Match Thread : Port Vale v Harrogate Town

They were a strong , hard working side reminded me of Gillingham . Their type of football can get you out of league 2, not pretty to watch. First half they imposed their style of play on us, second half we got into the game by passing the ball rather than aimlessly hoofing it up to Cullen.

Second in the table, clean sheet . I’m happy. 
  • Like 1

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some absolute tripe posted in here today. Apparently Worrall doesn’t have the pace to play in this system, even though he was player of the year in it last season.    Obviously was a poor game,

What are crewe riding? A fart bubble?

Carls a genius. He says we need to look at playing better than we have today. Amazed JA hasn't called him up for a coaching role.

Posted Images

Just be interested to gauge opinion.

Given that it clearly didn't suit Cullen who is the man for this type of war of attrition.

Do we go for the raw Rodney who not only has strength but terrifying pace which L2 defenders hate or the proven Pope, all the nous and know how ? 

Clearly both will get a lot of game time ( I assume ) but it's a conundrum that JA gets paid for. 

Also Theo needs to get up to speed quickly .

Personally next week we go with Rodney through the middle and possibly give Mckirdy a start and go at Morecambe. 

• Like 2

Horrible team they were, just can't stand the constant collapsing under any type of tackle. Attacking or defending, they wanted a freekick at all times.

They were a team i wanted to root for a bit this season too, first season in the league and all. <ovf censored> them off now.

11 hours ago, Powerline said:

Some absolute tripe posted in here today. Apparently Worrall doesn’t have the pace to play in this system, even though he was player of the year in it last season. 

Obviously was a poor game, but give credit to Harrogate they were a very tough team to play against. Was quality that let us down today rather than effort, the effort was still there from everyone. 

Yes Worrall had a poor game, but I think people are going OTT. He still covered every blade of grass, still involved in a lot of the play, didn’t go hiding. Just didn’t come off for him today with some mis-hit passes, which happens, he’s a league 2 footballer. 

At the end of the day, it’s another point, we’re unbeaten in the league, and have yet to concede a league goal over 3 games. Onwards and upwards.

Agree with pretty much everything. But Worrall was shocking, his passing, and he needs to step up now we're a few games into the season when we have the likes of McKirdy on the bench and Amoo coming back. We all love him for his work-rate and endeavour, but as one of our wide men it's imperative that he creates for us. He's allowed a poor game like every other player in League Two. But he's not undroppable now, and another performance like that on Saturday and his place should be questioned for the time being. Even though he didn't do anything special, I thought we instantly looked better going forward once McKirdy was on the pitch.

35 minutes ago, Regal Beagle said:

Horrible team they were, just can't stand the constant collapsing under any type of tackle. Attacking or defending, they wanted a freekick at all times.

They were a team i wanted to root for a bit this season too, first season in the league and all. <ovf censored> them off now.

When you get a team looking for free kicks and collapsing on the floor when somebody gets close to them all the time you need a strong ref unfortunately this one was awful and kept blowing up every time they went down 

I think the comment about a lack of quality is spot on.

We haven't got a big, physical team and have sometimes found it difficult in recent seasons when other sides play like this. We don't win many high balls in the final third and with a blustery wind, probably a lot worse than it looked on TV, the ball was hard to get down and pass with accuracy.

You simply have to take your chance when it comes against these teams. Then the game gets stretched and you can often get another one. 

They were indeed very well drilled and professional and probably deserved a point, playing in a manner that suited the players they've got.

It's no good us moaning. We need to be stronger and to show more quality on the ball. 

Distribution from the back is poor. Lumping it up to Cullen was never going to work in a month of Sundays. 

I doubt the likes of Robinson. McKirdy, Pope and Amoo are anywhere near fully fit. Monty is perhaps next in line for a start as he's probably a week or two ahead of the others.

There were a few pluses. Oyeleke's 90 minutes and he was good after half time. We kept a clean sheet. Brisley got some game time and was ok. 

Just let's take the 0-0 and move on. Not a game that will live long in the memory but I've seen dozens like that over the years and we've lost a few similar ones.

• Like 1

I think the wind played a part yesterday in our performance. We were definitely the side trying to play a bit of football, and conditions weren't ideal for that. We passed it much better in the second half once we got going, only we were often let down with that final ball, with Worrall being the main culprit. I genuinely believe they can and will be a top 10 side and getting a point when not at your best and with some players more in form than others isn't something to feel disgraced about. If we can't all be content with three clean sheets and being second in the table currently and with a few more important players on the way back then we all might as well go and learn knitting instead.

2 hours ago, valeparklife said:

How many clean sheets are usually needed for promotion?

Was it 20?

17 more to go if so!

Only Vale and Cambridge now have kept clean sheets in League Two after 3 league games.

Also Ipswich and Hull in League One and Swansea and Watford in the Championship.

Aston Villa and Sheff.Wed are the only other teams to have kept clean sheets but have only played 1 and 2 games respectively.

5 minutes ago, TheSage said:

I think the comment about a lack of quality is spot on.

We haven't got a big, physical team and have sometimes found it difficult in recent seasons when other sides play like this. We don't win many high balls in the final third and with a blustery wind, probably a lot worse than it looked on TV, the ball was hard to get down and pass with accuracy.

