Jump to content

Ale and the Vale Podcast


stupers

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

It’s pretty obvious the meaning behind saying Mansfield are in a false position. Same with Bolton last year.

Mansfield will finish top 10 minimum.

If you prefer… Mansfield as a club are not performing to their potential but this won’t continue for long.

Semantics I guess.

Only time will tell. Personally I thought we gave them too much respect in that game is all I am saying.  We didn't play well, we got a point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, toyahw said:

Only time will tell. Personally I thought we gave them too much respect in that game is all I am saying.  We didn't play well, we got a point.

Agree we didn’t play well… but as DC says when we run over a team, part of that is what about what we do to make the opposition look poor.

Mansfield had a bunch of players back from injury who had been out during their shocking run, they played well against us… or if you prefer, they clicked and played to their potential. They are a decent side.

Agree that we were lucky to get a point. But it’s a valid point that they are not a bottom 3 side by any stretch and on their day will beat some good teams in our league (like Tranmere 2-0 at the weekend).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Agree we didn’t play well… but as DC says when we run over a team, part of that is what about what we do to make the opposition look poor.

Mansfield had a bunch of players back from injury who had been out during their shocking run, they played well against us… or if you prefer, they clicked and played to their potential. They are a decent side.

Agree that we were lucky to get a point. But it’s a valid point that they are not a bottom 3 side by any stretch and on their day will beat some good teams in our league (like Tranmere 2-0 at the weekend).

 

No you are right, they were not crap. Colchester were crap. It's a close league. The only team we have played off the pitch is FGR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, toyahw said:

No you are right, they were not crap. Colchester were crap. It's a close league. The only team we have played off the pitch is FGR.

That's pretty fair, especially over 90 mins. Had some good halves(Barrow, Harrogate, Swindon) so far as well. Just goes to show that most of the time, when you get promoted you're battering teams week in week out, it's the small margins that get you through.

I do however feel there's more to come from Vale. I'd say at some point, one of the strikers will hit a hot streak. I'm hoping for Wilson, as I bet the other two a pint he'd get 20 goals!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Accrington Preview!

A quick catch up in the week. Bezza rejoins us as he's feeling better so thanks for all the good wishes that were sent! We discuss the club's youth victory and how the Elite Player Performance Plan is hampering us and other clubs from making true progress in youth development. A quick word on a Vale legend's new job and then in to the Accrington preview. Accy are 12th in League One, and will be very dangerous opposition. How will they approach it, and how will we? A great weekend ahead. Bezza finishes up by saying this Vale side would be doing ok in League One. What does everyone think? Let us know!

Available on Apple, Google and Spotify podcasts. And here! https://aleandthevale.podbean.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bradford Preview!

Plenty of cup news to discuss, with the FA Cup, Youth Cup and (Unfortunately) the pizza trophy all ongoing! Also lots of good news out there for Vale this week with articles on the club and Darrell Clarke in the national press prior to the weekends televised game. A Bradford preview then, as we take on one of the pre-seasons promotion favourites. Vale in strong form, but Bradford have only 1 in 6 and have a big following heading to Vale Park. What a weekend to look forward to!

Available on Apple, Google and Spotify podcasts. And here! https://aleandthevale.podbean.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some (slightly edited an hour later )thoughts for you on the game fellas.

You would have to consider it 2 points dropped, after being a goal up. Until Angol came on, Bradford were pretty dreadful going forward, Vernam apart. Their midfield was non-existent although they were effective in stopping us playing. We used the ball poorly, particularly in forward areas out wide, and especially on over/underlapping runs where opportunities were ignored. We had a couple of decent long range efforts, but not much in terms of clear cut chances. Robinson probably had his best game for Vale.

For us, Gibbons looked one of our liveliest players, looking to drive forward at every opportunity, but wasn't involved much in the 2nd half until late on. Worrall was very quiet but grew in influence as the game wore on and helped. The midfield didn't seem balanced to me today - Conlon clearly had the class, but didn't get it enough in the right areas to consistently hurt Bradford; when he did, he made things happen. Pett was tidy, but that's all you could say, and Garrity had one of those days where his energy was evident but didn't bring any returns. 

For them, Threlkeld should have gone for those 2 fouls, in the first half, and then really, the whole game changed once Angol came on. The first thing he did was be aggressive in a challenge with Jones, and that set the tone - Bradford suddenly had a focal point to play off and they made the most of it. Good header for the goal, Covolan could never have saved it. Smith's mistake really - not only did he give it away with some strange outside of the boot punt, he then chased out to try and close down, was still nowhere near, and wasn't in the middle to deal with the incoming cross (which was decent).

Wilson's goal was fantastic - great turn and pass from him out wide, then sprinted 60 yards to get on the end of some comical defending.

The subs clearly struggled, but I didn't really blame them to be honest. Taylor was energetic and trying to get involved in the game, but once Wilson went off, we seemed to sit deeper, and just launch it forwards at Lloyd and Rodney. Neither did much, but they weren't exactly offered great service, one excellent Worrall cross fizzed across the 6 yard box aside. At first glance, I thought Conlon's through ball to Lloyd for his great chance was slightly behind him to be honest, and his first touch took him back in to the defence. At least with the competition, Politic will be straining at the leash next week.

