Jump to content

Ale and the Vale Podcast


stupers

Recommended Posts

On 22/10/2021 at 18:41, stupers said:

Colchester Preview!

We're joined by friend of the show Andy (aka Santa on OVF) to look back at the week just gone. We discuss if we've been found out a little bit and need to change things up and whether Rodney deserves to go straight back in with Proctor likely out for a while. We then look at the Colchester game. It looks like a great game to get back on track for Vale, with Colchester languishing in 19th position. What do you think?

Available on Apple, Google and Spotify podcasts. And here! https://aleandthevale.podbean.com

I don't read what's on here very often - fortunately! Some people are going to have to eat a lot of stupid words at the end of the season!

I'm surprised that "...we've been found out a little bit..."? Not sure how, when most posters can't decide what formation we'll be playing even after the team is announced? Nor when we've scored 14 goals in 6 games, with 4 wins and a draw - I'm not seeing the "...being found out..." bit? Admittedly, Mansfield outplayed us but they're a decent team, with a good manager and in a false position - maybe they should have been given more credit for their performance? And, yes - we imploded against Sutton (the only loss in 6)...but we also suffered some appalling luck against a team that's pretty much matching us in terms of current form, and that away from home and a little more concentration / good luck would have seen at least a point?   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Miles off it with tom conlon comment about his left foot. Id probably suggest that right footed players use there right foot to play the ball for 95% if not higher of there touches during the game however not noticed as most are right footed. As a defender you are always told to show the player on there weak side no matter what footed they are. Teams are set up to keep tom conlon quiet in games no matter what foot he is because he is a key player for us. This would be the case if he was right footed. Not sure what the aim is for trying to highlight negatives in one of our star players is in the view of your podcast. 

also there are several world class players who are left footed and are known for being one footed players ie the greatest of all time messi, shaqiri, mahrez to name a few. So to suggest this would limit conlons progression in the football league again is a load of nonsense 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Viz the left foot, you're right it's a really interesting talking point.

There have been many players over the years who have played at the highest level who only used their "Right foot to stand on".  Two spring straight to mind, Alec Lindsay the Liverpool left back and Wim Van Hanegem of Feyenoord and the great Dutch team of 1974. I always remember these two as both had a left foot that could make the ball talk but hardly used their right foot.

Also Vale had a left back named John Ritchie (Not the Stokie one) and from what I remember John was predominately left footed, he was sold to Preston NE in the 60's.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crawley review!

Vale get the win and a big win at that. Not the finest performance, but 80 minutes against 10 men and Vale's quality showed through in the end. We go through the game, Jonny's match ratings and wonder why John Yems is commenting on things he hasn't seen! Let us know what you think!

Available on Apple, Google and Spotify podcasts. And here! https://aleandthevale.podbean.com

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 29/10/2021 at 19:31, LancyTony said:

I don't read what's on here very often - fortunately! Some people are going to have to eat a lot of stupid words at the end of the season!

I'm surprised that "...we've been found out a little bit..."? Not sure how, when most posters can't decide what formation we'll be playing even after the team is announced? Nor when we've scored 14 goals in 6 games, with 4 wins and a draw - I'm not seeing the "...being found out..." bit? Admittedly, Mansfield outplayed us but they're a decent team, with a good manager and in a false position - maybe they should have been given more credit for their performance? And, yes - we imploded against Sutton (the only loss in 6)...but we also suffered some appalling luck against a team that's pretty much matching us in terms of current form, and that away from home and a little more concentration / good luck would have seen at least a point?   

I think it’s not necessarily our formations (although we have been steady with a 5-3-2 in the main from the start) but more about our style and how we build attacks. 
 

I thought we did give Mansfield good credit for their performance. I said that it was the best performance of the season against us. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 30/10/2021 at 03:06, Vale1995 said:

Miles off it with tom conlon comment about his left foot. Id probably suggest that right footed players use there right foot to play the ball for 95% if not higher of there touches during the game however not noticed as most are right footed. As a defender you are always told to show the player on there weak side no matter what footed they are. Teams are set up to keep tom conlon quiet in games no matter what foot he is because he is a key player for us. This would be the case if he was right footed. Not sure what the aim is for trying to highlight negatives in one of our star players is in the view of your podcast. 

also there are several world class players who are left footed and are known for being one footed players ie the greatest of all time messi, shaqiri, mahrez to name a few. So to suggest this would limit conlons progression in the football league again is a load of nonsense 

Yep we take that on board. It was a discussion we wanted to have. It didn’t think it came off as a massive criticism (that wasn’t the intention, and we did say he’s got some left foot) but it was something Jonny noted and wanted to discuss. Great point about the fact there are plenty of world class left footers that can’t use their right. One that was pointed out to us was Rivaldo who was decent enough 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, stupers said:

Yep we take that on board. It was a discussion we wanted to have. It didn’t think it came off as a massive criticism (that wasn’t the intention, and we did say he’s got some left foot) but it was something Jonny noted and wanted to discuss. Great point about the fact there are plenty of world class left footers that can’t use their right. One that was pointed out to us was Rivaldo who was decent enough 😂

Thought it was fair comment. He's got better. Credit to him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, stupers said:

I think it’s not necessarily our formations (although we have been steady with a 5-3-2 in the main from the start) but more about our style and how we build attacks. 
 

I thought we did give Mansfield good credit for their performance. I said that it was the best performance of the season against us. 
 

 

You may have done on here...but for many on OVF, it was a poor performance from us, rather than a good performance from Mansfield.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, LancyTony said:

You may have done on here...but for many on OVF, it was a poor performance from us, rather than a good performance from Mansfield.

I reckon it can be both. I think Mansfield surprised us a bit. With their poor form they were supposedly ripe for the picking. I didn’t think so. They have decent players across the pitch. It was an off night for Vale, but certainly some of that was down to how well they played. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, stupers said:

I reckon it can be both. I think Mansfield surprised us a bit. With their poor form they were supposedly ripe for the picking. I didn’t think so. They have decent players across the pitch. It was an off night for Vale, but certainly some of that was down to how well they played. 

I thought we were way too cautious and gave them the initiative from the off. Too much talk of them being in a false position. No  one is in a false position after 14 games. But we got a point, move on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, toyahw said:

They weren't in a false position at that time. We whopped them 6-3. They got there stuff together later, true.

It’s pretty obvious the meaning behind saying Mansfield are in a false position. Same with Bolton last year.

Mansfield will finish top 10 minimum.

If you prefer… Mansfield as a club are not performing to their potential but this won’t continue for long.

Semantics I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Reporting Posts and Ignoring Users

    Admin don't read everything. Don't assume we'll spot rule breaking. Please report posts and we'll act on ASAP. If you're logged in use the orange report post button. If you're not logged in, please use the contact form

    If you can't get on with another user you can "ignore" them. Follow the link, type in their username and save - Click here

    Check with admin if you wish to sell/auction any items. We're happy to support good causes but check first - Contact us here

  • Friends of OVF




×
×
  • Create New...