Match Thread: Southend United v Port Vale

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So our leading scorer has scored twice and narrowly missed a hat-trick, we are bossing the game, and about to go 5th in the league with 3 wins on the bounce after a tricky away game at the bottom team

My birthday too. All the best👍

A pleasing result, a professional team performance, a win on the road and a clean sheet. It would have been easy to slip up and be complacent; although Southend are on a wretched run, even a blin

Just had my email from Vale to confirm I have got free access to Southend game on ifollow. Thanks Vale for doing what you could to "appease" those fans that had such a terrible experience on Saturday for the Cheltenham match.

Do you mean free access to the Newport game?
  • Like 1

Just found this clip of Southend's new attacking midfielder, James Oyalinka, on loan from Arsenal:
https://www.planetfootball.com/videos/watch-arsenal-youngster-james-olayinka-scores-screamer/
Hope we don't give him space like that, he has a real shot on him!
Just hope if he is a Defoe arriving at Bournemouth, he takes a week or two to settle in.

Lets hope we pick up where we left of the last away game. I would love Vale approach this game like we are the home side and really attack, gamble getting players in the box.If we score the early goal then I can only see one winner in this.

My only concern is we think we just turn up and they will roll over.. not going to happen in this league!!  If we are at it then I could see 3 or 4 goals from us tomorrow. 

Same team again for me pending injuries now we have our 12th man Mo Mentum 

• Like 2

Don't think I've ever seen the Vale @ 8/13 for an AWAY League win before....

It makes me uneasy! Southend as much as 4/1 easy win surely but this is Vale... this game will tell us more about our seasons destiny than the Cheltenham one. If we can comfortably see these off added to the Oldham result it may suggest our record against the bottom sides is for once to be better this season.

On 29/10/2020 at 19:28, LancyTony said:

I've a feeling this Vale team will be comfortable in this game. Hoping for 2 or 3 - 0!! 

It’s Vale and it’s never that easy! I said after the Cambridge game if we could get 6/9 points I’d be happy. We got 6/6 so I’m well pleased and a point tomorrow wouldn’t be a disaster. UTV.

Regardless of there position, there isn't a lot between the teams at the top and those at the bottom of League Two. If we have just a few players that don't turn up on the day then we'll drop points. At the very least they'll be 100% committed and we must match their effort and application from the off. They'll know that one home win can turn their season and a couple of wins on the bounce will see them shoot up the table.

If we score first though what confidence they have on the day will soon go up in smoke and we can win quite comfortably. But I expect a tight game with few chances, and I'd take a scrappy 0-1 win all day.

Edited by TylerB
  • Like 1

I just hope we can get over playing badly against lower sides, and put these to the sword. It will be a mark if we can do them. Not really confident of a result just hoping all players are at 100%  then we will be ok .

But I expect a tight game with few chances, and I'd take a scrappy 0-1 win all day.

That's what you said about Oldham and look how that turned out! Hopefully, your predictions carry on as they did then!

1 minute ago, philmpv said:

That's what you said about Oldham and look how that turned out! Hopefully, your predictions carry on as they did then!

I'll come back to this when we win 0-1. 😆

• Like 1

The Typical Vale thing to do in this sort of match would be to lose. I would gladly take a 1-0 tomorrow.

Their player who scored a free kick on Tuesday and rattled the bar with another one looks handy.

• Like 2