onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Tranmere Rovers

Fosse69

8 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

“Just part of the game”? “Lie back and lose”? Hell man the sending off completely altered the game.  Tranmere were already dominating position up until that point but we’d pretty much contained them to a couple of dangerous crosses and the odd free kick.  We’d had a lot of joy with our high press first half but with 10 men we could no longer play that game, so Tranmere had more and more of the ball.  We got pushed back.

After the sending off we’re trying to press when the ball entered our half and play them on the break, and it nearly paid off.  Unfortunately we tire as the game wears on as we constantly chase the ball.  Bingo.  And all that is without factoring in the ref, but for me the sending off was as clear as it gets.

In fairness, their last goal was worthy of winning any game.

Sorry Ray i was agreeing with you to a previous post. He was sent off and we had to deal with it. We nearly did but we didnt.

Advert

40 minutes ago, Inny said:

Play him through the middle.

On Tuesday I would be tempted to try Conlon and Oyeleke in the centre of midfield and McKirdy in front of them. I think Harry is the closest thing we have to a player who can play in the number 10 position.

If we only play one centre forward then we do need someone doing  No. 10 things. Yatesy also said it in the podcast the other week.

Do I think Askey would dream of doing this? No.

A strange one.

A win in 3 days, and we're up to 4th, despite two embarrassments in 7 days and not really playing excellently in any game bar Southend this season.

League is there for the taking. We not going to take it if we contrive to shoot ourselves in the foot on a weekly basis in the manner in which we are currently.

Having a man sent off, which occurs all the time in football, should not warrant a 4 goal collapse, two of which occurred post 90. We still can't shake this habit of conceding late on, usually a result of individual errors as the pressure mounts. Something is missing. We're not going to get promoted if this continues. 

The ref was awful, but was awful for both sides; result in on the players today, for me. I (and Askey) though the red was a red, and then a contentious penalty each means you're looking at the players on the pitch.

Regardless, a win on Tuesday sets things right, but it'll be irritating considering we'd be near top if we were anywhere near competent today.

3 minutes ago, Joe B said:

A strange one.

A win in 3 days, and we're up to 4th, despite two embarrassments in 7 days and not really playing excellently in any game bar Southend this season.

League is there for the taking. We not going to take it if we contrive to shoot ourselves in the foot on a weekly basis in the manner in which we are currently.

Having a man sent off, which occurs all the time in football, should not warrant a 4 goal collapse, two of which occurred post 90. We still can't shake this habit of conceding late on, usually a result of individual errors as the pressure mounts. Something is missing. We're not going to get promoted if this continues. 

The ref was awful, but was awful for both sides; result in on the players today, for me. I (and Askey) though the red was a red, and then a contentious penalty each means you're looking at the players on the pitch.

Regardless, a win on Tuesday sets things right, but it'll be irritating considering we'd be near top if we were anywhere near competent today.

The something thats missing in my opinion is, I feel if we could improve on our retention and not give it away so cheaply, then we could keep the pressure on, the ball is a bit of a pinball at times.

I also feel that Askey might have used his subs better to close the game down.

44 minutes ago, rider1308 said:

Wacko 51, jacko 51 tacko 51 who cares  !!!! You accepted mediocrity.  I don’t !!!! Ps why don’t you change it to sacko 51, as it’s just around the corner !!!!! 

In your case it’s not round the corner, it’s round the bend!

13 minutes ago, Joe B said:

To be fair though Joe I think you've got to give credit to Tranmere, who were decent prior to the sending off, and watching the game I fancied them to score at some point.  The posession stats were something like 60:40 in their favour at the end of the first half so once we went down to 10 it was always going to be difficult.  We just ran out of steam today and inevitably more and more mistakes crept in.  As you say, individual errors as the pressure mounts.  In some games we've given late goals away due to bad "game management" with 11 men but obviously it's much harder to manage the game  when you're down to 10.

35 minutes ago, Joe B said:

A strange one.

Agree. As I said on another post, as soon as the red card was out of his pocket that was the 3 points gone in my mind. We were never in a million years going to keep a clean sheet. 

