George

Stoke Relegation Thread

20 minutes ago, Woakesy said:

I have to disagree here.

I see loads of pundits & players saying Stoke have got a very good squad but I just don’t see it. Who have they got who is actually any good?

I wouldn’t say they had any players that come to mind who would get into a Championship promotion team. They’re mostly big lumps destined for the lower reaches (Vokes, Batth, BMI etc).

The fact that only Pieters got a move back to the Premier League post relegation speaks volumes.

To me the mentality & tactics are all wrong but ultimately, the players are just nowhere near promotion standard. Whether they’re relegation standard remains to be seen.

Well, despite his distractions, I would argue Butland is an excellent keeper. I thought Stoke grabbed an absolute bargain when they initially got him.

But that may be it and I take the point that some of the recent Jones signings hardly have potential and are just physical units.

Stoke look like they sign a lot of players by numbers. They’ve finally sacked their head of recruitment but only after all their summer transfer business was already done. You don’t see any ‘scruff of the neck’ players in that side so they just carry on playing their pretty diamond and conceding shots on goal very easily.

Was talking to a Sjoke mate who thought they had turned the corner after a draw against a decent Derby side. Warned him that Preston are an established mid table championship team and it wont be easy. Obviously I was wrong Preston found it very easy. Was genuinely surprised last week when I heard Jones record at Sjoke, it was something like 3 wins in 23 matches. Was amazed  considering it was that poor he hadn't gone already. Heard him last season after numerous defeats saying its not my team judge me after the Summer. Its early days but he already has a relegation thread on OVF. Surely a good manager gets the best out of what he inherits which after all isn't that what most managers do , they inherit the previous managers team. Cant wait for Radio Sjokes 6pm sports programme tonight  should be a cracker. 

Careful Guys, as much as we all love this situation, we were doing all this last season, particularly the chances of us meeting them in the league, but look how it ended for us. - Just saying, like😀

On 22/08/2019 at 12:50, robf said:

Well, despite his distractions, I would argue Butland is an excellent keeper. I thought Stoke grabbed an absolute bargain when they initially got him.

But that may be it and I take the point that some of the recent Jones signings hardly have potential and are just physical units.

I think Butland WAS an excellent keeper. Since his England injury he’s looked a shadow of his former self. I honestly think he’s lost whatever he had.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Conrad said:

They’ll be getting Ricaaaarrdo back next.

Given the comments I've heard a lot would want Tony Pulis back. Of course, given the way that they got rid of him would he want to?

I doubt that Pulis will return for one simple reason. The powers that be at the FAT365 discarded of his services as they wanted a “change in direction” football style wise.

If Pulis was to be re-employed by the very same people who affectedly sacked him, it would be an admission that their decision was wrong in the first place.

And that won’t happen. Turkeys do not vote for Christmas.

My step father, a man who went to an FA Cup final at Wembley under Pulis and loved rubbing my nose in it when they were playing Manchester City and we were playing Colchester, now states that he hates Pulis and never liked him. He also says that he never wanted Rowett despite him telling me what a good appointment he was. He definitely said that he was really pleased about Nathan Jones getting the job; I've not spoken to him for a few weeks but will try and speak to him soon and see how much he predicted this whole sorry mess/ ceaseless feast of schadenfreude.

• Haha 1

Rowett is a good manager, although his tactics can be boring. Jones is a good manager but maybe jumped up the ladder too quickly. The problem is that Stoke have not spent wisely and have a poor Championship squad. They should stay up but the Premiership money is drying up and they are continuing to buy <ovf censored> players.

long may it continue.

Correct. Best possible result. Narrowly scrape a win in a meaningless cup game that earns 0 league points but keeps Agent Jones in position for several games yet. Thank you Leeds, your contribution to the cause is most admirable. 

• Like 4

Bit harsh on poor old Nath today. Big streaky deflection for the winning goal.

I agree with the woman who rang up P&G today and wanted to see him given more time. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2