onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Kevin & Carol Buy the 'Vale; Update on July's Supporters Club Meeting

mr.hobblesworth

This is interesting stuff about Colin Garlick.

https://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/4/sport-news/96176/chris-dunphy-and-colin-garlick-receive-long-service-awards-from-the-football-league

Especially this bit:

"Mr Garlick joined Macclesfield Town as club secretary in 1993 and witnessed six years of unprecedented success as the club enjoyed four consecutive civic receptions due to two Football Conference titles, an FA Trophy win at Wembley and promotion to the then Division 2 following entry to the Football League the season before. He took up the position of Chief Executive and Secretary at Macclesfield in 2005 but left the club in 2005 when he initially took up the role of General Manager and Secretary at Rochdale, later becoming Chief Executive/Secretary. In his 10 seasons at Rochdale he too has seen the club visit Wembley for the first time in its centenary season and witnessed two promotions to League 1.

In addition to the on field success that both have overseen in recent years, this success has extended to player transfer sales and has included players such as Grant Holt, Rickie Lambert, Adam Le Fondre, Craig Dawson, Chris O’Grady, Will Buckley, Craig Dawson and Glenn Murray."

So if he did a very decent job at Macc and Rochdale you have to wonder why things haven't worked the same at Vale?

One Craig Dawson,there's only one Craig Dawson?

Advert

This is interesting stuff about Colin Garlick.

https://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/4/sport-news/96176/chris-dunphy-and-colin-garlick-receive-long-service-awards-from-the-football-league

Especially this bit:

"Mr Garlick joined Macclesfield Town as club secretary in 1993 and witnessed six years of unprecedented success as the club enjoyed four consecutive civic receptions due to two Football Conference titles, an FA Trophy win at Wembley and promotion to the then Division 2 following entry to the Football League the season before. He took up the position of Chief Executive and Secretary at Macclesfield in 2005 but left the club in 2005 when he initially took up the role of General Manager and Secretary at Rochdale, later becoming Chief Executive/Secretary. In his 10 seasons at Rochdale he too has seen the club visit Wembley for the first time in its centenary season and witnessed two promotions to League 1.

In addition to the on field success that both have overseen in recent years, this success has extended to player transfer sales and has included players such as Grant Holt, Rickie Lambert, Adam Le Fondre, Craig Dawson, Chris O’Grady, Will Buckley, Craig Dawson and Glenn Murray."

So if he did a very decent job at Macc and Rochdale you have to wonder why things haven't worked the same at Vale?

Just a minute you are now saying Garlick was responsible for signings and transfers at Rochdale and Macc but not at Vale.

The visits to Wembley were due to Garlick not the astute Manager who made the signings.

So he is responsible for the demise of Port Vale in the last 3 seasons?

What a hypocrite.

Just a minute you are now saying Garlick was responsible for signings and transfers at Rochdale and Macc but not at Vale.

The visits to Wembley were due to Garlick not the astute Manager who made the signings.

So he is responsible for the demise of Port Vale in the last 3 seasons?

What a hypocrite.

No I'm saying you can't have it both ways. If he is the reason for Vale's decline you have to explain why he seems to have been involved at successful clubs previously. Possibly it's because he was working for different owners then? Just an thought.

We only have Norman's word for the Brown appointment and I'm not certain of his credibility.

The main improvement under Garlick is his willingness to communicate with the fans and be honest with them.

The pathetic running of the commercial side is down to the fact that the marketing department consists of one person. That is not the fault of the CEO.

It is the job of the manager to decide who he wants in his squad, not the CEO. We had too many loan signings after the January because the chairman had a brain storm on transfer deadline day.

Have you ever spoken to the bloke?

The Sales and Marketing Manager has had her hands full in the last few months.

The Sales and Marketing Manager has had her hands full in the last few months.

Let us be fair and say the marketing department have been exploring and opening up to all opportunities.

As an equal opportunity employer they do not discriminate against fatty sweaty men on the bone.

Discrete service guaranteed, but be careful with traffic on Hamil Rd.

Having the club and ground run by different companies can actually benefit the playing side.

I want the football club and the stadium as one entity again. I want the club run professionally and sustainably so we don't end up with debts. I want stability with the manager given time and a sustainable, competitive budget for L2. I want the football manager to be trusted and left to deal with football matters, especially the signing of players.

I want the fans to support the club again in numbers. I want VP to be a fortress where we rarely lose. I want a team that we're proud of once again (it's a while since we've had that)

I could go on and on. I would be amazed if Carol did a worse job than NS.

Let us be fair and say the marketing department have been exploring and opening up to all opportunities.

As an equal opportunity employer they do not discriminate against fatty sweaty men on the bone.

Discrete service guaranteed, but be careful with traffic on Hamil Rd.

Made me laugh that did.

After reading what Jacko has made me aware of, I for one wouldn't be unhappy to give CG a chance providing the new owners are happy to keep him and I believe that they are.

People should remember the bloke could only work under the restrictions heaped upon him and boy has he had plenty of that put on his shoulders. Just look back and see the positives while he was working at Rochdale and Macc. After reading that I think Colin could have been the best signing that Sexman ever made during his reign of terror.

Totally agree with everything here. Garlicks position has been untenable for a while. All this “he’s a nice approachable guy” stuff doesn’t wash with me.

Get rid as well as most of the useless staff down there. Hanger ons like Ally “fans liaison, I don’t get paid but get free tickets to everywhere” Simcock would be the first out of the door.

Some of them make Ticket office Ted look competent.

As for marketing, I was watching the highlights on Quest and if you watch it back, look at the Cheltenham highlights. Advertisement hoardings everywhere! If he straight on to their marketing department. It was quite striking on tv.

Agree with most on here, however Garlick's record at Rochdale & Macc stands up, so not so sure he wouldn't be the right man for the job.

After reading what Jacko has made me aware of, I for one wouldn't be unhappy to give CG a chance providing the new owners are happy to keep him and I believe that they are.

People should remember the bloke could only work under the restrictions heaped upon him and boy has he had plenty of that put on his shoulders. Just look back and see the positives while he was working at Rochdale and Macc. After reading that I think Colin could have been the best signing that Sexman ever made during his reign of terror.

Sorry I still don’t go along with he was only acting under orders.

Mr Blobby admitted he didn’t know much about football and it was up to Garlick as his right hand man to lead him to make the correct decisions.He had 3 dismal years to try to improve the club under Smurthwaite and we carried on in a downward spiral until we nearly dropped out of the league.

Again I would say he was involved in player signings and transfers and wages but did little to change things.

The whole sales and marketing and administration needs a revamp from someone keen to improve things and not sit back and allow it to deteriorate.

We need a complete break from Smurthwaites regime and I am sure there are decent people available who could help run the club better than Garlick.

Archived