Match Thread: Port Vale v Stevenage

10 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

What i like is how Walsall fans said he wont let them know about injuries etc yet he explains why clearly here and it makes so much sense,i mean why would you let an opposing team know that Worrall or anyone else wont be fit for the game... i really like how he comes across during interviews tbh

Makes sense. I have never understood why managers mention injuries or team selections in advance of the game. Keep them guessing, no doubt Stevenage will be planning to play against Worrall, whether he plays or not this could now be a good advantage for us just by keeping quiet

• Like 2

Advert:

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, Barrow and Grimsby have both won...but Mansfield and Colchester have both lost. Mansfield now been dragged into the mix. It's a useful point for us, tonight - not a good one, but useful. I'm not

I think some people need to give players a bit of time. Guthrie's had six games after being out in the cold for some time at Bradford. For me, he's still finding match sharpness but that will only com

First job was to stop leaking goals, we've done that tonight. That's a positive.

Posted Images

Don't think Guthrie is anywhere near as bad as some are making out on here. 

Fancy 3 pts and a solid victory tonight. 2 or 3 goal win. 

Edited by WV
  • Like 8

5 hours ago, robf said:

I think some people need to give players a bit of time. Guthrie's had six games after being out in the cold for some time at Bradford. For me, he's still finding match sharpness but that will only come through playing.

It's no hard and fast rule but I would judge someone ten games or so into their Vale career. If you look at Rodney for instance, ten games in he had just one goal. But he then scored four in his next ten appearances.

That's probably down to a load of things - match sharpness, getting to know his teammates better after playing games with them, confidence in being in the first XI etc. 

For me, I would start with Guthrie but I'd perhaps consider 20-30 mins as a sub for Swan as well.

I Do agree .. 

33 minutes ago, WV said:

Really hope we win , as that will make Saturdays draw at Orient a good point. Lose tonight and it doesnt look so  great.

My concern with Guthrie is that he reminds me of far too many of the strikers we have had in the past, play in that position but dont score. Hear whats been said elsewhere that his workrate is good but strikers really are judged on the goals scored column, thats their primary job. Tyler B quoted his record and to be honest he isnt a decent goalscorer, thats fact not opinion. Interesting that when he left Bradford their fans forum were unanimous in saying they were glad to see him go. Its unusual from reading our own forum for fans to agree on anything. Says alot when they do.

Worrying that they all thought he was bad,

• Like 1

I'm hearing from my sauce (daddy's or heinz) this is the team news tonight .

Scott ,Mills, Campbel Gordon Legge Mustaphe Whitehead Burgess Oyeleke Bailey Swann Montano 

Freshening it up a bit .

In other news I wish I knew the team any inside knowledge anyone 

• Haha 1

Advert:

Worried about tonight’s game. Stevenage have signed well and their form has picked up since we played them. I’d be happy with a draw. Obviously we need a win, but don’t feel it will come from a Stevenage team that has confidence. 

5 hours ago, robf said:

I think some people need to give players a bit of time. Guthrie's had six games after being out in the cold for some time at Bradford. For me, he's still finding match sharpness but that will only come through playing.

It's no hard and fast rule but I would judge someone ten games or so into their Vale career. If you look at Rodney for instance, ten games in he had just one goal. But he then scored four in his next ten appearances.

That's probably down to a load of things - match sharpness, getting to know his teammates better after playing games with them, confidence in being in the first XI etc. 

For me, I would start with Guthrie but I'd perhaps consider 20-30 mins as a sub for Swan as well.

The difference I think Rob is from his first game you could see Rodney offered something, pace , strength even though he was raw. If you put Guthries  goalscoring record at Bradford to one side, which was poor, I dont see the same qualities. When he loses the ball his first thought isnt to go and win it back, its not even his second thought. He gets shrugged off the ball too easily and doesnt seem to have the urge to bust a gut to get into the box or the natural instinct to be in the right place at the right time. These points would not matter if he scored goals, but his record says he doesnt and perhaps these are the reasons why.

I have seen alot of strikers in my time down the Vale ,for every good one there has been 9 not so good. As the UB40 song goes, dont see Guthrie been the 1 in 10. I have no Vendetta against the guy just my personal opinion for what its worth. Would genuinely love the guy to score a hat full and prove me wrong , and will happily change my opinion . Equally would be surprised if that happens.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, The man in the pub said:

The difference I think Rob is from his first game you could see Rodney offered something, pace , strength even though he was raw. If you put Guthries  goalscoring record at Bradford to one side, which was poor, I dont see the same qualities. When he loses the ball his first thought isnt to go and win it back, its not even his second thought. He gets shrugged off the ball too easily and doesnt seem to have the urge to bust a gut to get into the box or the natural instinct to be in the right place at the right time. These points would not matter if he scored goals, but his record says he doesnt and perhaps these are the reasons why.

I have seen alot of strikers in my time down the Vale ,for every good one there has been 9 not so good. As the UB40 song goes, dont see Guthrie been the 1 in 10. I have no Vendetta against the guy just my personal opinion for what its worth. Would genuinely love the guy to score a hat full and prove me wrong , and will happily change my opinion . Equally would be surprised if that happens.

12 minutes ago, The man in the pub said:

Yes . I do see what you mean . I would love too see Guthrie score a Lot of Goals too . I just wish Guthrie could put him self about a Lot more . He Never seems to be 100pc in the game . (( Come on the Vale )). A Good win tonight . Will just get started.. 3 points please. . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WV said:

He has 0 goals and as far as I'm aware, 0 assists. In what, 6 games for us now? League Two or not, some people's expectations of a player here are shockingly low.

That said, I'd love him to bag a brace this evening and win the game for us, that should go without saying.

Edited by TylerB

Advert:

14 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

He scored 14 league goals for Stevenage 2 seasons ago. Doesn't that count?

What matters for every single player is the now. Not what happened two years ago. If your basing it off that surely you would look at last year before 2 years ago? Just matters what he and others do for vale 

33 minutes ago, TylerB said:

He has 0 goals and as far as I'm aware, 0 assists. In what, 6 games for us now? League Two or not, some people's expectations of a player here are shockingly low.

That said, I'd love him to bag a brace this evening and win the game for us, that should go without saying.

We haven't exactly been banging them in as a team though have we. In the one game we did he played very well and deserved at least a goal. How many goals did Pope score for us in his first 6 games? It might very well not work out for him and us but I think we should give him more than 6 games where we have been pretty awful before we judge him or write him off. 

And let's not forget that we have had strikers who literally broken records and fans moaned on here and in the ground. Leon Constantine anyone?

If the manager thinks he is good enough then that will do for me. 

Edited by WV

Advert:

As expected, no Wozza but nevertheless a very attack-looking side. Looking forward to seeing Swann and Rodney together. And strength at the back with Leon in the centre.

C'mon the Vale, we can win this!

• Like 1