onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Players in and out

Rampant Zebra

Advert

Regal, we haven’t always agreed, but you have always been a sensible and calm poster.

I don’t think Doha is saying anything other that Aspin has used the budget on less players therefore allowing him to pay higher wages.

I agree that Mansfield have paid over the odds... I think it’s nuts.

But I also don’t think we can sit back and say Norman has reinvested significant amounts of the transfer funds the club has coming in.

Miller would have cost less than £50k at a guess given their chairman admitted he was desperate to get rid. The undisclosed nature of the fee allows both chairmen to claim a win.

Let’s say miller is on £2k a week which is good money coming from us... when added to a £50k sign on that’s £154,000 assuming he gets paid that for 52 weeks rather than for just the season (something I have never understood about football contracts).

Given the inflows from the sold players (hugil instalments, Alnwick, grant, youth teamer sold for £150k)... all that’s being suggested is that, although that’s a good start, it doesn’t make up for his stupid decisions.

That’s the baseline I expect from the owner/custodian of our club.

And providing average performance doesn’t make up for being the cause of such underperformance just yet...

A few more years of not making stupid decisions (no one need me to repeat them) and he will start to make amends.

I’m just so so so fearful that he doesn’t have it in him not to interfere because “he knows better than everyone else”. When he doesn’t. Clearly.

I'm just always a fan of the longer term picture I think.

I see £2m+ in transfer income and think that we should slowly invest it back into the playing squad, rather than immediately start spending money which is not sustainable once that pot has gone. It would be terrible to gamble it all, get nowhere and then have to try and sell season tickets 2 years down the line when we know we're slashing the budget.

By all means invest it in players, calculated risks, but I don't think spending 6 figure sums on 29 year old strikers and then offering (relatively) enormous wages is worth it in league 2.

I trust Aspin to be able to pick out the odd gem which can generate funds down the line, and I honestly do trust Smurf to back him and Rudge within reason. That's actually Smurfs biggest problem, he can't seem to say no to managers (evidenced by the 30+ squads we've had for a few years now).

Hopefully, having strong characters around him (NS) will provide the stability to make sound decisions.

I'm pretty sure that JRs diplomatic style is also massively helpful.

Generally look a good team to me.

Their track record since October is very encouraging.

You are both right!

The problem is NS is a control freak of the worst kind

But!!!! I also think NA is his own man, if NS interferes to much, I fear the dream team would walk!!!

Just an opinion!!

Obviously the Dream Team have the club at heart, otherwise I doubt they would be there. But there are limits, hopefully NS appreciates what he has as the season(s) unfold.

Archived