Regarding the ref, when the crowd got on his back late on - the keeper's challenge on Rodney was clumsy rather than malicious. He knew he would probably get Rodney on the follow through, but Rodney slightly slipped into it, and it probably made it look worse than it was. The Canavan elbow on Lloyd after was worse - the kind of sly dig that is deliberate, and that you couldn't get away with in the Premier League with VAR, but you can a lot at this level. 

If Bradford are in the playoffs come May, Adams deserves to be Manager of the Year.

Edited by The_godfather

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, The_godfather said:

Some thoughts for you on the game fellas.

You would have to consider it 2 points dropped, after being a goal up. Until Angol came on, Bradford were dreadful going forward, Vernam apart. Their midfield was non-existent. We used the ball poorly, particularly in forward areas out wide, and especially on over/underlapping runs where opportunities were ignored. We had a couple of decent long range efforts, but not much in terms of clear cut chances. Robinson probably had his best game for Vale.

For us, Gibbons looked one of our liveliest players, looking to drive forward at every opportunity, but wasn't involved much in the 2nd half until late on. Worrall was very quiet but grew in influence as the game wore on and helped. The midfield didn't seem balanced to me today - Conlon clearly had the class, but didn't get it enough in the right areas to consistently hurt Bradford; when he did, he made things happen. Pett was tidy, but that's all you could say, and Garrity had one of those days where his energy was evident but didn't bring any returns. 

For them, Threlkeld should have gone for those 2 fouls, in the first half, and then really, the whole game changed once Angol came on. The first thing he did was be aggressive in a challenge with Jones, and that set the tone - Bradford suddenly had a focal point to play off and they made the most of it. Good header for the goal, Covolan could never have saved it. Smith's mistake really - not only did he give it away with some strange outside of the boot punt, he then chased out to try and close down, was still nowhere near, and wasn't in the middle to deal with the incoming cross (which was decent).

Wilson's goal was fantastic - great turn and pass from him out wide, then sprinted 60 yards to get on the end of some comical defending.

The subs clearly struggled, but I didn't really blame them to be honest. Taylor was energetic and trying to get involved in the game, but once Wilson went off, we seemed to sit deeper, and just launch it forwards at Lloyd and Rodney. Neither did much, but they weren't exactly offered great service, one excellent Worrall cross fizzed across the 6 yard box aside. At first glance, I thought Conlon's through ball to Lloyd for his great chance was slightly behind him to be honest, and his first touch took him back in to the defence.

If Bradford are in the playoffs come May, Adams deserves to be Manager of the Year.

all lloyd  had to do was lay the ball off to rodney!!!!!!!!!!!! even he wouldnt have missed the open goal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The_godfather said:

Some (slightly edited an hour later )thoughts for you on the game fellas.

You would have to consider it 2 points dropped, after being a goal up. Until Angol came on, Bradford were pretty dreadful going forward, Vernam apart. Their midfield was non-existent although they were effective in stopping us playing. We used the ball poorly, particularly in forward areas out wide, and especially on over/underlapping runs where opportunities were ignored. We had a couple of decent long range efforts, but not much in terms of clear cut chances. Robinson probably had his best game for Vale.

For us, Gibbons looked one of our liveliest players, looking to drive forward at every opportunity, but wasn't involved much in the 2nd half until late on. Worrall was very quiet but grew in influence as the game wore on and helped. The midfield didn't seem balanced to me today - Conlon clearly had the class, but didn't get it enough in the right areas to consistently hurt Bradford; when he did, he made things happen. Pett was tidy, but that's all you could say, and Garrity had one of those days where his energy was evident but didn't bring any returns. 

For them, Threlkeld should have gone for those 2 fouls, in the first half, and then really, the whole game changed once Angol came on. The first thing he did was be aggressive in a challenge with Jones, and that set the tone - Bradford suddenly had a focal point to play off and they made the most of it. Good header for the goal, Covolan could never have saved it. Smith's mistake really - not only did he give it away with some strange outside of the boot punt, he then chased out to try and close down, was still nowhere near, and wasn't in the middle to deal with the incoming cross (which was decent).

Wilson's goal was fantastic - great turn and pass from him out wide, then sprinted 60 yards to get on the end of some comical defending.

The subs clearly struggled, but I didn't really blame them to be honest. Taylor was energetic and trying to get involved in the game, but once Wilson went off, we seemed to sit deeper, and just launch it forwards at Lloyd and Rodney. Neither did much, but they weren't exactly offered great service, one excellent Worrall cross fizzed across the 6 yard box aside. At first glance, I thought Conlon's through ball to Lloyd for his great chance was slightly behind him to be honest, and his first touch took him back in to the defence. At least with the competition, Politic will be straining at the leash next week.

