, then I would expect us to sign some better players 😉

As you rightly say,  I will judge DC on his squad come Christmas time 

• robf changed the title to Transfer rumours, targets & new signings