onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Kevin & Carol Buy the 'Vale; Update on July's Supporters Club Meeting

mr.hobblesworth

Didn’t Norman leave the football side to Garlick and Fradley who gave Baldrick Brown a new contract then have to return to sack him.

Smurthwaite did say if Brown went Garlick would be going with him but still kept him in place.

I can’t see any improvements in the club since Garlick came just deterioration.

He must carry the can for the pathetic running of the commercial side and didn’t we have more loan signings than we could accommodate in the squad on a couple of occasions.

Suppose he was just following orders.

It’s hard to judge him bad or good while he’s been working for Smurthwaite. Probably deserves a chance to work for decent owners.

Advert

I think you've misinterpreted the tone of my comments. It wasn't intended at all to denigrate the protestors at NS's rule, more to example the fickleness and demands for instant magical success that seems to be the mantra of 'the usual suspects' on here. They know who they are, as do most on here. They're the ones who ony pop their heads up when we have a poor result/performance, and/or hijack threads with a constant bombardment of negativity.

Ah, OK. Understood.

I would question the sanity of anyone who looks at the squad, the stadium, the atmosphere, the off the field shambles, and doesn't realise there is a good 5 years of sorting out until we can reverse the mess that Norman's created.

I don't see us back in mid-table League 1 for that amount of time. We're in for a long run.

Just for starters -

Short term:

Askey signed up - he’s earned it.

Seats in Lorne Street Hamil side - at least it’ll look finished.

Season ticket offers - reduce Bycars prices to get a few more in behind the goal.

My seat to have a full refurb.

Giant effigy of Sexman to be hung on one of Railways Stand flag poles - to be set alight before every home game as an offering to the gods. Copyright J. Kent

Medium/Long term:

Safe standing installed in at least one stand or area - unfinished Lorne Street or see below.

Railway Stand redeveloped - flattened and rebuilt 10 yards nearer the pitch, with as steep a rake as possible, ideally some safe standing incorporated and with a lower capacity. - then we could quash all this nonsense about moving because “the grounds too big, too spread out, too etc etc.”

Money spending on a new playing surface - the current pitch has more humps and bumps than the surface of the moon.

When we knew that SS had submitted a take over bid everything seemed fine. Following this we managed to safeguard our position in the football league, even better. The only downside in the last month was the performance against Macclesfield. The manager has hinted that a lot of players aren’t up to the job and will not be playing again for PVFC. Aren’t these the three most important things that as fans we’ve wanted to happen.

I don’t believe that the managers status can change whilst a takeover bid Is in progress.

Be patient we start again in August and things cannot be as bad as they have been for the last three seasons.

So let’s stop bickering, being negative and let’s get positive behind the team and everyone else associated with the club. We wanted major changes and it’s likely that we’ll get our wish.

I want the football club and the stadium as one entity again. I want the club run professionally and sustainably so we don't end up with debts. I want stability with the manager given time and a sustainable, competitive budget for L2. I want the football manager to be trusted and left to deal with football matters, especially the signing of players.

I want the fans to support the club again in numbers. I want VP to be a fortress where we rarely lose. I want a team that we're proud of once again (it's a while since we've had that)

I could go on and on. I would be amazed if Carol did a worse job than NS.

Didn’t Norman leave the football side to Garlick and Fradley who gave Baldrick Brown a new contract then have to return to sack him.

Smurthwaite did say if Brown went Garlick would be going with him but still kept him in place.

I can’t see any improvements in the club since Garlick came just deterioration.

He must carry the can for the pathetic running of the commercial side and didn’t we have more loan signings than we could accommodate in the squad on a couple of occasions.

Suppose he was just following orders.

We only have Norman's word for the Brown appointment and I'm not certain of his credibility.

The main improvement under Garlick is his willingness to communicate with the fans and be honest with them.

The pathetic running of the commercial side is down to the fact that the marketing department consists of one person. That is not the fault of the CEO.

It is the job of the manager to decide who he wants in his squad, not the CEO. We had too many loan signings after the January because the chairman had a brain storm on transfer deadline day.

Have you ever spoken to the bloke?

Definite to happen:

1. Within 6 months, the usual suspects will be demanding 'Synethics out' and declaring that they will not attend again whilst SS remain in situ.

2. Within 6 months, if we're not in the top 2, the usual suspects will be hollering about they cannot see 'where the next win is coming from', and demanding the manager's head.

3. Within 6 months, if the usual suspects have not received gold and diamond embossed marketing material, the Club will be declared 'a shambles from top to bottom', with a promise that they will not attend again until apologies are made and recompense offered.

