Match Thread: Port Vale v Tranmere Rovers

High expectations with the run of home fixtures coming up. Tranmere have struggled with their rapid relegation coming after successive promotions. But pulled off a win at Harrogate and knocked out Accrington so maybe an upturn of form.  Plenty of options from the U21 Reds game for Askey to think about. Cullen, Hurst, McKirdy (If not injured), and Oyeleke.  Use the impetus from the run-out against the U21 Reds to pick up the points with a 2-0 win.

• Like 1

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't know if its because we're in lockdown or vale fans can't go to the games but whenever vale lose lately it brings out the worse aggression in some fans. Which is really disappointing.  Not j

Re that QPR game - another one influenced by incompetent officials who failed to give Tony Naylor's fifth goal when the ball had crossed the line!!

Mate, you’ve made four posts since January and each one has been demanding Askey is sacked. I’d see a doctor about this obsession if I was you. 

For me, whenever he's fit, manny MUST start at home, where the onus is on us to create chances, preferably in place of Joyce. I'd also consider starting Cullen up top so we've more chance of getting in behind like we did last night. Mckirdy is a strange one. Looked mint last night, and his ability to run at players is welcome, but who would make way for him?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, greengrass said:

Last night just proved that we have a squad of players who are all of similar standard,it's just a case of finding the correct blend,(not the easiest of tasks) when there are is so much inconsistency .

That is the difficulty, different blends for home and away, and against attacking teams and stonewallers. Players take time to settle in and force their way into the team.  Form comes and goes in the lower divisions. But it is the same for the other teams as well, just have to persevere as we did last season.

Some valid points I think.

What we badly need is a bit more flair and drive in the final third.

With that in mind I'd certainly look at the likes of McKirdy, Oyeleke & Monty for a place in the team. Could Worrall drop into midfield? Monty can certainly play left back, despite his occasional errors there.

The centre forward's position is the most contentious. Robinson has the best all round qualities but often looks uninspiring, though he has scored a few goals don't forget. Cullen is the most mobile. Pope the best header of the ball and at holding it up and being a physical nuisance. So who gets that shirt, I suppose, depends on the opposition and current form in games and in training. If we can get plenty of crosses into the box Pope is the man. If we want to build up play through midfield then Cullen and Robinson are more mobile and can run the channels. 

I don't think we've yet solved that problem and we're 1/4 way through the campaign. 

I'm not necessarily advocating Pope because he is no longer the quickest. We know that. But unless he plays I often think we struggle to hold up the ball and keep possession. We are a bit powder puff without his presence.

Saturday's team sheet will be interesting.

Advert:

Big game, win this and we go into the Scunthorpe game knowing a win would push us into the top 3 ahead of a huge trip to Newport.

Could be a huge 7 days for us here. Tranmere have improved the past two games, if by luck or a change under the caretaker who knows but won’t be as easy as it looked a couple of weeks ago. 4 points from the 2 home games wouldn’t be the end of the world.

Manny if fit should come in, maybe for Burgess? Conlon to push on and Joyce to ping it around but could go any 3 of them 4 really.

Cullen may be better to start, if they’ve still got Monthe walloping high balls to Pope wont be ideal as he is even more of a beast than Leggey!

Think we will draw 1-1

I think this will be a tough game. Since the manager has gone tranmere have won a couple of games and seem to be improving each game.

Khan and the experienced duo of Spearing &Vaughan will be a threat. 

I'd personally start with Pope Saturday especially against Ex loanee Clarke at the back who is very experienced and very strong. 

I've never understood the logic behind 'oh they've got big lumps at the back so we need a big lump too'. Surely the way to beat a team with a defence like that is to play on the floor, get in behind and do them that way, rather than expecting pope to win an aerial battle with the 2 lumps. Wasn't it tranmere a couple of seasons ago where their 87 year old lump had pope in his back pocket all game after all?

• Like 2

Advert:

2 minutes ago, philmpv said:

I've never understood the logic behind 'oh they've got big lumps at the back so we need a big lump too'. Surely the way to beat a team with a defence like that is to play on the floor, get in behind and do them that way, rather than expecting pope to win an aerial battle with the 2 lumps. Wasn't it tranmere a couple of seasons ago where their 87 year old lump had pope in his back pocket all game after all?

The problem is Askey plays the hoof ball against these big units at the back. The issue with starting Cullen is he barely gets a touch of the ball and just constantly chasing the ball until he is subbed same happened at Morecambe/Harrogate. Theo struggled against the same back four when Vale played them in the cup back in August. 

Tough selection issues! Wouldn’t want to be Askey for this one, just hope we don’t experiment with 442 on Saturday as it leaves us wide open.

Wouldn’t mess with the defence too much - Brown, Clark, Legge, Smith + Monty or Fitz but the latter probably hasn’t trained much.

Thought Manny looked class last night and would throw him straight in, but for who? Thought Joyce was poor last Saturday...

Up front I think Cullen did enough last night to earn a start on Saturday. Worrall for his creativity then probably Amoo just ahead of Rodney. Then throw Rodney/Pope on after 55/60 mins if it’s not working.

• Like 1

Going to be interesting what askey does, we have won 3 out of 3 in the league even though the same 11 lost against Kings Llynn will he make changes or trust them to get back to winning ways. Cullen and mckirdy did great Tuesday, manny might be rested for Tuesday night against scunthorpe.

Advert:

On 11/11/2020 at 18:46, boslemportvale91 said:

The problem is Askey plays the hoof ball against these big units at the back. The issue with starting Cullen is he barely gets a touch of the ball and just constantly chasing the ball until he is subbed same happened at Morecambe/Harrogate. Theo struggled against the same back four when Vale played them in the cup back in August. 

To me the Cullen issue is only away.

We have played well on numerous occasions with Cullen on his own in home games.

I agree with the previous poster that watching a Monthe/Pope lumpathon won't be fun 

Pope is ideal away to hold the ball up or if a home game is drifting with it not sticking but ideally get Cullen up front from the start for me.

Theo hasn’t really got going yet but think we’ve got to be prepared to go horses for courses at times rather than sticking the same XI after a win.

• Like 3