Ale and the Vale Podcast

stupers

Enjoyed the latest pod again. As I said in another thread the 3 key changes that Clarke has made this last 4 games with Cass, Smith and Gibbo have made us a much better team. I agree with bezzas points about Worrall and Gibbo, there aren’t many better wingbacks in the league than those 2. But in regards to Johnny’s points about their goals, one of the sacrifices of wingbacks is that space behind them, which means you need the right and left sided centre halves to come across at times to cover and I thought Jones was really unlucky for their first goal. On another day it goes for a corner or he blocks it. Also the second, even though Gibbo has gone to make a run and Conlon has made a mistake with the pass to him, it’s still going to take a great strike or a slice of luck to score from that distance and I think they got that luck with a bit of a deflection on its way too. 

2 hours ago, PV1973 said:

Enjoyed the latest pod again. As I said in another thread the 3 key changes that Clarke has made this last 4 games with Cass, Smith and Gibbo have made us a much better team. I agree with bezzas points about Worrall and Gibbo, there aren’t many better wingbacks in the league than those 2. But in regards to Johnny’s points about their goals, one of the sacrifices of wingbacks is that space behind them, which means you need the right and left sided centre halves to come across at times to cover and I thought Jones was really unlucky for their first goal. On another day it goes for a corner or he blocks it. Also the second, even though Gibbo has gone to make a run and Conlon has made a mistake with the pass to him, it’s still going to take a great strike or a slice of luck to score from that distance and I think they got that luck with a bit of a deflection on its way too. 

one of the things I called yesterday was the spawniness of nearly every miss control, deflection or block that nearly all fell to favour Orient, so many times they blocked crosses and the ball somehow stayed in play rather than going out for corners/throws or bouncing to another Vale player.  Most annoying🙂

6 hours ago, PV1973 said:

Yep, I think I made that point on their 2nd. It still takes a big effort to score that goal. I did think however it was poor from Conlon though in terms of the pass. 

Regarding Jones, our left side did seem to be the target of their attacks 2nd half and they seemed to have a bit of luck down there. Incredibly unfortunate for the goal, but the lad had a lot of space and that is something you give away a bit of in the channels when you play this formation. Overall though, I thought Vale were excellent first half and showed incredible strength to get back into that when it looked like they were done.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NellyTheValiant said:

one of the things I called yesterday was the spawniness of nearly every miss control, deflection or block that nearly all fell to favour Orient, so many times they blocked crosses and the ball somehow stayed in play rather than going out for corners/throws or bouncing to another Vale player.  Most annoying🙂

It's felt like that for about 20 odd years hasn't it?!

• Like 1

Great pod! As I could not see the game or listen to the commentary, you all relived the experiences for me. Gutted that I could not be to see it.

Totally correct to tackle and comment on the racism point first. No need for the comment that I have seen. Although Their keeper could of/ should of shown the delight of their second goal with ORIENT supporters. The opposite does bring out the reaction from opposing supporters, but still no Need for a racist rant.

Big call out to Smudge as he also played with stitches in his head?

Will watch the game on Tuesday but not sure that the atmosphere will be the same! 😀

• Like 2

On 05/10/2021 at 03:35, Vale1995 said:

If anyone is in need of a new drinking game try drinking everytime stu says 'you know' during the pod. Got me absolutely trollied after about 5 minutes 

I thought it would be my 'erms' that would be the focal point of the game!

Sutton United Preview!

We're talking Manager of the Month, other awards and a Rochdale Pizza game this week. Then into Sutton, who have won 4 out of their last 5 and have some dangerous ex-vale players on the books. A full contingent of Vale fans heading to a new ground this weekend. Will it be Vale marching on, or will Sutton get in and stop the charge?

Available on Apple, Google and Spotify podcasts. And here! https://aleandthevale.podbean.com

Sutton United Preview!
We're talking Manager of the Month, other awards and a Rochdale Pizza game this week. Then into Sutton, who have won 4 out of their last 5 and have some dangerous ex-vale players on the books. A full contingent of Vale fans heading to a new ground this weekend. Will it be Vale marching on, or will Sutton get in and stop the charge?
Available on Apple, Google and Spotify podcasts. And here! https://aleandthevale.podbean.com

'Dangerous ex-vale players'

It was asked how the Manager of the Month curse affected Port Vale managers. Well since 2004 only Micky Adams won it (three times):

September 2010 (followed by a 2-1 loss to Oxford United)

November 2010 (followed by a 1-0 loss to Morecambe)

September 2012 (followed by a 1-1 draw with Dagenham)

Clarke has won five Manager of the Month awards, and immediately followed them with 1 win, 2 draws and 1 defeat.

I must point out I'm just counting the first result of the following month. The award winners are actually announced a few days into the following month if you are want to say the curse only strikes once the award has actually been given

Sutton Review!

An off day for the Vale as karma hits and we fall to a late defeat at Gander Green Lane. Plenty to discuss in the game and some inconsistent performances to go. And what was the referee on?! Apologies for the sound quality from Jonny, who sounds like he was on the Moon when we recorded!

Is it wrong to say I enjoy the pod more when we lose? Not sure I agree with knocking individual performances down because of the team performance though. 

There were some good performances within the game I thought, and at times proctor, Pett and Gibbo were way ahead of everyone. 

Pett had a decent game, but I thought it was him that was slow to close the thrower for the 3rd goal, a small lapse that ended up being costly. I agree that I don’t think there’s any blame that can be attached to Worrall for not winning the header, but when everyone is getting back into their shape it’s hard to suddenly be swapping around so that someone else marks worralls man when he’s coming in defend the back post. 

One thing I noticed with Jones and gibbo was that they were mainly being targeted on that side with long diagonals on to Jones head. I think jones stood up to it well and in the main  I felt that they both linked together well to defend their back post / corner of the box from those long balls in. 

It’s an interesting comment you make about that bit if play from Gibbo where he headed it past the full back and ran on it. You don’t often see play like that in our league, let alone from a full back. I think him and Conlon are currently the 2 main players for us that could be being scouted elsewhere. Conlon may not have been at his best, but you can still tell that’s most of our play goes through him. Take the second goal as an example, that must have been a training ground routine with Conlon being at the heart of it. 

Edited by PV1973