Match Thread: Newport County v Port Vale

Can't shout? Bloody hell, your missus is strict

I've only missed one of these games due to being away. Have to say it's a God awful way to follow your club. I've missed less than a dozen home games since 1971 but this shizz is killing me. can't shout, can't help to influence the game and encourage the team. Maybe our players should gang up on an inexperienced ref in the tunnel at half time and get him to level the game up?! certainly we'd be a big help when teams come to park the bus like two out of the last three dire results. how do these premiership plastic fans find any enjoyment in 'following their team' in this mode because they do this every year! our last game at cheltenham seems so long ago to me. a pint inn the sally army club outside the ground? give it to me now.
can we expect free access to the game or have the EFL forgotten their promise? do we get a voucher code? does anyone know please? i have much alcohol planned on my PC desk. will I have to give them clowns a tenner as well for this one?
  • Like 1

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The usual over reaction on here We had plenty of chances today and yes we struggle to put them away but for me it was an improvement on Tuesdays game and an attacking set up from Askey when we could

Facts We have lost three league games on the bounce each by a single goal despite playing a considerable time with ten men in two of the games. We still sit just outside the play offs in 9th. So

THIS ISN'T AN ASKEY OUT POST BUT I AM GOING TO BE CRITICAL.  Sick and tired of this football club. The evidence is fairly irrefutable that John Askey's Port Vale concede in the last minute a

Posted Images

I've only missed one of these games due to being away. Have to say it's a God awful way to follow your club. I've missed less than a dozen home games since 1971 but this shizz is killing me. can't shout, can't help to influence the game and encourage the team. Maybe our players should gang up on an inexperienced ref in the tunnel at half time and get him to level the game up?! certainly we'd be a big help when teams come to park the bus like two out of the last three dire results. how do these premiership plastic fans find any enjoyment in 'following their team' in this mode because they do this every year! our last game at cheltenham seems so long ago to me. a pint inn the sally army club outside the ground? give it to me now.
can we expect free access to the game or have the EFL forgotten their promise? do we get a voucher code? does anyone know please? i have much alcohol planned on my PC desk. will I have to give them clowns a tenner as well for this one?
Christ I was shouting loads. Certainly for tranmere (H)

On 18/11/2020 at 14:16, theresonlyonemcphee said:

That 4231 you propose worked really well last night.

The issue is we need to get someone closer to whoever is the 1 up front, If Pope is there and gets a ball from, lets say Conlon, the chances are that Burgess and Conlon will be so far away from Tom that any knockdown or hold up if pointless. We need to be able to link up higher up the pitch. That will allow up to hopefully start creating from open play again within shooting distance not on the halfway line. (A fair % of our goals have come from set plays), which is a concern.

I have faith in the management and I think they know we need to adapt, the interviews suggest that.

We didnt start 4231 btw but thats not an issue, UTV 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, philmpv said:

can we expect free access to the game or have the EFL forgotten their promise? do we get a voucher code? does anyone know please

Free code to the match emailed by EFL digital 29th October. I think it was sent to anyone who purchased the match against Cheltenham and ST holders.

Sorry philmpv copied the wrong quote which was meant to reply to Jamo and didn't know how to fix it.

Edited by MBE

3 hours ago, JAMO-IN-MEXICO said:

can we expect free access to the game or have the EFL forgotten their promise? do we get a voucher code? does anyone know please?

3 minutes ago, MBE said:

Free code to the match emailed by EFL digital 29th October. I think it was sent to anyone who purchased the match against Cheltenham and ST holders.

Advert:

Tough game and I’m not really expecting a lot. They will score for certain, so we might as well give it a go and make it an entertaining game. 

For what it’s worth, I’d go with the below. We might get taken apart, but we need to find a way of trying to score more goals. 

Brown

Clark Smith Legge Monty

Manny  Conlon

Amoo   McKirdy   Worrall

Rodney 

Let’s hope the footballing gods are smiling on us on Saturday and we can get back on track. The Vale fans deserve a bit of cheer after the last few weeks. 

Love the look of that 11

Tough game and I’m not really expecting a lot. They will score for certain, so we might as well give it a go and make it an entertaining game. 
For what it’s worth, I’d go with the below. We might get taken apart, but we need to find a way of trying to score more goals. 

Brown
Clark Smith Legge Monty
         Manny  Conlon
 Amoo   McKirdy   Worrall
              Rodney 
Let’s hope the footballing gods are smiling on us on Saturday and we can get back on track. The Vale fans deserve a bit of cheer after the last few weeks. 
  • Like 1

Speak to our ticket office. They sorted me out as I hadn't recieved either.

6 hours ago, JAMO-IN-MEXICO said:

I think it doesn't help that we only see a single camera view of the game. Premiership games use lots of cameras so that you get to see several different angles. Still not the same as being there though...

I think it doesn't help that we only see a single camera view of the game. Premiership games use lots of cameras so that you get to see several different angles. Still not the same as being there though...
To be fair, with some of our players, a static camera is all that's needed!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Advert:

Brown

Clark
Legge
Smith
Fitzpatrick

Oyeleke
Burgess
Conlon

Amoo
Pope
Worrall

Subs: Visser, Brisley, Montano, Whitehead, Rodney, McKirdy, Robinson

I’m not sure there will be a change of system, or widespread personnel changes... Wouldn’t be too surprised or disappointed if Monty and Rodney get the nod ahead of Fitz and Pope.

Edited by theresonlyonemcphee

What about:

brown

clark smith bris Fitz/monty

Manny

amoo mckirdy/burgess colon wozza

take your pick?

this is what we should be doing when attacking. Need to ‘flood’ the final third more when it’s necessary. Especially when teams park the bus. More movement(sounds easy but not always to some players) around the box etc.

Advert:

Askey seems insistent that we're playing well and are just being unlucky. I think that's fair defensively (two wonder goals in two games, but we've been lucky in previously with Brown being on fire), but going forward I think we're getting what we deserve; very little.

He mentions in his press conference that we moved the ball well, which we did until the final third of the pitch. After that, we saw overhit crosses, poor final passes, and a safety first mentality of returning the ball backwards, yielding a semi circle of un-penetrative recycling which looks lovely but achieves very little if you need a goal.

The 'eye test' of Vale being an average attacking side is backed up by the data analysis, which has us pegged as the 16th best side for creating chances in League 2. Scott Brown performing heroics from close range has kept our goals conceded rate down, but that is now coming back to bite us as two wonder goals do us in. Good teams create good chances, and let the whimsical nature of luck sort out the rest. We, in my view, haven't done that enough.

This team needs to start creating more open play chances, ASAP. In my view a midfield of Manny and Conlon, with McKirdy right off the striker, is the way to go. Robinson is the best player for link up play, but if he starts then Amoo/Worrall/McKirdy need to get beyond him often and regularly. 

This is a game in which there will be space to get in behind on the break, and they love to pass the ball out (employing a midfielder in a 3 man back line), so lots of opportunities for our very decent press. Therefore, we're probably more suited to tomorrow's game than we are to a low-block side ala Scunthorpe and Morecambe.

However, based on Askey's comments, he seems satisfied with a 433 with a 6 and two 8s in the middle. We'll probably see the same side as Tuesday + Monty for Crookes and Pope for Cullen.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 1