Home Forum News History Predictions About Contact
robf

Match thread: Port Vale v Burnley

34 minutes ago, robf said:

A thread to discuss the game.

Let's kick off with this story of dedication - https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jul/19/burnley-two-games-at-once

I actually saw that last game he missed!  It was a midweek game and happened about 10 days after Newcastle had beaten Burnely 2-0 in an FA Cup semi-final at Hillsborough.  The Burnley players lined up to give Newcastle a guard of honour as they came on to the pitch in recognition of their FA Cup Final appearance then proceeded to play them off the park.  The score was only 2-1 to Burnley but could have been alot more!!

Let's kick off with this story of dedication - https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jul/19/burnley-two-games-at-once
Dave lives in madeley met him a few times as he has gone burnley games with my mate (usually has a stoke on trent clarets flag)
Does as much work in the summer then casual work in the winter as he cant hold a permanent job as bosses dont seem to be able to give him time off for his beloved burnley..think if memory correct, him n his friend when young decided to pick a different team to support think his mate chose liverpool he then chose burnley ..
Certainly a character and top bloke , usually gets lifts to games sets off really early in case any hiccups or breakdown then has others supporters (both home n away fans) on stand by to carry on the journey to get him to the game in plenty of time.

but will leave at about 3.35pm to catch a taxi....it will take us to Longport train station for the 3.40pm to Crewe

VP to Longport station ready to board in 5 minutes? Don't think he'll make that!

Anyone remember 'footballs hardest away days' on Sky One about 15 years ago? Rocky the Burnley fan?

• Haha 1

Hard to believe Burnley were one game away from non-league football, no doubt he was there, not something he would forget. Probably the European semi-final was before his time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, robf said:

Dave was from Wolstanton originally I think; changed his surname from Beeston. I remember him telling the story about him coming on in a pre season game to a bunch of us.

Good luck with getting the train from Longport Dave - last time I tried a few weeks ago it was cancelled. 

Edited by Heatwave
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Doha said:

VP to Longport station ready to board in 5 minutes? Don't think he'll make that!

Anyone remember 'footballs hardest away days' on Sky One about 15 years ago? Rocky the Burnley fan?

Slightly off topic but I've just bought a book 'Fever Hitch' that's written by a blades fan who hitched to almost every game one season, he appeared also on Footballs Hardest Away Days.  He did a similar thing with a band that I like, only in this case 101 gigs, that's how I got to know about it.

Edited by NellyTheValiant
  • Like 1

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/match-reports/live-port-vale-burnley-report-3114755

Scott Brown; James Gibbons, Leon Legge, Nathan Smith, Adam Crookes; Luke Joyce, Tom Conlon, David Worrall, David Amoo, Tom Pope, Richie Bennett.
Subs: Johnny Maddison, Connell Rawlinson, Kieran Kennedy, Scott Burgess, Dan Trickett-Smith, Mark Cullen, Callum Evans, Ryan Campbell-Gordon.

2 minutes ago, ginginator said:

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/match-reports/live-port-vale-burnley-report-3114755

Scott Brown; James Gibbons, Leon Legge, Nathan Smith, Adam Crookes; Luke Joyce, Tom Conlon, David Worrall, David Amoo, Tom Pope, Richie Bennett.
Subs: Johnny Maddison, Connell Rawlinson, Kieran Kennedy, Scott Burgess, Dan Trickett-Smith, Mark Cullen, Callum Evans, Ryan Campbell-Gordon.

4-4-2 with Pope and Bennett up top and Amoo + Worrall on the wings?

Or 4-3-3 with Worrall at CM?

1 hour ago, valefan16 said:

No Rhys Browne I see. Wonder if he’s still here! Assume Cummings has left

Think Carlisle have Browne on trial at the moment. 

On 19/07/2019 at 13:27, elav trop 1876 said:

Dave lives in madeley met him a few times as he has gone burnley games with my mate (usually has a stoke on trent clarets flag)
Does as much work in the summer then casual work in the winter as he cant hold a permanent job as bosses dont seem to be able to give him time off for his beloved burnley..think if memory correct, him n his friend when young decided to pick a different team to support think his mate chose liverpool he then chose burnley ..
Certainly a character and top bloke , usually gets lifts to games sets off really early in case any hiccups or breakdown then has others supporters (both home n away fans) on stand by to carry on the journey to get him to the game in plenty of time.

I've read his two books. True dedication (and a bit mad). Helped me to keep faith in The Vale a couple of years back when we were close to the drop out of the league. I'd recommend them to any lower league football supporter.

I've never met him but I know his daughter, Clarette. 

6 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Played well for 60 minutes, then the subs came on.  We looked very weak thereafter.

Still looking very short of attacking options and goals.

I would have always expected a strong premier league line up to take it to us at some point in the game!

Good run out and Askey will have learned a lot against very very good opposition.

I think with Manny being missing and using Worrall in the centre we lose some attacking threat. IMO Worrall is better out on the right where he can link up with gibbons. 

But I wouldn’t be surprised if today’s starting 11 is the side Askey is thinking of playing come the first game of the season in the event of Manny not being fit. 

4 hours ago, valefan16 said:

No Rhys Browne I see. Wonder if he’s still here! Assume Cummings has left

Did his hamstring v Fleetwood. He was there today.