onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread - Port Vale v Cambridge United

Fosse69

Advert

How nice to have a thread that is mostly positive, which hasn't been hijacked by the naysayers who seem to revel in poor performances and results. All of the aforementioned are notable by their absence, though I've no doubt they'll be back in full strength when we lose/draw/play poorly

Well done Vale loved it with every player contributing to a man of the Match award. Pope and Miller were awesome. One swallow dunna make a summer as we know but this team looks like,as we all witnessed yesterday, they know how each other plays.Keep it up lads. VTID.

I thought the first half an hour we were shocking , after that we improved and second half we could of scored six .

For me manny doesn’t yet look 100% fit but when he is what a player we could have on our hands . Rawlinson was superb his reading of the game is excellent , Joyce did a lot of unseen work and as for miller the bloke is quality and a little bit nuts lol

I thought it was understandable that we were trying to keep it tight in the opening period of the game. You can't expect full backs to be constantly bombing on when they were playing 3 up front and the wingers were staying high. They have to pick and choose when to go and when not to. Teams want to stay in the game for the first 20 minutes and I thought it was very much a mature performance from our 2 inexperienced full backs. I can see why we were hitting channel balls to try and turn them around and put some pressure on them. But once we got the 2 goal cushion the game opened up for them much more (and Montano especially) and in general everyone was getting involved and getting on the ball.

Goals change games and there wasn't much in it until we scored from that great free-kick. They were looking just an inept as us in front of goal though the number ten was a threat. But once a team has to chase the game and commit more men forward then gaps open up.Confidence also makes a huge difference.

But until the first goal went in it could have gone either way. They were closing down our back four quickly and we played a lot of long balls, with very little reward. We needed more threat and pace down the wings to try and get behind their back-line, and more players running the channels. Most of the play was in front of their back four and I'm sure they thought it was heading for 0-0 at the break. But goals change games and it could have ended up about 6-2. The second half was very good, once the game became stretched.

We've been waxing lyrical about the newcomers (and rightly so). But my word didn't Tom Pope put in a shift? He looked lean and hungry and I'm not sure how he kept going in that heat for 90 minutes. A fantastic game from him.

Great second half performance. The only critical thing I can see is the defence seemed a little light sometimes from a physical perspective.

However very composed throughout the team and a willingness to play football too.

Brown - not a lot to do but never seemed worried about pressure from opposing players. Looks good.

Joyce - never heard of him before but thought he was under the radar for a lot of the game and got on with his job confidently and quietly - I mean this positively. Don't think he put a pass wrong all match and kept possession well too. More to come from him and I have a feeling he'll become a proper Vale star.

Manny - saw him at Aldershot and was impressed then so was very excited about his signing. He's got a lovely graceful manner about him. Always seems to glide along the ground and have loads of time.

Miller - bluddy hell what a debut. Seemed a little out of sorts for 30mins but got more into it. In the 2nd half he'd have torn any defender in half. Unplayable as you can get. I think the header he won against a 6foot+ defender summed up his enthusiasm. Not right to win that sort of ball but did and then set up a chance straight after.

His attitude, control, swagger and execution are all qualities we've all seen play at higher, if not the highest of levels. It's a bold statement, but I can see him playing in the top flight before the decade is out - IF he continues with the work rate. Love his bolshie attitude though. Hope he can stay at Vale longer but I can see him getting snapped up for a handsome price.

Rest of the players were looking good. Pope was razor sharp. Hannant I thought has become a much better player too. Looked very composed. Him and Montano look great together.

Vale do now look like a very tidy and effective team.

Well done Aspin and well done Norm for backing him.

I loved that performance from Miller but playing in the top flight before the decade is out?! Come off it. He’s 29, playing in league 2 and has just scored only his second league goal.

I’m all for Roy of the Rovers type fairy tales but I think that’s a bit of a stretch!

Lov your optimism though.

Great second half performance. The only critical thing I can see is the defence seemed a little light sometimes from a physical perspective.

I suppose it depends on who we are going to play, but you never know, there could come a time when Smith is dropped for Legg just for his physical presence or we see Kay come in to midfield with Joyce even. Maybe Vassell in one of the full back positions too. At the moment though, based on that opening days performance I think that side earnt the right to keep their place this coming Saturday.

I loved that performance from Miller but playing in the top flight before the decade is out?! Come off it. He’s 29, playing in league 2 and has just scored only his second league goal.

I’m all for Roy of the Rovers type fairy tales but I think that’s a bit of a stretch!

Lov your optimism though.

I never realised he was 29! LOL.

All the better for Vale then. Playing in the top flight WITH Vale then before the decade is out. :smile:

(I'm aware this is technically impossible)

I suppose it depends on who we are going to play, but you never know, there could come a time when Smith is dropped for Legg just for his physical presence or we see Kay come in to midfield with Joyce even. Maybe Vassell in one of the full back positions too. At the moment though, based on that opening days performance I think that side earnt the right to keep their place this coming Saturday.

Agree with that. The squad seems to have a lot of options without losing strength which can only be a good thing.

Nice feeling this!

Archived