onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread - Port Vale v Cambridge United

Fosse69

Advert

First half an hour or so we looked a bit pedestrian and nervy, though I think we were simply seeing what Cambridge were all about. Second half we battered them and could and should have had a couple more. I said before the game on here that Pope and Miller could be the best partnership in the league, and nothing I saw today has made me change my mind at all. Rawlinson is a find, Montano the best full-back in League Two, and Oyeleke/Joyce are on a different plane to what we had last season in Tonge and Pugh. What a start!

First half an hour or so we looked a bit pedestrian and nervy, though I think we were simply seeing what Cambridge were all about. Second half we battered them and could and should have had a couple more. I said before the game on here that Pope and Miller could be the best partnership in the league, and nothing I saw today has made me change my mind at all. Rawlinson is a find, Montano the best full-back in League Two, and Oyeleke/Joyce are on a different plane to what we had last season in Tonge and Pugh. What a start!

Bob on with everything you say, especially with regard to the centre midfield. Many deserves a special mention for his role leading up to the second goal. Last season there's nor a cat in hells chance we would have nicked that ball back.

Back 4 looked solid, kept it simple and didn't make any stupid mistakes. They were very well protected by manny and Joyce. Miller playing off pope worked a treat. Hannant and Worrall both put a shift in.

Overall I thought we grew into the game gradually, playes well, fought for every ball, and had options going forward. Long may it continue!

Funny how the non proven league quality players did ever so well today.....

Aspo told us what he was going to do this summer, did it early with no frills, and here we are.

Sensible summer, 5k Vale fans, making fools of a team who put 5 past us 3 months ago. Both strikers scoring, Miller already justifying the fee and faith.

We’ve had a ***** two years and there will be more ***** nights this season. Let’s enjoy the optimism and excitement we’re feeling tonight that we haven’t felt in such a long time.

Up the Vale, and there’s only one Ricky Miller.

Aspo told us what he was going to do this summer, did it early with no frills, and here we are.

Sensible summer, 5k Vale fans, making fools of a team who put 5 past us 3 months ago. Both strikers scoring, Miller already justifying the fee and faith.

We’ve had a ***** two years and there will be more ***** nights this season. Let’s enjoy the optimism and excitement we’re feeling tonight that we haven’t felt in such a long time.

Up the Vale, and there’s only one Ricky Miller.

Top quotes above

1 game no pointer other than we looked well organised, keeper confident organising defenders allowing them to do their own jobs not covering others plus little amount of hoof long balls , had midfielders in joyce and manny keeping the ball with runners in Worrall and hannant with gibbo and monty in support and overlap, the midfielders winning back the ball and looking to get it forward by default rather than a pedestrian pace last year, miller ran his socks off can hold the ball,twist turn close down n can shoot this helps pope focus on his game rather than leading the line on his own meaning he looks even more of a threat...

Great start from Aspin - 1 game doesn't make a season but this time last year we were lucky to beat a crawley team cant say the same this year.

Do agree with the poster that they had 2-3 free headers and sure this will be worked but happy they didn't cut through us once

Can't wait for next Saturday's game at Colchester. They got a good result today with a goaless draw at Notts County and played a 3-4-2-1 formation with a back three of Kent, Prosser and Eastman, none of whom are blessed with much pace, so I'll bet they're really looking forward to dealing with our Rick. Hope we have a good ref!

Early days I know but it's looking good after today :smile:

Solid performance.

Brown looks assured, confident and commanding.

Back 4 were steady. Smith his usual self and looked better wth Rawlinson beside him. Rawlinson is a proper typical big lower league defender but he looks good on the ball, too.

Thought we looked good with Oyeleke and Joyce sat deep allowing Hannant/Worrall to get forward with Gibbons/Montano always on the overlap. The difference having those 2 in the middle makes is incredible.

Miller is certainly going to ruffle a few feathers and I can’t wait! His celebration shows he’s got a load of raw passion for the game and is the type of player you hate playing against but if he plays for you then you grow to love him. Very Lee Hughes-esque.

Final word for Tom Pope. Gives 110% every single game despite getting constant hassle from big horrible centr halves. Fantastic penalty, fantastic finish for the second goal, gutted he missed an easier chance for the hat trick. His all round game is just totally fantastic and having Miller up front with him is going to help him no end.

Good start but I’m not getting too carried away. Yet.

Miller- Pope, Miller- Pope. Get used to hearing that. They will destroy many a back 4 the way Pope wins headers everywhere and Miller takes a one touch with back to goal and flicks it onto team mates in an instance. Magic to watch. Oh, by the way Monty was my man of the match. He was absolutely unbeatable in the air 1st half and second half he was like an express train down that left wing.

Good solid performances all over the pitch and it's fantastic to keep a clean sheet too.

Not getting carried away but boy oh boy that was 1 million percent better than anything these past couple of seasons.

Got my Colchester ticket to support the lads in a season that surely will be the start of everything us Valiants want.

Archived