onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Ray Williams

shian

Big Vale fan, so too Graham M, however they've got difficult jobs keeping happy when sometimes we are ***** and occasionally awesome. If we do really well and he's moaning then time to go

I've heard that McGarry is supposedly a Vale fan, but I can't stand him as a commentator just as I cannot stand the club he really loves - Crewe

Advert

I've heard that McGarry is supposedly a Vale fan, but I can't stand him as a commentator just as I cannot stand the club he really loves - Crewe

I'd question how much of a Vale fan he is the way he has orgasms when talking about Crewe. I know he has to be partial when commentating on a local side but that doesn't stop Ray and the Vale match commentators telling it how it is.

And never forget: as with everything on tv and radio, if you don't like what you see or hear, turn it off or pick something else. :smile:

It's a free world, you know :yes:

And never forget a football forum is the online equivalent of a chat in the pub, where you can say within reason what you want.

They should be neutral

I think this is the point... I'm sure Ray is a lovely bloke and a vale fan, but as a commentator he finds the negative in EVERYTHING. I watched the FGR game on iplayer so had a chance to watch the game whilst also listening to Ray as I dont listen to the radio at the games.

You would have thought we were playing Barcelona the way he cooed about them all game. We came out in the 2nd half and were the better side... there are two ways to report on that as a commentator:

1. Praise the vale for increasing their work rate, getting back in the game and swinging the momentum back our way.

2. State that its because FGR had decided to take their foot of the gas.

Ray chose the second option.

During Praise and Grumble, Ray was given a second chance and asked to comment on the SECOND HALF and how the vale had improved. There are two ways to respond to that question:

1. Praise the vale for increasing their work rate, getting back in the game and swinging the momentum back our way.

2. Say the the goal in the FIRST HALF was poor and then moan about it.

Ray chose the 2nd option.

I'm sure he is not doing it on purpose, but his default position is doom/gloom and negativity. Its not balanced.

That leaves us with a problem. There are a number of fans who who will only have his commentary as a reference point... therefore its no wonder that there as a down and out feel about the place sometimes... Praise and grumble often criticises the Vale fans for being too down, what do they expect after listening to Ray find the negative in everything!!!!

We laugh at the inbred Railway children down the road because they think they play the wonderful "Barcelona style Crewe way" of football... most of that is because it how their media presence portrays it.

Im not saying we should lie and make us out to be brilliant... but there are definitely times where there is a more positive spin to what Ray is saying... hell, I would take a more neutral way!!

For me Blakeman and Williams should be swapped out of Vale coverage. Blakeman in particular has no respect for fans who call in, you could hear that from the way he spoke to Stoke fans this weekend and the way he often speaks to Vale fans. Williams maybe jaded by what he has seen at the club, fine. But his negativity coupled with Blakeman being an obvious Stoke fan make it impossible listening at times. I agree with many who miss Cullerton, I find Sproston much more engaging and I'd take no coverage over Blakeman.

Why can people be beyond negative on here, but he can’t be negative in his commentary?

Not sure about you, bit I'm not getting paid to comment on here. hehe

But in all seriousness, I'm not saying he has to be a "Ray" of sunshine... but is a bloody dour b*gger!!

And there is a difference is pointing out the negatives and refusing to comment on the positives. I think Ray has crossed that line recently.

I think this is the point... I'm sure Ray is a lovely bloke and a vale fan, but as a commentator he finds the negative in EVERYTHING. I watched the FGR game on iplayer so had a chance to watch the game whilst also listening to Ray as I dont listen to the radio at the games.

You would have thought we were playing Barcelona the way he cooed about them all game. We came out in the 2nd half and were the better side... there are two ways to report on that as a commentator:

2. State that its because FGR had decided to take their foot of the gas.

Ray chose the second option.

During Praise and Grumble, Ray was given a second chance and asked to comment on the SECOND HALF and how the vale had improved. There are two ways to respond to that question:

2. Say the the goal in the FIRST HALF was poor and then moan about it.

Ray chose the 2nd option.

I'm sure he is not doing it on purpose, but his default position is doom/gloom and negativity. Its not balanced.

That leaves us with a problem. There are a number of fans who who will only have his commentary as a reference point... therefore its no wonder that there as a down and out feel about the place sometimes... Praise and grumble often criticises the Vale fans for being too down, what do they expect after listening to Ray find the negative in everything!!!!

We laugh at the inbred Railway children down the road because they think they play the wonderful "Barcelona style Crewe way" of football... most of that is because it how their media presence portrays it.

Im not saying we should lie and make us out to be brilliant... but there are definitely times where there is a more positive spin to what Ray is saying... hell, I would take a more neutral way!!

Spot on with all of this.

And never forget: as with everything on tv and radio, if you don't like what you see or hear, turn it off or pick something else. :smile:

It's a free world, you know :yes:

I do agree with this.. but we then get to the question of what the local media is for.

I believe the Ray is TOO negative. Therefore your suggestion is that because HE is too negative I should turn off the radio for away games and lose contact with my local club?

I believe that Ray should have more journalistic integrity and be at least NEUTRAL rather than finding the negative in everything so I dont have to miss out on my saturday enjoyment of following the Vale if they are at an away game I cant get to!

The trouble with football is that its an easy game to be negative about. There are so many different things a player can do in a game and everyone has a different opinion of what a player should be doing when he has the ball. It seems any easy default option to take, to pick out whats wrong, he should have done this, he didn't do that. You hear it on all commentary too from the premier league down.

Misplaced passes, a player carrying it instead of passing it, a backpass, a player passes left instead of right, a defender knocks it in to the corners seem to be common factors to illicit the groans and boos from the Vale fans. These things seem to taint peoples opinion of a players performance in the game as they are easy things to criticise. The fans are no different to whats picked up in a commentary.

If I can't get to a game I like to hear the little nuggest of info the ex players and scouts like Williams and Sproson throw in to the mix about what players are bringing to a game. Little things like the stuff they're doing off the ball or the things that they don't do even, the tactics that teams employ. Theres a lot of factors outside of having the ball that go towards a team performance and with that I have no problem with the negativity because I think in the main some of it is deserved. We've seem some bad errors for goals for example this season, we've had players out of position and we don't necessarily play a great style of football, how many league 2 clubs do? We rely on midfielders to get the ball and then energy down the wings to get crosses in and thats about it for us.

But I'd rather hear these ex-players than some neutral waffling on. At least the ex-players sound like they care about the club. On the other side of the coin you have Blakeman who doesn't seem to want to upset the club by agreeing with or seeming to support any fans criticism, I think he tries instead to belittle their opinion IMO.

Admittedly it was a few years ago, probably pre-Bruno, but that's understandable. I don't really blame him for not getting particularly positive about a draw with Forest Green.

There is a difference between not being particularly positive and not finding any positives out of turning a losing position into a draw after going behind. I’m not asking him to be giddy with joy... just balanced.

Comments on here will attest to the fact that on the scale of positive to negative ... Ray is heavily weighted in the negative camp.

Which means he overlooks the little nuggets of positivity that grinding out that result yielded. Which means fans that can’t get to a game think it was all terrible and don’t get to see that actually we changed things second half and reached a point. This will affect the atmoshpere around the place!

All we got from Ray is “FGR have taken their foot off the gas”

Admittedly it was a few years ago, probably pre-Bruno, but that's understandable. I don't really blame him for not getting particularly positive about a draw with Forest Green.

Backs up my view that suddenly he has a vendetta against someone at the club and has shifted to being EVEN more negative.

Didn’t Aspin mention that he was unhappy with the way certain people in the media were portraying things? Ray perhaps? Or am I remembering it wrong.

Archived