But as you rightly say, for al the praise heaped on our defence this year, we have a really soft underbelly and the tendency to concede last goals is driving many people mad. It’s following on from last year, when the number of points we’d tossed away in the dying embers of the 1st / 2nd half was criminal. And lo and behold we miss out on the play-offs by one solitary point. Just hope these two dropped points aren’t as costly.

And if it’s purely a fitness thing, then why not make the third sub (surely Brisley?) today.

I do actually think Brisley needs to come in, possibly to give Legge a rest as he’s not getting any younger. 

In the first half Brown didn’t make a save. They had a lot of the ball but weren’t really creating chances. That changed when we went down to 10 men.

Joe, in addition to the red card Askey also said our pen was a deffo and their’s wasn’t a pen. Do you agree with him?

I know everyone is angry straight after the game with what went on, but just a few little observations I had.

Our first I thought was won by Conlon rather than being a foul. 

Second goal was a perfect routine, just watch the blocking going at the back post to free up Amoo. Brilliant.

Joyce has gone in shin high studs up, that’s red by the letter of the law. If that had been on us we’d have been sure it was a red. He let us down massively. 

Their first comes from Clark losing the ball, which he did a lot today and they were in behind him. There was a definite hand on Popey, not sure if he made the most of that as I’ve not seen it back, but you’d expect to get a free kick there. From then Crookes has let his man get in front of him and Smith arguably hasn’t got close enough to the front post to cut it out. 

No idea why their second was disallowed, but according to Sproson it was great work by Crookes 🙂

Couldn’t see much of their peno from the camera angle, it looks like Legge has blocked the shot and their lad kicks him? I think it was a harsh decision. 

Good header from Rodney for our third, other than that he did nowt. Great delivery from Worrall too. 

Third was a poor clearance from a Clark initially but I don’t think there was much he could do about that, Smiths tried win the header and only glanced it, Crookes had to  come narrow with his man but Worrall is nowhere near his man at the back post. That’s why Worrall was back that far to track him and he didn’t. 

Their fourth is a great strike, but maybe our midfielders shouldn’t have gone so deep and that’s left him with acres to get a shot away. 

No doubt the red is the turning point, personally I don’t think we can complain too much about that. If we won an appeal I’d be amazed. Despite us being 2-0 up at that point they looked a good footballing side to me, but even so they weren’t creating many chances. It might sound strange but even at 2-0 I thought we were offering very little threat. Our full backs offered nothing and our wingers were hardly in the game. They seemed to have a plan of keeping their left winger high to play in behind Clark, and given the amount of times he gave it away they managed to get behind on a few occasions. Unfortunately one of them lead to the goal. Our midfield couldn’t really control the tempo, I think Spearing is a quality player for them, Burgess and Conlon gradually drifted out of the game. But even having said all that, I genuinely thought we’d go on to win until Joyce saw red as I didn’t see them scoring. Like I said the red changed it all. I think there’s plenty to digest and review from that game, there’s a lot that both full backs can learn from that in particular. TBH Crookes should be 4th choice left back when everyone is fit. Granted it’s hard when you have ten men, but there were situations both when we had 11 and when we had 10 men where I feel we could have done better and made better decisions.  A disappointing day to say the least. 

We made Tranmere look far better than they actually are. They're a decent side with a few good players but they're not as good as a couple of other sides we've already played this season. Even down to 10 men, we should not be conceding four goals in what, 40 minutes or so? We've all praised our defence this season and at the back end of last but they were all miles off it today. Legge needs a rest and Crookes, although he wasn't as bad as anyone else today, is simply not got enough for any side wanting out of this toxic league. Joyce let us down big time today and I don't think he's been anything more than average this season. But we don't really have a like for like player, someone to play that holding role. With that in mind I'd go 4-4-1-1 against Scunthorpe, and let them worry about what we can actually do if we're at it.

Brown

Clark

Brisley

Smith

Montano

Worrall

Oyeleke

Burgess

Amoo

McKirdy

Cullen

If we keep playing the same formation with largely the same players, teams will suss us out big time.

Archived