So who are these 'usual suspects?'

We only have Norman's word for the Brown appointment and I'm not certain of his credibility.

The main improvement under Garlick is his willingness to communicate with the fans and be honest with them.

The pathetic running of the commercial side is down to the fact that the marketing department consists of one person. That is not the fault of the CEO.

It is the job of the manager to decide who he wants in his squad, not the CEO. We had too many loan signings after the January because the chairman had a brain storm on transfer deadline day.

Have you ever spoken to the bloke?

No but actions speak louder than words and in the 3 years he has been at Port Vale the club hasn’t improved but sunk lower down the leagues.

He has listened to Mr Blobby and carried on doing what he is told to do.

Are you saying that he is not responsible for marketing and negotiating players transfers and wages and everything is due to Smurthwaite.He and Fradley did extend Baldrick Browns contract even after he was responsible for getting us relegated.

I am no fan of Smurthwaite and will glad to see the back of him but you must be naive if you think Garlick is not responsible for some of the bad decisions.

We need a fresh start with a new CEO ( not Smurthwaites yes man)who can actually improve the club which should not be difficult in the present circumstances.

Carole and Kevin need someone they can trust to help run the club as they have their own business to run.

...declining, ageing fanbase compounded by a non-existent commercial department, a seemingly woeful reputation in football rounding the lot off...

Not sure about the woeful reputation? Some fans tried to prove this, last season, but the occasional good things negated that! Smurf, undoubtedly, had a bad reputation!! And, pretty sure that, with owners who have some interest in the club, commercial success will be achieved, even if it isn't instant?

The fact we have a declining and ageing fanbase should be a temporary state - the overall negativity; poor results and playingstyle have seen our fanbase dwindle to its core - which, with small clubs, will always be that demographic. We haven't been sexy enough to attract the fickle youth support who have endless alternatives to watching Vale grind out another turgid defeat! However, with a sensible approach by our new owners, and the chance to challenge rather than be in a permanent relegation battle, fans will come back - no question! And if Vale are challenging for promotion...and, maybe, have a cup run or two...they will be sexy enough for the younger fans to start attending. Then, we need to keep them sufficiently interested to become the next core support, somewhere down the line!

No but actions speak louder than words and in the 3 years he has been at Port Vale the club hasn’t improved but sunk lower down the leagues.

He has listened to Mr Blobby and carried on doing what he is told to do.

Are you saying that he is not responsible for marketing and negotiating players transfers and wages and everything is due to Smurthwaite.He and Fradley did extend Baldrick Browns contract even after he was responsible for getting us relegated.

I am no fan of Smurthwaite and will glad to see the back of him but you must be naive if you think Garlick is not responsible for some of the bad decisions.

We need a fresh start with a new CEO ( not Smurthwaites yes man)who can actually improve the club which should not be difficult in the present circumstances.

Carole and Kevin need someone they can trust to help run the club as they have their own business to run.

Totally agree with everything here. Garlicks position has been untenable for a while. All this “he’s a nice approachable guy” stuff doesn’t wash with me.

Get rid as well as most of the useless staff down there. Hanger ons like Ally “fans liaison, I don’t get paid but get free tickets to everywhere” Simcock would be the first out of the door.

Some of them make Ticket office Ted look competent.

As for marketing, I was watching the highlights on Quest and if you watch it back, look at the Cheltenham highlights. Advertisement hoardings everywhere! If he straight on to their marketing department. It was quite striking on tv.

This is interesting stuff about Colin Garlick.

https://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/4/sport-news/96176/chris-dunphy-and-colin-garlick-receive-long-service-awards-from-the-football-league

Especially this bit:

"Mr Garlick joined Macclesfield Town as club secretary in 1993 and witnessed six years of unprecedented success as the club enjoyed four consecutive civic receptions due to two Football Conference titles, an FA Trophy win at Wembley and promotion to the then Division 2 following entry to the Football League the season before. He took up the position of Chief Executive and Secretary at Macclesfield in 2005 but left the club in 2005 when he initially took up the role of General Manager and Secretary at Rochdale, later becoming Chief Executive/Secretary. In his 10 seasons at Rochdale he too has seen the club visit Wembley for the first time in its centenary season and witnessed two promotions to League 1.

In addition to the on field success that both have overseen in recent years, this success has extended to player transfer sales and has included players such as Grant Holt, Rickie Lambert, Adam Le Fondre, Craig Dawson, Chris O’Grady, Will Buckley, Craig Dawson and Glenn Murray."

So if he did a very decent job at Macc and Rochdale you have to wonder why things haven't worked the same at Vale?

Archived