Regarding the ref, when the crowd got on his back late on - the keeper's challenge on Rodney was clumsy rather than malicious. He knew he would probably get Rodney on the follow through, but Rodney slightly slipped into it, and it probably made it look worse than it was. The Canavan elbow on Lloyd after was worse - the kind of sly dig that is deliberate, and that you couldn't get away with in the Premier League with VAR, but you can a lot at this level. 

If Bradford are in the playoffs come May, Adams deserves to be Manager of the Year.

Arrgh! I didn't think anyone would respond so quickly after the final whistle. We've already recorded otherwise I would have included this in there!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bradford Review!

A draw probably a fair result after an entertaining (Well Stu thought so!) game in front of the cameras at Vale Park. Should there have been 2 reds? Is there injury concerns with Wilson, and which star shone brightest on TV? All those questions answered and more!

Available on Apple, Google and Spotify podcasts. And here! https://aleandthevale.podbean.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All a fair assessment, I agree on the players that stood out for us. I still don’t know where this theory has come from that gibbo has cost us goals with misplaced passes, i get that like any player he gives the ball away now and again, but I just can’t think of any right now where it’s cost us goals. I really can’t. The lack of movement up front was very noticeable and that’s why I was surprised that Clarke didn’t change formation because Bradford did what barrow were doing to us until we changed formation, just to allow players like Worrall, Amoo, gibbo and Conlon more space. Also if we have players like Rodney and Lloyd up front then for me I think we have to try and turn their defence around more to try and get them in behind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we've discussed before with Gibbo. There has been times when a mislaid pass has led to either a serious chance being given away or he's had to work back heavily to stop it. I certainly think he's improved on that in the last 12 months, I'd argue he's probably been one or if not our best player to date this season. I think playing on the left where it's less natural for him has made him a better player which is really saying something. I know Vale will be trying to get a new contract done, I just hope it's soon!

I agree with you about trying to get in behind them. That's what Bradford did to us 1st half on Saturday with Vernam. I didn't see as much as that with Amoo although he did it with the goal. Maybe that's a tactical decision from Clarke and he doesn't want to play like that? Up front will be a serious talking point this week. I really hope Wilson isn't too badly injured. If nothing else, he's got some momentum now and we look a lesser side when he's not on the pitch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oldham (A) Preview

We're joined by friend of the show Nath to discuss the weeks news, including James Wilson's injury, Dennis Politic and the situation at Bolton and also ticket sales for upcoming games. Then into the Oldham preview. With a big following due for Vale and protests for the home team, can Vale take advantage? And what formation and lineup would we play?

Available on Apple, Google and Spotify podcasts. And here! https://aleandthevale.podbean.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 01/11/2021 at 21:10, toyahw said:

Only time will tell. Personally I thought we gave them too much respect in that game is all I am saying.  We didn't play well, we got a point.

Told you Mansfield were on the march.

Good side, hugely underperforming before we played them… seems we were unlucky to catch them as they kicked into gear.

DAB4037A-BB13-408C-B715-3ED4C9BA40F0.jpeg

Edited by Iron Curtain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oldham Review/Walsall Preview

Dreadful defending the theme as we lose to 2nd bottom Oldham with a performance that was not consistent with the rest of the season. Jonny and Stu go through the game, work out which players can come out with any credit and how we go forward from here. We also quickly preview the Walsall game on Tuesday with the Saddlers fans fired up for once to come to Vale Park!

Available on Apple, Google and Spotify podcasts. And here! https://aleandthevale.podbean.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

Told you Mansfield were on the march.

Good side, hugely underperforming before we played them… seems we were unlucky to catch them as they kicked into gear.

DAB4037A-BB13-408C-B715-3ED4C9BA40F0.jpeg

It was a great shout. They looked good against us that Tuesday night and have good players across the team. There's a couple of the more pre-season fancied teams now on a bit of a march!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, stupers said:

It was a great shout. They looked good against us that Tuesday night and have good players across the team. There's a couple of the more pre-season fancied teams now on a bit of a march!

Give it a rest with this teams out of position crap. After 16 games no one "is out of position".  Mansfield are poor. Are Oldham " out of position". Lazy excuse for us being  piss poor against poo teams.

Edited by toyahw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, toyahw said:

Give it a rest with this teams out of position crap. After 16 games no one "is out of position".  Mansfield are poor. Are Oldham " out of position". Lazy excuse for us being  piss poor against poo teams.

No. Oldham are a poor side and we shouldn’t have capitulated. We dominated them but they caught us out.

Its a pretty simple concept that Mansfield’s league position when we played them wasn’t reflective of their squad and potential. As proven by them winning 5 games on the trot since. They out performed us. They are not a “poo” team by any stretch.

Edited by Iron Curtain
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Reporting Posts and Ignoring Users

    Admin don't read everything. Don't assume we'll spot rule breaking. Please report posts and we'll act on ASAP. If you're logged in use the orange report post button. If you're not logged in, please use the contact form

    If you can't get on with another user you can "ignore" them. Follow the link, type in their username and save - Click here

    Check with admin if you wish to sell/auction any items. We're happy to support good causes but check first - Contact us here

  • Friends of OVF




×
×
  • Create New...