onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Ale and the Vale Podcast

stupers

2 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Just finished listening... its clearly something that is very painful for Tom.

He sounds like someone who knows the game has moved on past the style of player he was and is struggling to accept it.

Sounds like dealing with Askey did a real number on him mentally. Whether that has impacted him to the point of being in such a bad place he cant come to peace with the way things ended I don't know.

Case in point... "Flickers was brilliant and I recommended to everyone that they get him on board... hen he didn't ask me my opinions on players so now I hate him." Doesn't feel like a proportionate response to me.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion on people though and Tom is more than entitled to his given its his truth... Pinch of salt on his ability to judge someone maybe given 2 people he had positive things to say about were Norman and Artell 🙂

Would agree with alot of that. Whether people like it or not, the game has moved on. I'm not saying for the better, but the days of squad morale being built around a drinking culture or end of season trips to Marbella are gone. You can still have characters in a dressing room, they don't have to be old school to fit the bill.

He still sounds very raw & from what he's had to say things could have definitely been handled much better than they have been. This isn't a criticism of Carol, but I don't for one minute think Askey plays that card about the captaincy without Carol having said something, even if it was just a passing comment. 

I also found the comments about DF strange, very positive about his potential appointment but then completely flipped that opinion when he realised it was a DOF role rather than manager. He clearly feels let down by him & to call him a scumbag is pretty strong stuff.

His comments around DC didn't surprise me too much to be honest. I think DC is one of those Managers who you either love or you hate, not much middle ground. Linesy did a pod saying what a legend he was, Monty clearly not so much of a fan & Pope likewise. To be fair to DC, we were on a run of 7/8 wins on the bounce after a torrid time, he was quite within his rights to stick with the same team & I don't think any of us during that run were begging for Popey to start were we?

In summary, things could & should have been handled better, but I think the damage had already been done by Askey. Seems he lost his head & his love for it after that which is very sad to hear. He will always be a legend & will be great to give him the send off he deserves at his testimonial.

Advert

Just finished listening... its clearly something that is very painful for Tom.
He sounds like someone who knows the game has moved on past the style of player he was and is struggling to accept it.
Sounds like dealing with Askey did a real number on him mentally. Whether that has impacted him to the point of being in such a bad place he cant come to peace with the way things ended I don't know.
Case in point... "Flickers was brilliant and I recommended to everyone that they get him on board... hen he didn't ask me my opinions on players so now I hate him." Doesn't feel like a proportionate response to me.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion on people though and Tom is more than entitled to his given its his truth... Pinch of salt on his ability to judge someone maybe given 2 people he had positive things to say about were Norman and Artell
This is spot on....
Tom is clearly hurting, its a shame his pain has turned to bitterness.

2 minutes ago, philmpv said:

Not listened to it yet, but was just wondering whether the people that it seems he's been given free reign to accuse of some nasty things and have a pop at were given the opportunity to respond? Or will they be?

They say at the start of the pod that they have asked the club if they want to comment.

Tom calls it himself in the pod… people will say it sounds like sour grapes and in that respect he is right. There are two sides to every story and there is no need to keep going back and forth on who was right and who was wrong as all it will do it divide the fan base. 

The best thing the club can do is not get involved… Tom is a legend and is allowed his opinion. He has voiced it, is no longer at the club and it’s time to move on. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, philmpv said:

Not listened to it yet, but was just wondering whether the people that it seems he's been given free reign to accuse of some nasty things and have a pop at were given the opportunity to respond? Or will they be?

The club were given a heads up & offered the right to respond. They said they wanted to listen to the pod before making any comment.

Other than him calling DF a scumbag, I don't think there would be much for them to comment on. It's highly unlikely they will respond at all, as it could just become a social slanging match which nobody wants.

• Like 2

Listened to bits and bobs of it. Sounds like Tom is hurting.

Some of the stuff he said I disagree with , calling Monty unstable is one of them. Wrong term for someone dealing with mental health issues. Slating fans loyalty about releasing certain players, considering we watched that dross home and away every week.

Loved Tom Pope the Player and will always be a legend. And that 2012 promotion/ man city game will forever last a memory 

However time has moved on and Port Vale has. 

Edited by boslemportvale91
  • Like 1

Having given it a listen I think everyone has the right to say how it is in their eyes which Pope has.

With that said the longer they went on discussing it the more it convinced me the club were right in parting ways with him. I also think everyone needs to move on now so for that reason I hope the club if they do offer a response it’s just to say he’s entitled to his opinion and leave it in the past.

• Like 2

Wow. What a podcast! I listened to it all and did not want it to stop. Some of what he had to say is probably true and is very hard to disagree with, some maybe just his moaning (sour grapes), some a bit contradictory and some almost shows maybe why they did not want to keep him. However I do love listening to Tom and what he has to say and of course he's entitled to his opinion! The one thing I hope he is wrong about is our promotion chances this season. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

I haven’t listened to the podcast so I won’t comment on what Tom Pope has said. Does he mention that he had dragged the club’s name through the mud with his stupidity on social media?  Did he mention that the club spent a fortune on legal fees supporting him during his last social media issue?  Did he mention that he refused to take the advice of those legal people in his response to the case?  He reckons he has the right to free speech - well so do the rest of us and I reckon that it is a shame in view of everything he did on the pitch for the club he is now behaving like a spoilt kid off it. 

Whilst he is free to air his opinions, I hope they don't have a negative on the club this season going forward, I hope his views aren't used as a stick to beat Carol and the management team if there is a bad run of results 

• Like 1

Wow. That was actually very hard to listen to in the end. Still love Tom Pope and it left me feeling like professional football in general needs to think a lot harder about the mental health impacts on players and how to support them better - their careers and futures are relatively unpredictable and things come to a full stop so quickly. Tom is absolutely gutted and angry about how things have gone and it is easy to understand how he feels.

I am certain that there is another side to all of the stories that Tom told as there are a lot of contradictions in what he has said, particularly about his exit and I can see lots of reasons why it ended how it did - the new manager would have had a completely different perspective on things (Team underperforming, Tom underperforming / unfit (he said himself that he was drinking a lot at the end under Askey),he is a big old school character, recent suspensions due to twitter, his general attitude probably wasn't a fit with the 'professional' approach that is so important to DC)

Vale fans should be pleased that we had a goalscorer as good as Tom to get us out of the mire as much as he did and sad that he feels this way at the end of his career.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

He's fond of criticising fellow pros, isn't he?

Yeah - that was one of the contradictions for me, he was keen to point out that he was a really supportive and positive influence to have on the team in the difficult times, and how he would approach things with an arm around the shoulder - yet he couldn't help but put the boot in on others (Richie Bennett in particular, who he said that he got on with) and pretty much said that he downed tools under Askey at the point when Vale probably needed him to be a positive influence about the place the most.

I don't know how I would be acting in the circumstances and I'm not slating him here, but I think that he is talking emotionally and things are a bit too raw at the moment so he is looking at things with a very particular perspective -  he has been going through a very difficult time and everyone deals with things differently.

• Like 1