Match Thread: Port Vale v Stevenage

Rodney and Guthrie together is not enough of a goal threat. Rodney can hold the ball up and put himself about, so we don’t need 2 to do that. Swan has to play.

• Like 4

Advert:

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, Barrow and Grimsby have both won...but Mansfield and Colchester have both lost. Mansfield now been dragged into the mix. It's a useful point for us, tonight - not a good one, but useful. I'm not

I think some people need to give players a bit of time. Guthrie's had six games after being out in the cold for some time at Bradford. For me, he's still finding match sharpness but that will only com

First job was to stop leaking goals, we've done that tonight. That's a positive.

Posted Images

They beat us during Gannon's reign as manager. Griff scored an own goal from about 30 yards. They also beat us on a Good Friday when Guthrie played a blinder against us.
We've had a few draws as well, the one last season, the 2-2 draw in the snow when we came back from 2-0 down, another 2-2 draw just before Christmas in 2013, the FA cup match in 2009 when they were still non-league...

Sorry was referring to Cambridge in response to Andy’s post.

Stevenage we’ve never beaten at home in league football and only once overall! Have beaten them in the FA cup mind.

Do we start with Guthrie and if no joy switch to Swan in the 2nd half.  Feel the side will be set up better now.

Looking forward to another good game where we challenge them and look like we could win.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Breadwinner said:

Rodney can be the out ball roaming on all attacking positions,

Yes. I love the idea of a roaming Rodney just randomly running around terrifying their defenders. Think the 3-4-1-2 suits us too, especially if Monty is fit and Woz out. Without Woz all our midfield strength is in the centre, plus we want to deploy Monty and Gibbo as far up the pitch as possible. Crookes looks best suited to play left of a back 3, and it allows us to play 2 up top without weakening midfield, so all adds up for me.

Only changes for me are that the choice in the back 3 is between Mustapha and Legge in the middle, depends on if Mussy can handle two intense mens' games in 3 days. No disrespect to him, it's just a big ask given his level of experience. Perhaps same as yesterday with Legge replacing him an hour or so in, (optimistically to protect our lead?!).

Would also go Taylor in behind the strikers with Conlon alongside Joyce or Manny further back.

If Monty still not 100%, maybe Hurst LWB, with Monty to come on (along with Swan) after an hour? Nervous but excited about this one. 

(OK, mostly nervous.)

• Like 1

Advert:

Always hard to  pick  a team when you don't know the injury situation. I'd go from those likely fit

Brown

Gibbo Legge Smith Crookes

Joyce Conlon Taylor

Monty Woody Rodders

• Like 1

Interesting looking at the table, only Grimsby and Southend have lost more games than us, but we’ve actually won more games than 7 other teams have. Clear evidence to me that we need to be much harder to beat, so at least if we’re playing terribly we can take a point. Hopefully though tomorrow we’ll be taking all 3.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Santa said:

They beat us during Gannon's reign as manager. Griff scored an own goal from about 30 yards. They also beat us on a Good Friday when Guthrie played a blinder against us.

We've had a few draws as well, the one last season, the 2-2 draw in the snow when we came back from 2-0 down, another 2-2 draw just before Christmas in 2013, the FA cup match in 2009 when they were still non-league...

Ok mate? Keep up to speed

Advert:

This will be a tough game Stevenage have being getting some excellent results,they are strong in defence and have a goal threat.The Walsall keeper kept them at bay on Saturday,after a howler from the Stevenage keeper to give Walsall a goal.We will have to be at our best to get a result,whilst keeping a tab on Chris Lines.I would not be overly disappointed with a draw.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, tommytunstall said:

Would like to see Swanny given a run, but I am happy to leave it to DC.

Yes . so would I .I do agree . I  I do hope DC . Can get vale working . And it will be a had game tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Not sure to what extent Conlon had a poor game and how much it was the change of formation. Matching 3 in central midfield with a 2 meant he was really sitting in a holding role alongside Joyce. He's a lot better picking the ball up just inside the opposition half than sitting 10 metres infront of his own penalty area. Apart from a dog awful pass his play in a holding role was pretty steady but unspectacular; which is what you want if a player is playing as a holding midfield player.

We haven't drawn much this year,  as someone pointed out. It is a perennial problem in football that you spend preseason working on the faults of the previous season; only for the opposite fault to emerge during the new season. One of Foyle's season we pretty much won everything at home and lost away. They spent most of preseason working on shape for away games. We had a fantastic away record and were dire at home.

Advert:

20 hours ago, 1 said:

Rodney and Guthrie together is not enough of a goal threat. Rodney can hold the ball up and put himself about, so we don’t need 2 to do that. Swan has to play.

Rodney has shown he can't hold the ball up when playing up front which is why Guthrie was brought in.

A very interesting press conference like how he answers questions can see why he is successful .

Looking forwards to this team selection .

Certainly hope they play as they did for the 90 the way they did for 55 mins v L Orient while playing 4-4-2  ,were committed and good the only thing missing was a goal which should have come from Hurst along with the goal what did come .

Judging by what he is saying there certain players who are not fit enough ,I felt that as the game went on v L Orient that was indeed the case with 4 of the 11 struggling keep up .

Going be really tough but I know we have a manager who is doing everything he can get us winning games and I hope he does .

Be changes i feel going by the interview ,its good keep everyone guessing.what the teams going be .

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Breadwinner said:

A very interesting press conference like how he answers questions can see why he is successful .

Looking forwards to this team selection .

Certainly hope they play as they did for the 90 the way they did for 55 mins v L Orient while playing 4-4-2  ,were committed and good the only thing missing was a goal which should have come from Hurst along with the goal what did come .

Judging by what he is saying there certain players who are not fit enough ,I felt that as the game went on v L Orient that was indeed the case with 4 of the 11 struggling keep up .

Going be really tough but I know we have a manager who is doing everything he can get us winning games and I hope he does .

Be changes i feel going by the interview ,its good keep everyone guessing.what the teams going be .

I do agree with most of this but a lot of new managers come out with the "fitness" comments

Edited by ginge
  • Like 1