Ale and the Vale Podcast

stupers

3 minutes ago, stupers said:

Our preference is to do the pod Saturday. I think for the last few weeks however (and I think for this Saturday!) I don't think it's possible. We don't want anyone calming down too much, I was absolutely seething after the Rochdale game with the defending.

Benning, maybe we were a tad soft on him. However, someone could've closed the cross down, and Martin certainly should have done better challenging for the ball. 

To be fair it was a good ball in from their lad too. But with 3 centre halves back you would think they’d have enough to deal with it. 

To be fair it was a good ball in from their lad too. But with 3 centre halves back you would think they’d have enough to deal with it. 
They were both excellent balls into the box but that's because they had time to pick there spot. If we can't stop the cross coming in we should at least be making it a more difficult and rushed ball in by closing it down.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dishydave said:
10 hours ago, PV1973 said:

They were both excellent balls into the box but that's because they had time to pick there spot. If we can't stop the cross coming in we should at least be making it a more difficult and rushed ball in by closing it down.

Defenders aren’t going to stop very ball in to the box, but for the first 2 goals I felt that Benning and Cass were all over the place positionally which allowed them the time to put a decent ball in. 

Managed to get one when I was playing “Jonnys player ratings bingo” this week after the Rochdale game, when he squeezed in a “he doesn’t look like a footballer” comment for one of the players. 

Swindon preview!

We react to the departure of Nathan Rooney (Head of Coaching) from Vale, and then run through Clarke's comments today and the upcoming Swindon game. Despite the turmoil of pre-season, they've started well. Can Vale sneak a win at one of their least favourite hunting grounds?

Available on Apple, Google and Spotify podcasts. And here! https://aleandthevale.podbean.com

Swindon preview!
We react to the departure of Nathan Rooney (Head of Coaching) from Vale, and then run through Clarke's comments today and the upcoming Swindon game. Despite the turmoil of pre-season, they've started well. Can Vale sneak a win at one of their least favourite hunting grounds?
Available on Apple, Google and Spotify podcasts. And here! https://aleandthevale.podbean.com
Half an hour??? Losing interest boys?

20 hours ago, rob1983 said:
23 hours ago, stupers said:
Swindon preview!

Half an hour??? Losing interest boys?

should do a shorter one more often if it means a win! 

Back to normal next week! 😀

• Like 1

Swindon Review!

A well deserved victory against Swindon is reviewed. After 15 years it's a win at the County Ground for Vale. Jonny is unavailable so we bring in our sponsor Tom to help us with the player ratings and breaking the game down, with special praise for Darrell Clarke included!

Available on Apple, Google and Spotify podcasts. And here! https://aleandthevale.podbean.com

Would agree with Bez, 2 signings that have disappointed so far but i would go Benning and Johnson rather than Martin. Don't think Martin has really done too much wrong yet, not pulling up any trees but he's done his job ok in most games. Benning and Johnson look miles off it.

16 hours ago, Walka003 said:

Would agree with Bez, 2 signings that have disappointed so far but i would go Benning and Johnson rather than Martin. Don't think Martin has really done too much wrong yet, not pulling up any trees but he's done his job ok in most games. Benning and Johnson look miles off it.

Good shout. I’d forgotten about Johnson. Although what I saw of him preseason I was really impressed, he’s just not been able carry it into the season 

4 hours ago, DannyBezza said:

Good shout. I’d forgotten about Johnson. Although what I saw of him preseason I was really impressed, he’s just not been able carry it into the season 

Didn't see any pre season games but from what i've seen so far this year he is way off the pace. I'd consider loaning him out if he doesn't show some signs of improvement before xmas. 

Martin came in with a lot of good reports from Exeter fans, but he's a few years older and has been playing in a relegated scottish team, he probably needs time to get used to being a L2 footballer again. 

Benning, I don't know what the script is with him. Maybe he is unfit, but i do find that difficult to understand given he joined at the end of June so had a fair chunk of pre season with us. None of our other signings appear as lethargic (with the exception of maybe Wilson after 60 mins).

Edited by Walka003

On 14/09/2021 at 01:28, Walka003 said:

Didn't see any pre season games but from what i've seen so far this year he is way off the pace. I'd consider loaning him out if he doesn't show some signs of improvement before xmas. 

Martin came in with a lot of good reports from Exeter fans, but he's a few years older and has been playing in a relegated scottish team, he probably needs time to get used to being a L2 footballer again. 

Benning, I don't know what the script is with him. Maybe he is unfit, but i do find that difficult to understand given he joined at the end of June so had a fair chunk of pre season with us. None of our other signings appear as lethargic (with the exception of maybe Wilson after 60 mins).

Johnson looked pretty good in one of the pre-season friendlies, can't remember which, when he had a lot of time. In the league games he's looked a bit slow in anticipation rather than slow slow.

Martin has been okay. Maybe not as commanding in the air as you might like from a bloke of his height.

Benning, a bit inconsistent. He's had his moments good and bad. Looks a bit like he's not quite worked out his role yet. Being up the pitch when he should be back and vice versa.

None are anywhere near a write-off yet.

Edited by toyahw
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, toyahw said:

Johnson looked pretty good in one of the pre-season friendlies, can't remember which, when he had a lot of time. In the league games he's looked a bit slow in anticipation rather than slow slow.

Martin has been okay. Maybe not as commanding in the air as you might like from a bloke of his height.

Benning, a bit inconsistent. He's had his moments good and bad. Looks a bit like he's not quite worked out his role yet. Being up the pitch when he should be back and vice versa.

None are anywhere near a write-off yet.

Definitely not, can't write any player off after 7 games

Definitely not, can't write any player off after 7 games
Absolutely, no definites in football, some players take a year to find their feet/role some are one season wonders. Firm and soft going, as with race horses has an effect too.
  • Like 1

Harrogate Preview!

We're back with plenty to talk about. Rodney's ban, Clarkey's press conference are among the topics. Then Harrogate to discuss, with their great start and solid structure. They're unbeaten, but is this the best time to play them? Plenty of confidence on the pod this week!