onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Ray Williams

shian

Advert

I like Ray. I was really hard on him a few years back when Adams told people (or allowed the rumour to spread) that he was sacked for scouting for Crewe whilst working for Vale. It turned out that that story wasn't the truth and despite me being very critical and abusive towards Ray because of the lies I'd believed, he was extremely gracious about it and I have a lot of respect for the man because of that. He's bloody miserable sometimes, but there aren't many of us who've enjoyed going to Vale games for the last few years. He's not employed to be a cheerleader and I think much of the time when he sounds negative, it's because he's accurately describing the dross in front of him.

Is this serious?

Genuinely I would never, ever, have thought that.

Is he someone that's converted to Crewe through covering them for so long then?

Feel bad, I've always disliked him as I'd got him down as typical crewe. Bit like that Len guy.

Most players don't get to play for the team they support but it doesn't stop them from being professional and playing as well as they can. McGarry is paid to be a commentator and does his best. His style is being upbeat and positive for the team he is commentating on. Ray is a bit more dour and his commentary reflects this. McGarry is definitely a Vale fan though.

Why oh why do we have to put up with William's negativity on radio Stoke week in and week out put him out to graze at the Bet 365 cus I reckon he is a closet Stokey. If one of the Stoke commentators was as negative as Williams he'd be removed, I know Pejic can be negative towards Stoke but not all the time, where as Williams never has a good word for the Vale. Just hope he's not on the radio today.

I know Ray and a more passionate Vale man (not fan) you would struggle to meet. I don’t always agree with his comments but he loves the club & with more provenance than anyone I know.

Why can people be beyond negative on here, but he can’t be negative in his commentary?

Many say he should ‘be neutral and comment what you see’. Well, if people on here, including myself, is anything to go by, he is doing exactly that!

If what you see is crap, there’s a fair chance that what he sees, is crap as well.

Sometimes they say things that are too negative, but hell, so do I! For Gods sake; I threw a bottle across the room and smashed it on the wall in anger, when Boot gifted Swindon that goal at their place last season. That was a bit ott, but if I can get frustrated with what I see, then so can they. And if I don’t like what I’m hearing... there’s an off button on my device 😉

Guest TommyMac

Anyone who moans about Ray's comments hasn't been paying attention for the last 2 and 1/2 years. There's been very little to be positive about so what would you want him to say!

McGarry is paid to be a commentator and does his best.

An inhabitant of Monkey Forest could ask more challenging questions than McGarry.

He's in a cushy job and he clearly wants to keep it that way with his fawning, banal and frankly idiotic "questions" that are all about not ruffling the feathers of the interviewee.

Ray says it as he sees it and I would rather listen to someone who gives an honest opinion.Listen to Adam Yates saying Barnett should be in the team makes you realise how good Ray is.We all know Vale have been crap for the last two years and this obvious to someone like Ray who has seen better players at the Vale.

Most of Vale’s existence has been crap.:laugh:

I think the media and the Vale feel they need eachother. The Vale coverage on RS is generally derisory but I hang on to pick up the line ups and explanation from coaching staff before the game and manager interview after.

Sifting through the dross about Stoke and Crewe in whom I have zero interest and the usual suspects phoning in with inane comments makes it a close run thing whether I listen at all. The Williams / Yates stuff I’m fairly neutral about.

Archived