onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Tranmere Rovers

Fosse69

Some very bad decisions from the ref today, but Joyce cost us the game with a very stupid challenge, with 11 players I'm sure we would have won, yes tranmere were having alot of possession but we were coping OK. The 10 men didn't do so badly it was just the last 6 minutes where the ref got that from god knows. Win on Tuesday and we move back up to joint 3rd so let's not be to down beat long way to go yet and we are in the mix

Advert

A couple of years ago, I was on holiday in Gran Canaria and at the hotel bar one night I got chatting to a Grimsby Town fan. The conversation inevitably Turned to that game at Vale Park in the mid 70s where the Mariners surrendered a 3 nil lead to lose 4:3 to an incredible late Vale comeback. He told me that haunts him about once a week now. Sometimes once a fortnight if he's in a good space. So, chin up, it will get better. UTV

19 minutes ago, Norfolk Enclue said:

A couple of years ago, I was on holiday in Gran Canaria and at the hotel bar one night I got chatting to a Grimsby Town fan. The conversation inevitably Turned to that game at Vale Park in the mid 70s where the Mariners surrendered a 3 nil lead to lose 4:3 to an incredible late Vale comeback. He told me that haunts him about once a week now. Sometimes once a fortnight if he's in a good space. So, chin up, it will get better. UTV

Anyone who's watched, or played, any football will have seen these games.  I always refer back to the QPR game in '97, which we didn't lose but hurt me like hell,  and still does, far worse than todays result in fact.

28 minutes ago, CAVALIER said:

Why not use a sub in injury time like every other club does. Surely we have enough coaches now to sort that one out?

The thing is you can bring a sub on and the ref can just add more time.  Swings 'n' roundabouts. The guy hit a killer shot for the winner.  Best just to move on.

VFIDG

The Pope substitution was totally correct. Fresher legs to harass their back line. I called that as soon as Joyce saw red. 

Some of your other points are very valid .

I dislike picking on individuals but here goes ......who has recently convinced Legge that he is a footballing centre half ? His risky dribbling and passing is not doing my heart rate any good. 

He is a colossus at proper defending, heading, tackling, clearing. Someone needs to have a word and stop taking chances. 

12 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

The Pope substitution was totally correct. Fresher legs to harass their back line. I called that as soon as Joyce saw red.

The Joyce red should have brought forward Pope's substitution by a few minutes. It didn't and during that time we conceded the first goal.

What really annoys me with the referee's in general is when they feel they have made a mistake, in this case the penalty why they can't just block it off take a breath and ref as normal instead of try to even up the decision. The game just spiralled out of control both teams had goals disallowed that looked ok. It seemed to me that the Tranmere team as a whole had been told to put him under pressure to even the score. Having said that we were 2 0 to the good and did not see the game out well, i know its annoying when other teams do it but we don't fall over enough and buy fouls to break the game up.

Its poor we haven't seen that out for at least a point, but really it should be 3.

I dont thinks it's a sending off. I dont think it was dangerous, but I suppose in this day and age you're on dodgy ground if you make that tackle. Hes just a bit late, a little high. Book him and move on.

The team bottled it for me after that decision. We conceded 5 in the second half.

Pope should of been hooked straight away and manny put in to Joyce position to hold.

27 minutes ago, Santa said:

The Joyce red should have brought forward Pope's substitution by a few minutes. It didn't and during that time we conceded the first goal.

Yes that's true. 

I'm as angry as anyone and I'm not defending some of the decisions made / or not made .

For me now in hindsight because we were camped in our own half Brisley as an extra defender was the call going into injury time. 

However had he done that and we still lost it would of been seen as negative and inviting pressure by posters. 

Midfield was an issue all game as they bossed it , so to have Manny charging up the left wing like a headless chicken was rather baffling. 

We've just got to draw a line under it I guess but we have already lost 4 now having only lost 8 in 37 last season. 

What is very worrying is that many folk called the defeat from about 60 minute mark, is that a sign of a team of weak character ? 

We proved against Chesterfield and Northampton in recent seasons that going down to 10 men does not mean capitulation. 

50 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

What is very worrying is that many folk called the defeat from about 60 minute mark, is that a sign of a team of weak character ? 

Even though we did go on to lose its another sign of Vale fans being inherently negative most of the time. 

Anyone hoping that yesterday was a bad dream I’d urge you not to look at the highlights as the goals conceded look even worse today.

How on earth did Vaughan get between Smith and Crookes for the first? The penalty.... it was as much a penalty as ours was, but why why why did Legge feel he needed to lift his leg up?? And even allowing for Smiths awful header, how on Earth has their guy managed to score from that angle?? Goalkeeping error for me that. The last goal, again, great strike but given all the time in the world.

As @Joe Bsaid red cards are part and parcel of the game and there are teams that would have shut up shop and seen that out 2-0.

If Kings Lynn had had a man sent off immediately after they’d scored, how many of you think we’d have scored twice to win the game??? No, me neither.

Yet we collapse like a deck of cards and concede 4 times. That and the manor of the goals conceded - two after the 90th minute - are the big concerns for me.

And Askey is at least as culpable because he had an unused substitution and if nothing else it would have wasted 30 secs or so to give people chance to get organised.

I’m looking for a win on Tuesday but I also have a sneaking feeling we’re going to come unstuck again.

I’d risk Manny in place of Joyce I think.

Archived