You simply have to take your chance when it comes against these teams. Then the game gets stretched and you can often get another one. 

They were indeed very well drilled and professional and probably deserved a point, playing in a manner that suited the players they've got.

It's no good us moaning. We need to be stronger and to show more quality on the ball. 

Distribution from the back is poor. Lumping it up to Cullen was never going to work in a month of Sundays. 

I doubt the likes of Robinson. McKirdy, Pope and Amoo are anywhere near fully fit. Monty is perhaps next in line for a start as he's probably a week or two ahead of the others.

There were a few pluses. Oyeleke's 90 minutes and he was good after half time. We kept a clean sheet. Brisley got some game time and was ok. 

Just let's take the 0-0 and move on. Not a game that will live long in the memory but I've seen dozens like that over the years and we've lost a few similar ones.

It was poor quality today. Conditiond did not help. We had an off day. 

Poor distribution from Brown most of game. Legge and Smith excellent again. Conlan had an off day although marked closely and this upset him i think. Manny gives us that physical presence we need, i think, but his quality first half was poor and with Conlan not at his best we suffered going forward. Too much long ball then.

Worrall had a stinker, after two excellent performances and this proves he is not a goalscorer. He is excellent at delivering a ball and does not have pace to beat a man down the outside but this does not make him a poor player. He just had an off day. Cullen is the weak link for me. Yes he needs service but i dont see he offers anything until in the six yard box. Did not hold a ball up yesterday, admittedly always close to half way line but we need this from the front man. Rodney i thought played better than previous games. Maybe more confident but he looked useful.

Yes three more players available from next week but remember we can only play 11, have 7 subs and use 3. Askey has to get it right. He wont every game but hopefully enough. There is a danger in picking your team to play the opposition. Sometimes it may be better to pick to your strengths and let them worry over you.

Decent start but i still dont see enough goals scored unless one is a game is enough and clean sheets a plenty. Just wish i was there 

20 minutes ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

It was poor quality today. Conditiond did not help. We had an off day. 

Poor distribution from Brown most of game. Legge and Smith excellent again. Conlan had an off day although marked closely and this upset him i think. Manny gives us that physical presence we need, i think, but his quality first half was poor and with Conlan not at his best we suffered going forward. Too much long ball then.

Worrall had a stinker, after two excellent performances and this proves he is not a goalscorer. He is excellent at delivering a ball and does not have pace to beat a man down the outside but this does not make him a poor player. He just had an off day. Cullen is the weak link for me. Yes he needs service but i dont see he offers anything until in the six yard box. Did not hold a ball up yesterday, admittedly always close to half way line but we need this from the front man. Rodney i thought played better than previous games. Maybe more confident but he looked useful.

Yes three more players available from next week but remember we can only play 11, have 7 subs and use 3. Askey has to get it right. He wont every game but hopefully enough. There is a danger in picking your team to play the opposition. Sometimes it may be better to pick to your strengths and let them worry over you.

Decent start but i still dont see enough goals scored unless one is a game is enough and clean sheets a plenty. Just wish i was there 

Cullen is not effective with his back to goal which is how he spent most of yesterday. 

2 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Cullen is not effective with his back to goal which is how he spent most of yesterday. 

Totally agree but to supply him we need wingers who can push up the field, take a man on and beat them, deliver a ball into the box.  Then they have to get back and help the full backs and midfield.                                                     We are a league two. We have players who can do some of the above, some of the time.    Thats why i say Worrall had an off day. He is our main supplier of a ball into the box.                                                                                         You have to agree though that Cullen has to offer more than he did yesterday. He has to be able to hold the ball up, especially when he receives it to feet just inside the opponents half. Otherwise we will struggle to build our play and remain under pressure.

He had no choice . Really can't believe some are advocating for pope to be put straight back in after being out for 6 games. The striker isn't the issue. It's the service. I have no doubt that we could have had Messi, pope or salah up top yesterday and none would have scored or indeed made any effective contribution with the insistence of brown and the full backs of simply lumping aimless balls as high as the stand. Cullen has more than proven that if, given the service, he will score, at a much higher ratio than pope. It's the distribution that JA needs to sort out with the players not the striker.
  • Like 4

Someone said earlier about the triangles. Our current full backs are sound defensively, but they're not Gibbons and Monty.

Hence we keep clean sheets, but their lack of threat going forward allows opponents to smother the midfield and isolate the wide men.

As for Cullen. He's a good footballer and he does link play well.

Tom Pope would not have been any better with that kind of service.

Harrogate harried us and clearances were just that, they weren't passes.

• Like 2

Just seen that Leon Legge was voted man of the match in the sentinel. Admittedly he did have a good game and this may be a little controversial but I think at times he could have controlled the ball as an alternative to booting it to safety. For me Olyeleke was MOM. I believe if we had concentrated more on keeping the ball we would have won yesterday, confidence builds from possession but for some reason we never really settled. Legge had a good game, having been dragged down in to playing their way, whereas Manny was always looking for openings and his passing was above average. I think before long other teams will implement tactics to overcome Harrogate. 

• Like 1