Match Thread : Port Vale v Harrogate Town

Just now, valiant_593 said:

What he said was spot on..

That the performance was unacceptable?

Despite our position prior to kick off, we're not a team that's going to perform at or close to our best every week. And sometimes we'll play a side that won't make things easy for us. Despite not hitting the heights today we still could have won the game.

• Like 1

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some absolute tripe posted in here today. Apparently Worrall doesn’t have the pace to play in this system, even though he was player of the year in it last season.    Obviously was a poor game,

What are crewe riding? A fart bubble?

Carls a genius. He says we need to look at playing better than we have today. Amazed JA hasn't called him up for a coaching role.

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

It was a tough game against a well drilled physical outfit, so I’m fairly happy with a point. I thought our weak points today were at fullback and Worrall. Playing Fitz at LB reminds me of the start of last season when we played Crookes there, no attacking outlet whatsoever. Bit gutted that Monty has got injured, as he is a far better player than Fitz. Also Mills didn’t offer a lot and went hoofball. Gibbo should come straight back in when fit. 

The problem with Worrall in this system is that he just doesn’t have the pace to beat his man. He got in numerous good positions and just didn’t make it count. Amoo would have made a big difference today. 

On the plus side, Leon was superb, Manny got through 90 mins and I thought he was a lot better in the second half. Rodney looked a threat and gave us some physicality in the middle. 

Food for thought for JA, but the good thing is, we do have options to change it up. UTV. 

Don't see Worrall as any slower than last season. This season he's under and over hitting his passes. He's too good a player for it not to click soon. Players have had very short preseasons to get that match sharpness. I think Worrall is a player who needs a run of games to be at his best. Last year he also had a good understanding with Gibbo and Monty, which he hasn't quite got with Mills.

• Like 2

For our style of play against that type of opposition, Rodney looked far more dangerous than Cullen when playing up front.

I agree that our passing was poor all game, with Wozza the main culprit today.

Manny had a really strong game. Just hope he keeps fit.

1 minute ago, Badgerspaws said:

For our style of play against that type of opposition, Rodney looked far more dangerous than Cullen when playing up front.

I agree that our passing was poor all game, with Wozza the main culprit today.

Manny had a really strong game. Just hope he keeps fit.

I thought Manny was poor first half but both he and Conlon were much better second half. A big positive was he looked physically stronger the longer the game went on. If he stays fit I think he is just going to get stronger.

Carls a genius. He says we need to look at playing better than we have today. Amazed JA hasn't called him up for a coaching role.

I hate it when people say we should be beating teams like these. Since when has football ever been so straightforward?
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Worrall seems to be today’s scapegoat but for me Rodney and Cullen were poor as well. We offered nothing down the flanks from full backs areas either. I’m not sure what our game plan was today, I doubt very much it was to get into a physical long ball war with them. But sometimes teams drag you down to their level and you just have to get through it anyways you can. At times it looked like we were trying to catch them on the counter attack using rodneys pace from a long ball, but I was a bit disappointed today with our link up play going forward. Yes we kept a clean sheet, but they had chances and like I said on here last week you just need to ride your luck as well and we did that again today. But law of averages says this run of clean sheets won’t continue because teams are still getting opportunities against us. Going back to the full back areas id like to see monty and gibbo come back in, but I understand results have meant that Mills and Fitzpatrick keep their places so it’s an easy decision for the manager, but I wouldn’t say that either of them are better than a fit gibbo and Monty. Strength and depth also means that players need to be more consistent and with Amoo and Pope hopefully available next week then I think that today’s starting front 3 could be looking over their shoulder after that today. Also it’s an interesting dilemma at right back with Mills getting injured, does he stick with smith or bring in Gibbo if he gets through this weeks practice game ok? The positive is that we didn’t lose having not been at our best again. 

Edited by PV1973

6 minutes ago, Old fort said:

I hate it when people say we should be beating teams like these. Since when has football ever been so straightforward?

Spot-on.  Harrogate have settled well into league football and have yet to lose, so it was always going to be a close-one!

• Like 1

Positives:

- Clean sheet. Three from three.

- Unbeaten in the league.

- Legge outstanding again.

- Smith superb, even at right-back.

- Conlon quality when he got on the ball.

- Oyeleke got better as the game went on and there's more to come.

- Much better in the 2nd half, could have scored a couple.

- McKirdy and Robinson coming off the bench shows our strength in depth.

- Pope, Amoo and Gibbons to come back.

Negatives:

- Full-backs very average, and distribution poor from both at times.

- Worrall's final pass way below par. He needs to up his game quick else he'll be on the bench.

- Cullen not really suited to the lone role against physical sides. He didn't stand a chance today.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MBE said:

We were out ran and out fought in that game. I know the conditions are difficult in the wind but our passing and decision making was atrocious. 

What is really disappointing is the few occasions we get the ball in box we didn't have enough players who want to get in there.

I'm sorry but that performance is just not good enough.

Yep, the one thing we've come to expect from an Askey team is even if we aren't very good, then we will have at least given it all we can. I don't think we did today, especially in the first half. They wanted it more than us and completely nullified us. Second half was better especially when we put some pace and power through the middle with Rodders. We need Gibbo and Monty back at RB and LB as we we have no link up or attacking outlet from those positions currently (Smith was slightly better). I'd also like to see Mckirdy out wide and Rodders up front from the start next week. Hopefully we'll have Amoo and Pope back on the bench to give us something different if needed, but I really want to see us taking the game to Morecambe next week.

• Like 1

Just now, Mellor! said:

Yep, the one thing we've come to expect from an Askey team is even if we aren't very good, then we will have at least given it all we can. I don't think we did today, especially in the first half. They wanted it more than us and completely nullified us. Second half was better especially when we put some pace and power through the middle with Rodders. We need Gibbo and Monty back at RB and LB as we we have no link up or attacking outlet from those positions currently (Smith was slightly better). I'd also like to see Mckirdy out wide and Rodders up front from the start next week. Hopefully we'll have Amoo and Pope back on the bench to give us something different if needed, but I really want to see us taking the game to Morecambe next week.

In a game like that today, knowing that it was going to be a battle then Popey would be starting if available. We need to be better in that area with the lone forward. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Old fort said:

Correct. They have an awful lot of momentum, two defeatS in 23 games. I thought they worked very hard to close us down and deserved their point. Sometimes the opposition stop you from playing and this was one such occasion.

Ironically I think Pope May have been more effective than Cullen today - had he been available. 

Edited by soothsayer